• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Rolling Stock you have seen being transported by Alleleys

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClagLover

On Moderation
Whenever I’m on the motorway I always wish I could see a train being transported by Alleleys.
Have any of you ever spotted a unit/loco being transported? If yes, what was it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Three 1962 Underground carriages heading along the M3 for scrapping at Eastleigh. Off at the next junction and photographed them from the overbridge.

Spent an afternoon at Northwood Hills watching C stock arrive, get loaded onto trailers and carted off to Rotherham for scrap.

Track machine on a trailer in Southall, alas no camera with me.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
When I worked at the Railway Technical Centre they and their competitors were fairly frequent visitors. I don't recall seeing any on the road, then again I don't drive much. A few years ago I was visiting Manchester Museum of Science and Industry when they were loading up the Thomas that had featured in an event the day before.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Very recently on my very local m42 motorway going to scrap in ilkeston various ex chiltern railways mk3 slam door coaches the ex original banbury commuter set ie the one sent to long marston march 2020.
Also some ex arriva mk3 buffet coaches ie blue livery and mk3 ex virgin livery ones.
Early 2020 approx a coach from 319004 going for scrap as well.
Also a class 31 going to another preserved line.
Also a pacer 143 vehicle going to chasewater.
Also a ex sleeper caledonian vehicle mk3 going to private use as well.

ClagLover

On Moderation
Very recently on my very local m42 motorway going to scrap in ilkeston various ex chiltern railways mk3 slam door coaches the ex original banbury commuter set ie the one sent to long marston march 2020.
Also some ex arriva mk3 buffet coaches ie blue livery and mk3 ex virgin livery ones.
Early 2020 approx a coach from 319004 going for scrap as well.
Also a class 31 going to another preserved line.
Also a pacer 143 vehicle going to chasewater.
Also a ex sleeper caledonian vehicle mk3 going to private use as well.
Lucky you! I’ve only ever, as yet, seen them on the telly.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Lucky you! I’ve only ever, as yet, seen them on the telly.
Yes . They seem to use the m42. When I come home from work around 13pm to 14pm.
A very good time. To see them. The moves.
However alleys do have a lot off work and are always at long marston in particular.
Which long marston is very close to the m42 via the road network etc via studley or via the Stratford upon avon relief avoider a46.
Also long marston is very local to me. Just the other side off Stratford upon avon about 5 to 6 miles.
Sometimes when passing long marston for a drive or walk etc.
There has been some alleys trucks and loaders in there in recent times.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Years ago I was driving past Stott Hall Farm on the M62 and overtook an Allely's wagon carrying D9002/55002 to Bury for restoration work.

D6975

Established Member
I saw a 31 at Upperby on a trailer waiting for a tractor unit to collect it back in the days when the goyles were being withdrawn by the shedload. Also seen a kettle on the M5 coming back from a West Somerset Gala.

hst43102

A few years ago I saw a lot of London Underground C stock on the way to Booths for scrap.
I've also seen a few Mk3 coaches on the motorways - not sure where they were going to.

01d-and

196 on the M5 a few weeks ago.
Guess that was the same that one I saw. I saw a rough looking Mk 2 coach on the M5 last week but have lost the piece of paper I wrote the number down on. As for Alleleys , a few years back they used to park up overnight on the A441 Alvechurch bypass in North Worcestershire. Actually , that would be quite a few years back as often ,the load was an ex Royal Mail / RES coach.

warwickshire

On Moderation
A few years ago I saw a lot of London Underground C stock on the way to Booths for scrap.
I've also seen a few Mk3 coaches on the motorways - not sure where they were going to.
Some have gone from long marston to ilkeston via the m42 and hauled by alleys haulage

adc82140

Established Member
Thomas the Tank Engine on the A31 near Alresford heading for the Mid Hants. It was foggy and half light. Very surreal bearing down on that face grinning at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.