• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Shortest usable platform thats not a bay platform in London

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazr

Today, I finally experienced the delights of Bushey Platform 3 (not usually available in daylight hours). For those that don't know, it barely fits a 4 car 350 on the usable part of the platform, which surprising is well kept and looks like it's been worked on recently(?). The rest of the platform is in a poor state. The platform is secured by a very large metal gate which you need to get someone to remotely open via help button (according to the sign). Is this the shortest non-bay platform in London?

Edit: Question relates to National Rail and not tram platforms, etc before anyone chimes in :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Bushey isn't in London ;)

The only one that immediate springs to mind would be Sudbury Hill Harrow or Sudbury & Harrow Road, neither of which are particularly long.

etr221

The ones that spring to my mind to check are those on the Greenford loop, and Emerson Park

Veteran Member
The ones that spring to my mind to check are those on the Greenford loop, and Emerson Park
Pedant alert! The OP hasn't specifically said "usable by the public" - the staff platforms at Durnsford Road (not sure what it's officially called now) and Battersea Pier (and Hoo Jn, but that's not London)? Battersea Pier would be the shortest.
Exit, pursued by....

IanD

Established Member
Upminster 1A? Is that 4-car?
Otherwise it must be the Greenford bay or other stations along that line to West Ealing.

I was at Upminster 1A on Saturday. Pretty sure it was a bay. And I'm 100% that the Greenford bay is too :rolleyes:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Rough measurement using google maps suggests that Drayton Green, Castle Bar Park, and South Greenford have platforms ~50m long, so not even long enough for a three car Networker (without SDO)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Methodology use to narrow search down:
Original post referenced a platform long enough (if only just) for a 4-car, 80m, unit. So anything else that accomodates such a unit is out- eg the Emerson park line.
So, who operates shorter units within London:
South Eastern
Southern
Southwestern
Great Western
Chiltern
Overground

The three Southern Region ones though never use their two or three car units on services on their own within London. So forget those
Chiltern do operate (I think?) two car services from Marylebone and Paddington, but all their stations can handle at least three car units.
Overground have recently had all their platforms currently served by two car DMUs extended for imminent four car EMUs.
So, GWR. Who operate two car trains on the Greenford branch, a line over which no other stopping passenger services operate. Quick bit of measurement, confirms platforms are too short for any three car unit without SDO to stop at.

(I think even the "short" platforms on the DLR are 60m?)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yes Chiltern run 2coach units on some services, normally on the off-peak Gerrard's Cross terminators and some Aylesbury services. Plus the evening peak West Ruislip shorts can produce single 2 coach units (which in true Chiltern style will depart from the far end of platform 6)

Veteran Member
The three Southern Region ones though never use their two or three car units on services on their own within London
Pedant again: apart from the Bromley North branch - whose platforms are 10 car length, so that's OK!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Pedant again: apart from the Bromley North branch - whose platforms are 10 car length, so that's OK!
I'd forgotten about Bromley North! Well, specifically Sunridge Park and platform 1 at Grove Park, as Bromley North itself is counted out anyway. But as you say, it has what are comically long platforms for the trains it sees, so I was saved.

pdeaves

Established Member
I think Battersea Pier staff halt is officially 3m long. Ha! Beat that!
Durnsford Road staff halt is 27m long.
For passenger carrying, within the general 'London' area, South Greenford platform 1 is 49m long (platform 2 is 51m); Castle bar Park is 50m (both platforms); Drayton Green platform 2 is 50m (platform 1 is 53m). Others are longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.