• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Ridiculously long platforms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flappy8

On all lines? It might come in handy one day, but how many stoppers are on the fast lines? Anyway, it's not what I was told when I was working on it.
A

The main reason there is full length on the fasts at Harrow is to allow the LM trains to stop during disruption or during weekends. Either fast or the slow is closed many weekends a year for engineering work

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tracked

Established Member
The platforms at Skegness seem long for the day-to-day services they usually see, I've been a couple of times early summer and it's been 2-car 158's both times, though even double that would still leave a lot of station unused.

Also, a few too many platforms for the services it gets, does it get busier over summer holiday season?

NoMorePacers

Established Member
The platforms at Skegness seem long for the day-to-day services they usually see, I've been a couple of times early summer and it's been 2-car 158's both times, though even double that would still leave a lot of station unused.

Also, a few too many platforms for the services it gets, does it get busier over summer holiday season?
They were designed for loco-hauled trains of at least 1+6 formation, and sometimes even longer. And back in the day, Skegness had 6 platforms and saw services to Peterborough and London.

D1009

Established Member
They were designed for loco-hauled trains of at least 1+6 formation, and sometimes even longer. And back in the day, Skegness had 6 platforms and saw services to Peterborough and London.
In my day there were 7 platforms, and the trains were much longer than 1+6, more like 2 class 20s with 11. Does it still get the HST on summer Saturdays?

LesF

Hampton-in-Arden. About 260m but since B'ham International was built, only local services stop there. Much of both plats is fenced off and overgrown. The plats will be dug up if we ever get the 4-tracking wanted by Centro.

sarahj

Established Member
Newhaven Marine!!!!

:p

Attachments

• 0005.jpg
    0005.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 0003.jpg
    0003.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 44

Groningen

Established Member
At 1,977 feet 4 inches (602.69 m) Gloucester has the second longest railway platform in Great Britain, just behind Colchester (2034 ft, 620 m).

Phil.

Established Member
At 1,977 feet 4 inches (602.69 m) Gloucester has the second longest railway platform in Great Britain, just behind Colchester (2034 ft, 620 m).

As I recall, Colchester's is not a continuous platform face like Gloucester's is. When it comes to usable platform faces I believe that number 1 and 2 on the list is Gloucester and Cambridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.