• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Services (or diagrams) operated by multi-mode/voltage rolling stock that do not use one of those modes/voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
We now have numerous fleets of multi-mode and voltage rolling stock in the UK, and it has got me wondering how many services there are where such stock is used without using one of their modes/voltages for any of its length.

For example, the vast majority of the Southern’s services count as they are operated by dual voltage 313s and 377s on third rail track only. Similarly, any service operated by a dual voltage on overhead electrified track only would also count, as would a bi-mode operated service not using its diesel OR electric power en route.

For the purposes of this thread, I am looking for individual TOC and OAO scheduled services rather than routes in general, but diagrams are also acceptable if there are any that only use one of their modes/voltages for the entire diagram, including during ECS moves.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
We now have numerous fleets of multi-mode and voltage rolling stock in the UK, and it has got me wondering how many services there are where such stock is used without using one of their modes/voltages for any of its length.

For example, the vast majority of the Southern’s services count as they are operated by dual voltage 313s and 377s on third rail track only. Similarly, any service operated by a dual voltage on overhead electrified track only would also count, as would a bi-mode operated service not using its diesel OR electric power en route.

For the purposes of this thread, I am looking for individual TOC and OAO scheduled services rather than routes in general, but diagrams are also acceptable if there are any that only use one of their modes/voltages for the entire diagram, including during ECS moves.

Southern's a poor example as most of their 377s are third rail only, with specific diagrams for the handful of dual voltage units, and all of the 313s have had pantographs removed! SouthEasterns 375/6s and 377/5s would be better examples of DV stock running exclusively on third rail

Other ones that come to mind are the 350/1s at LNWR which are dual voltage but run under OLE only, plus the few LNER 800s that work all-electric diagrams. If you were feeling especially pedantic you could say all 801s would qualify as they've all got their 'limp home' engine, although you wouldn't want to run a service reliant on it!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Greater Anglia 755s only use diesel capability on:
-Norwich-Sheringham
-Norwich-Great Yarmouth
-Norwich-Lowestoft
-Ipswich-Lowestoft
-Marks Tey-Sudbury

On Moderation
Southern's a poor example as most of their 377s are third rail only, with specific diagrams for the handful of dual voltage units, and all of the 313s have had pantographs removed! SouthEasterns 375/6s and 377/5s would be better examples of DV stock running exclusively on third rail

Other ones that come to mind are the 350/1s at LNWR which are dual voltage but run under OLE only, plus the few LNER 800s that work all-electric diagrams. If you were feeling especially pedantic you could say all 801s would qualify as they've all got their 'limp home' engine, although you wouldn't want to run a service reliant on it!
387/2s on GTR are dual voltage but only used on DC. 387/1s are dual voltage but only used on AC.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Are you looking for trains that are physically capable of running off multiple power sources, or also including units that have previously been dual-voltage but aren't anymore? The reason I ask is that the aforementioned Southern 313s in your original post have had their pantographs removed. Similar situations exist with Northern's Class 319s, Eurostar's remaining 373s and LNWR's Class 350/1s, which have all had their shoegear removed and now only run under overheads.

Domh245

Established Member
LNWR's Class 350/1s, which have all had their shoegear removed and now only run under overheads.

I believe the shoes are still in situ on the 350s - just cable tied up - you can just see the shoe itself in this picture under the shoebeam

PTR 444

Established Member
Are you looking for trains that are physically capable of running off multiple power sources, or also including units that have previously been dual-voltage but aren't anymore? The reason I ask is that the aforementioned Southern 313s in your original post have had their pantographs removed. Similar situations exist with Northern's Class 319s, Eurostar's remaining 373s and LNWR's Class 350/1s, which have all had their shoegear removed and now only run under overheads.
I was looking for those in the former category, but didn’t realise that the 313s have had their pantograph removed until now so apologies on my part.

Domh245

Established Member
Not actually relevant, they are neither multi-mode or dual voltage.

And doubly so because other than the first few early morning and last few late evening services, all XC voyagers continue on to unelectrified routes, and no avanti voyagers make it to Manchester

DanNCL

Established Member
All services booked for a 387 regardless of operator meet this criteria - diagrams booked for a 387/2 only operate on third rail, whilst all other 387 diagrams only operate on overhead wires.

