• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Right hand running

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
Excluding multi track lines paired by use (which can appear to be right hand running), how many examples of right hand running are there on the UK mainline network,and which is the longest?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SeanG

The passing loops on the West Highland Line seem to have this. I'm not sure why though...

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Loops on the WHL spring to mind, can't think of any longer stretches. The loop at Axminster was right-handed when it was first introduced, don't know if it still is.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Excluding multi track lines paired by use (which can appear to be right hand running), how many examples of right hand running are there on the UK mainline network,and which is the longest?

Are lines signalled for bi-directional movements allowed? If so you can do right hand running either side of Swindon, but not on a timetabled basis.

A Challenge

Established Member
If a train is leaving Crediton for Barnstaple and one is arriving from Okehampton, then that assists to be right hand running as it is two unconnected single lines.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As mentioned above Axminster had RH running when the dynamic loop was first brought into use a few years ago, it was explained to me on opening day that the position of the existing single tracks either side of the loops meant that the fastest (straighter) route through the points led to the “wrong” side of the doubled section. 85 mph vs 50 mph. So they reasoned that arriving trains, (already running at line speed), could make better use of those speeds than departing trains.

Then after a couple of timetable periods they switched to the usual LH running, so presumably the theoretical benefits didn’t work out, or were found to be unnecessary.

The current online sectional appendix (Feb 2020) still describes Axminster as normally using RH running, the individual page is from 2015. RTT and the OTT track map seem to show LH running is usual...

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think it's something to do with sprung points, but I could be mistaken.
I think it was because some of them had sidings off them which became trailing with right-hand running, therefore didn't need to have facing point locks or some RETB-compatible equivalent. The Ffestiniog has right-hand running in its loops, for reasons unknown to me.

Snow1964

Established Member
There is a section of Victoria line near Euston (where tunnels rolled over each other) so they could provide cross platform interchange with Northern (City Branch), both are roughly East-West here, but go North from opposite ends

There is a section on Central Line (White City) because a loop was added on a more shallow gradient than the original single track depot spur to original end of line at Shepherds Bush, the uphill westbound line loops under the old spur. It was much more obvious where it broke into open air, until it was altered during construction of Westfield undercroft (car parks and new stabling sidings). If you look at Westfield shopping centre plan, the lower level of car park is smaller to fit around the Central Line.

When the Eurostars were at Waterloo, departing trains used right hand track, and occasionally passed an inbound Eurostar on adjacent track. Strictly the northenmost was a reversible line, but the second inbound track wasn't reversible. Still sometimes get Reading trains using that line to Queenstown Road

Last edited:

The passing loops on the West Highland Line seem to have this. I'm not sure why though...

I think it's something to do with sprung points, but I could be mistaken.

I think it was because some of them had sidings off them which became trailing with right-hand running, therefore didn't need to have facing point locks or some RETB-compatible equivalent. The Ffestiniog has right-hand running in its loops, for reasons unknown to me.

It's only some of the West Highland loops. I think 61653 HTAFC is on the right track -- my understanding is that the automatic points mean (or meant) that you can only enter a loop in the direction of normal running, and at some stations the location of the points for the siding means that with left-hand running it would be impossible for a train of any length to enter the siding. This means that the siding points are now facing points, although pre-RETB they would have been trailing.

If I haven't explained this clearly, hopefully this picture will make it clearer.

I don't know what the reason is on the Ffestiniog, but I think I've seen published photos from many decades ago showing right-hand running. I wonder whether it dates right back to the 1830s and if at that time there wasn't yet an established national convention about which track trains used. That's just speculation, though.

I don't know whether this meets the OP's criteria, but elsewhere on the system there are some passing loops that are only used when trains need to pass, meaning that non-passing trains in one direction run on the right. If I remember rightly Kenilworth is an example where this happens because the loop is subject to a lower speed limit than the other track, and Gillingham (Dorset) one where it's done so passengers can use the more convenient platform.

Grecian 1998

As mentioned above Axminster had RH running when the dynamic loop was first brought into use a few years ago, it was explained to me on opening day that the position of the existing single tracks either side of the loops meant that the fastest (straighter) route through the points led to the “wrong” side of the doubled section. 85 mph vs 50 mph. So they reasoned that arriving trains, (already running at line speed), could make better use of those speeds than departing trains.

Then after a couple of timetable periods they switched to the usual LH running, so presumably the theoretical benefits didn’t work out, or were found to be unnecessary.

The current online sectional appendix (Feb 2020) still describes Axminster as normally using RH running, the individual page is from 2015. RTT and the OTT track map seem to show LH running is usual...

The suggestion I heard was that it was decided it was more beneficial to give down trains a faster run at Honiton bank by not slowing them to 50mph, than to continue using RH running.

