• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Settlements that are most distant from any other in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
Settlements that are most distant from any other in the UK.

Some caveats:
Settlement - It has to be at least a hamlet so Pimbo, Kinbrace, Altnaharra is a yes but Achanalt and Sugar Loaf are a no as they only have a house nearby if at all. As far absolutes, let's say 5 houses.
Distant - it must be by vehicle-accessible roads that aren't private - Corrour is a no but Campbelltown is a yes.
UK - Northern Ireland included as well as the Channel Islands and the Scottish Islands but I doubt these would have such great distances.

My investigations:
Tongue is at least 13 miles from anywhere.
Kinbrace is at least 8 miles from anywhere as is Forsinard.
Cwmystwyth is at least 4 miles from anywhere.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Inverie in Knoydart. Home to Britain’s most remote mainland pub (and a particularly grumpy landlord).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I bet even he would seem welcoming at the moment. ;)

I doubt it.

He barred every single resident of the village, hence they have built their own off licence afterwards, known as ‘the Shed’, and have a village gathering / BBQ around it at weekends. You might be able to guess the form of construction of said establishment!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Is that the one that's only accessibly by ferry from Mallaig?

“ferry” yes (basically a converted trawler, although it does sell Skye Gold on board). Or there is a track accessible by 4x4.

It’s a lovely place in Summer. Wouldn’t fancy it in February.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The track is useful but runs out a few miles east of Inverie (at Loch an Dubh-Lochain) after which it's "no go" by vehicle.

That depends on your vehicle. There were 4x4 tyre tracks up over Mam Barrisdale last time I was there a couple of years back. Although I agree it wouldn’t be an easy drive.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
A Model T Ford was once driven up Ben Nevis in 1911. Took five days apparently. But you'd hardly call that an "accessible" track either.

jumble

I doubt it.

He barred every single resident of the village, hence they have built their own off licence afterwards, known as ‘the Shed’, and have a village gathering / BBQ around it at weekends. You might be able to guess the form of construction of said establishment!

He sounds like a modern day Basil Fawlty
Got to love the TripAdvisor on this place
I wonder if he will go bust now

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
He sounds like a modern day Basil Fawlty
Got to love the TripAdvisor on this place
I wonder if he will go bust now

He tried to sell up last year. Even though it’s only open half the year, he makes good money, or at least did till he barred the residents. I seriously thought about buying it, but then remembered that when I went it was one of the approx 4 days a year when it’s warm, sunny, and no midges.

Status
Not open for further replies.