There will likely be diagrams for the 700s on Thameslink that only run on overhead power (Kings Cross - Cambridge diagrams), as well as diagrams that run only on third rail (diagrams for routes to/from the bay platforms at Blackfriars).

The majority of Eurostar diagrams will also meet this criteria - only diagrams that visit Amsterdam use all three voltages that the 373s and 374s can operate from (25kV AC, 3kV DC and 1.5kV DC). As the 373s don't work to Amsterdam, this means that even during non-covid times no 373 diagram will use all three power supplies that they are capable of operating from.

fkofilee

769 Flex in Wales... I mean where will they use the Panto etc
And 769s working the ND Line from Gatwick to Reading... No OHLE except at reading which they wont use... But will still use 3rd Rail and Fuel Engine. (Future I know)
Southeaster 377/2 & 377/5 - Now that TL has full Class 700 - Those that were sent over to SE still have Pantos attached but never go further than Blackfriars etc
TL Class 700 that work the PB / CB to KX services also will only use OHLE. They do these quite regularly as normal services.

On Moderation
Southeaster 377/2 & 377/5 - Now that TL has full Class 700 - Those that were sent over to SE still have Pantos attached but never go further than Blackfriars etc
South Eastern haven't got any 377/2s.

fkofilee

South Eastern haven't got any 377/2s.
You are quite right, I thought I saw a 377/2 in Selhurst recently in SE Livery
Apologies... 377/5 are the only ones for SE.
Arhhh another one for you. Services on HS1 that terminate @ Ebbsfleet International - Never use 3rd rail! :)

py_megapixel

Established Member
All of the supposedly electric-only Hitachi units have a diesel engine which is only ever used in emergency.

Occasionally, before everything was extended down to London, an 800 sometimes ended up working a Swindon terminator from Cheltenham or vice-versa, a route which is entirely unelectrified except for Swindon station, and I don't believe they bothered putting the pan up.

Do the Bedford-Bletchley 230s retain their shoegear? If so, that's never used either.

The Great Northern 365s never use their third rail gear, though I've heard it's in very poor condition so couldn't just be put into service.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Both classes that operate the Caledonian Sleeper (73 and 92) can, in theory at least, operate on the 3rd rail. Not sure if the substations would cope if you sent a 92 down the Watford dc lines though. And, apart from the Glasgow Subway, the 73s don't get closer than 200 miles from the nearest 3rd rail, at Ormskirk.

Also on the Watford dc lines, the 710s (and 378s before them, and 313s before them) didn't need to use their pantographs

TXMISTA

All of the supposedly electric-only Hitachi units have a diesel engine which is only ever used in emergency.

Occasionally, before everything was extended down to London, an 800 sometimes ended up working a Swindon terminator from Cheltenham or vice-versa, a route which is entirely unelectrified except for Swindon station, and I don't believe they bothered putting the pan up.

Do the Bedford-Bletchley 230s retain their shoegear? If so, that's never used either.

The Great Northern 365s never use their third rail gear, though I've heard it's in very poor condition so couldn't just be put into service.
I believe the 230s had their shoe gears and other DC equipment removed so are diesel only

Energy

Established Member
365s lost the wiring looms for 3rd rail a while ago and would be difficult to source.

The 350/1s are probably the best example having spent all their life (bar a short time as Southern) not using 3rd rail.

FGW_DID

Established Member
And 769s working the ND Line from Gatwick to Reading... No OHLE except at reading which they wont use... But will still use 3rd Rail and Fuel Engine. (Future I know)

They will use the OHLE at Reading for the ECS moves between TCD & Station.

PTR 444

Established Member
And 769s working the ND Line from Gatwick to Reading... No OHLE except at reading which they wont use... But will still use 3rd Rail and Fuel Engine.
They will use the OHLE at Reading for the ECS moves between TCD & Station.
Aren’t 769s also planned to be used on the Thames Valley branches, in which case they would also be running under GWML wires during ECS moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.