Every time there's a signalling problem, the loop seems to revert to RH running, so I think this is still the default position and presumably has to be overridden, but reverts whenever there's a problem.

I don't know whether this meets the OP's criteria, but elsewhere on the system there are some passing loops that are only used when trains need to pass, meaning that non-passing trains in one direction run on the right. If I remember rightly Kenilworth is an example where this happens because the loop is subject to a lower speed limit than the other track, and Gillingham (Dorset) one where it's done so passengers can use the more convenient platform.

Not Gillingham (Dorset) - the default position is that all trains use the up line when the loop isn't in use, but use LH running when it is. However on the same route both Tisbury and Chard Junction loops are set up so that when two trains are scheduled to pass, the first to get there uses the down line(towards Exeter), which is the loop line. The second can then use the up line without stopping. If the Waterloo bound train gets there first, the Exeter bound train will usually pass it at speed, creating the impression of RH running. Admittedly at Tisbury most Exeter bound trains will be slowing for the station anyway, but at Chard Junction you can see trains racing through at speed doing this.

Not Gillingham (Dorset) - the default position is that all trains use the up line when the loop isn't in use, but use LH running when it is. However on the same route both Tisbury and Chard Junction loops are set up so that when two trains are scheduled to pass, the first to get there uses the down line(towards Exeter), which is the loop line. The second can then use the up line without stopping. If the Waterloo bound train gets there first, the Exeter bound train will usually pass it at speed, creating the impression of RH running. Admittedly at Tisbury most Exeter bound trains will be slowing for the station anyway, but at Chard Junction you can see trains racing through at speed doing this.

Yes, that's what I meant about Gillingham -- sorry if I wasn't clear. Now you mention it, I think Kenilworth may work in the same way as Tisbury and Chard Junction, although in my experience trains don't pass there very often.

Crossover

Established Member
It's only some of the West Highland loops.

Correct. A couple of examples from my trip up that way in summer being that Garelochhead was RH running but Arrochar and Tarbet, the next station north, was LH running

There may be a few of them if counted. The loop near the closed IBM on the Wemyss Bay line is such - trains from Glasgow run to the right of the loop towards Wemyss Bay unless they need to pass another train on the line (which is only a few a day)
I think there may be another such example on the East Kilbride line and the Merryton Loop (Larkhall Branch) too

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There may be a few of them if counted. The loop near the closed IBM on the Wemyss Bay line is such - trains from Glasgow run to the right of the loop towards Wemyss Bay unless they need to pass another train on the line (which is only a few a day)
I think there may be another such example on the East Kilbride line and the Merryton Loop (Larkhall Branch) too
Also some on the Highland Main Line - seemed to be a thing in Scotland in the 1970s and 80s, complete with approach-lit signals which were another Scottish thing. The signal for the loop exit would only light when there was a train waiting in the loop, so as not to confuse the driver of a train taking the straight track which had no signal.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Warrington Bank Quay to Winwick Jn. The bidirectional "Up Slow" is used northbound daily (except Sundays) by trains to Liverpool Lime St.

Doomotron

Dover Priory station? Platform 1 is used almost entirely both way as 2 and 3 are used for terminating trains.

I wonder if the Eurostar platforms at Ashford are RH running?

Dai Corner

Established Member
Up trains at Bargoed and Down trains at Weston-super-Mare tend to use the platform nearest the main entrance which is on the right-hand line unless they need to cross another train.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Not all of them are - Glen Douglas, Arrochar & Tarbet, Crianlarich, Upper Tyndrum and Tulloch are all left-handed, the others are right-handed.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I wonder if the Eurostar platforms at Ashford are RH running?

HS1 is left-handed, as are French LGVs and most French Classic lines with the exception of those in Alsace-Lorraine (the railways there were built under German rule originally and Germany is right-hand running).

Not all of them are - Glen Douglas, Arrochar & Tarbet, Crianlarich, Upper Tyndrum and Tulloch are all left-handed, the others are right-handed.

Correct for the 'main line' to Fort William; on the Mallaig and Oban lines I think they're all left-handed except Taynuilt.

Are there any/many right-hand-running loops on the other RETB routes?

I believe the Muir of Ord station loop is right hand side running as well.

That's one if Kite is correct.

HS1 is left-handed, as are French LGVs and most French Classic lines with the exception of those in Alsace-Lorraine (the railways there were built under German rule originally and Germany is right-hand running).

I think some lines in Alsace-Lorraine were built by the French before 1870 and were then switched over by the Germans; as you say, the French then didn't switch them back after 1918.

InOban

Established Member
Yeah, it's just Taynuilt on the Oban branch.

That suggests that there are several, but there are only two passing loops! And as you say, Taynuilt is RH, Dalmally is LH.

Status
Not open for further replies.