[Trivia] Services between namesake stations

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by aye2beeviasea, 23 May 2019.

1. 700007

700007 Member

Where's that like button! :lol:

2. coolrobert21

coolrobert21 Member

Newport (South Wales) and Newport (Essex), that would be VERY confusing if someone was doing that journey

3. Ken H

Ken H Established Member

I think Clapham(Yorkshire) had London - Scotland trains before the Settle Carlisle was built. So Clapham -Clapham isnt as daft as it sounds. Dunno if the Anglo-Scottish trains would have stopped at Clapham though.

4. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

Hayes(Middlesex) to Hayes(Kent) looks no more possible post-Crossrail than before, unless a fair bit of wiring goes up in S.E. London!

5. Royston Vasey

Royston Vasey Established Member

You can travel directly from Southampton to Wolverhampton and Wolverhampton to Northampton, but sadly not from Southampton to Northampton (not without a change!)

6. duncanp

duncanp Member

There have been in the past Glasgow Central to Stranraer via Kilmarnock services, calling at Barrhead and Barrhill.

Other station name pairings, albeit with no direct services, are Earlswood (West Midlands and Surrey) and St Margarets (Hertfordshire and Middlesex).

In the West Midlands, Blake Street is next to Butler's Lane, which makes me think of On The Buses every time I see it on the map.

7. maxbarnish

maxbarnish Member

Not exactly the same thing, but seen plenty of confusion between Pollokshaws West and Pollokshields West in Glasgow - so much so that guards apparently routinely pass tickets for either to either - I've been on the wrong one before, someone else got the tickets though - don't think I'd make that mistake myself

8. 700007

700007 Member

You can get a direct train from Wolverton to Wolverhampton via Northampton courtesy of the latest timetable change!

9. 700007

700007 Member

Wasn't the original ThamesLink proposal years back set to take over the Hayes branch until TfL expressed interest in running it? If so, Farringdon could have had direct trains to Hayes, Harlington and Hayes & Harlington!

10. martinsh

martinsh Established Member

Surprised no-one has mentioned Rugeley Trent Valley to Lichfield Trent Valley (and in the past on to Nuneaton Trent Valley)

11. County School

County School Member

In the past Central Trains' Lincoln-Birmingham services would have travelled via Burton Joyce and Burton on Trent

12. Bringback309s

Bringback309s Member

Blackfriars to Blackheath on a weekend thameslink diversion

13. causton

causton Established Member

Bit of a cheat as they are named that way specifically as they are on the same line!

Like the old Kings Cross Thameslink and City Thameslink :lol:

14. Old Yard Dog

Old Yard Dog Member

In the mid 1960's, I caught a "boat train" from Bradford Exchange to Liverpool Exchange for the IOM ferry. It would have passed through Manchester Exchange but I think without stopping. None of these stations exist anymore and the name "Exchange" is now "bereft of life and pushing up the daisies". Wrexham Exchange has now, of course, been subsumed into Wrexham General.

15. LewFinnis

LewFinnis Member

In Kent you can go from Sandling to Sandwich (and vice-versa) at least during Mon-Fri peaks

16. onlinespotting

onlinespotting Member

Has there ever been a Liverpool Street to Liverpool Lime Street?

17. 700007

700007 Member

Nope, Greater Anglia doesn't go anywhere near Liverpool.

18. krus_aragon

krus_aragon Established Member

If you look at the Heart of Wales Line, you'll find twelve of them!

19. Malcolmffc

Malcolmffc Member

Gatwick Airport -> Luton Airport Parkway?

20. Malcolmffc

Malcolmffc Member

Or indeed Heathrow Terminal 4 -> Heathrow Terminals 2&3?

21. leananger

leananger Member

Slightly off topic, on the Jubilee line you have West Ham to West Hampstead.

22. sd0733

sd0733 Established Member

Then can carry onto West Silvertown on the DLR

23. 341o2

341o2 Established Member

Until 1964, the Brighton to Plymouth service passed through Ford (Sussex) and Ford (Devon). The latter station had "Devon" on its station signs.

I've known someone to confuse Lymington with Leamington and Gillingham (Kent) with it's Dorset namesake

Ashurst (Kent) and Ashurst (New Forest)

Last edited: 11 Jun 2019
  24. snookertam

snookertam Member

Cathcart Circle services call at Pollokshields East, and Pollokshields West as their first and last stops to/from Glasgow Central.

En route they also call at Pollokshaws East, but not Pollokshaws West, which is on a different line altogether.

25. BluePenguin

BluePenguin On Moderation

You will be pleased to hear that one does! The 04:55 from Ramsgate stops at Chartham at 05:24 on the way to St Pancras.

26. A Challenge

A Challenge Established Member

That still didn't call at Chatham, though.

27. unlevel42

unlevel42 Member

I once met a Philipino man on the London train leaving Bangor who was returning to Libya after attending the International Seaweed symposium at the University in about 1973.
    He had one of those booklets of coupon type tickets.
    At the ticket inspection after the Junction, the guard giggled and showed me my new found friends' ticket.
    It was the return coupon for a return rail journey from Bangor, Antrim to Belfast and a BEA London ticket from Belfast Airport.
    Included was a coupon signed by the Chief Clecker at Euston granting free travel in both directions and an instruction to staff to offer maximum assistance.

28. JBuchananGB

JBuchananGB Member

No direct service available between Stansted Airport and Southend Airport, but I once advised a young Australian couple with two very large suitcases as the Southend train approached Romford that to get to Stansted Airport they should alight there and return to London to catch a train to Stansted. I hope they caught their flight.

29. JBuchananGB

JBuchananGB Member

Euston to Euxton. Journey requires a change at Wigan but the Euston to Blackpool train passes through Euxton.

30. Silver Cobra

Silver Cobra Member

There's a few East Midlands Trains services per day that call at both Peterborough and Attleborough