• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Restricted Area Bus Routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
One Stagecoach in Oxfordshire route Gold S5 branch, the Arncott one serves a restricted area - St George's Barracks.

Locally in my area, there's the 430 & 435 (operated by Metrobus Crawley) which goes through a gated community residential area - Royal Earlswood Park. The 430 & 435 are Redhill & Reigate's town circulars.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
And outside of the UK, two routes that I know of which go through a restricted area are Rome city bus routes 763 and 789 operated by ATAC, well, RomaTPL (on behalf of ATAC Rome). The 763 and 789 both serve the Cecchignola military base, however there are no bus stops inside the restricted area. Would be interesting to film both routes, but to be on the safe side, I won't film the restricted area section. Especially considering that it's a military base, I don't want to be in trouble lol

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
And yes, the 763 and 789 are bus routes in Italy. Well after all, you may be aware that Rome is the capital of Italy you know...

Deerfold

Veteran Member
London's 175 to the Dagenham Ford Works. Security would sometimes check the bus at the entrance and kick off anyone who wasn't a Ford employee or visitor.

When I was a student in Nottingham, I once realised a journey I wanted to make could be done by catching two Boots works services instead of catching a bus into the city centre and another back out. I caught the bus in, past the Boots Works security post. I'm not sure if I was supposed to be allowed in - I certainly wouldn't have got in by foot or car. I got off the bus to change. It rolled its blind round to the route I wanted and I reboarded (it wasn't obvious that would happen - there were several buses there for the same shift time). I didn't try that again in case it got complicated.

67thave

And outside of the UK, two routes that I know of which go through a restricted area are Rome city bus routes 763 and 789 operated by ATAC, well, RomaTPL (on behalf of ATAC Rome). The 763 and 789 both serve the Cecchignola military base, however there are no bus stops inside the restricted area. Would be interesting to film both routes, but to be on the safe side, I won't film the restricted area section. Especially considering that it's a military base, I don't want to be in trouble lol
Similarly, Camp Pendleton (a US Army installation near Oceanside, CA) has a couple of NCTD bus routes which run onto its property, which have restrictions on who can use them to travel on/off the property.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Similarly, Camp Pendleton (a US Army installation near Oceanside, CA) has a couple of NCTD bus routes which run onto its property, which have restrictions on who can use them to travel on/off the property.

Yeah I've noticed that. The 392 is one of these routes.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Non-UK again...in Hong Kong, the border village of Sha Tau Kok is served by the 78K, and in this case only the terminus is in the restricted area. Only residents are allowed that far (but there is a border checkpoint there, accessible to all by coach/lorry!)
Here are a few short clips of the route in question (link is time-stamped, so no need to go searching lol), recorded in 2014 when KMB still had plenty of 'classic' Olympians in service, one of which (3AV133) is recorded stopping at the checkpoint at Sha Tau Kok so the attendent can check for any unscrupulous characters before allowing the bus to proceed.

83G/84D

Established Member
*Mod note* Posts from here on have been moved to the this thread which already existed.

Are there currently any regular scheduled bus services that at some point during their journey enter restricted areas, where all passengers may or may not remain on board the bus?
This might include military establishments or other sensitive areas where security checks etc are normally carried out.

I do not mean events such as the one off annual "Imberbus" on Salisbury Plain.

Last edited by a moderator:

duncanp

Established Member
During the Second World War, there were armed guards aboard London Transport country bus route 410, which passed Biggin Hill airfield.

Buses available to the general public are usually diverted away from sensitive areas nowadays unless there is no alternative.

One such example is double decker buses being banned from passing in front of Buckingham Palace, for security reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.