• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Similar sounding stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
I'll start:

Holton Heath
Hopton Heath

EDIT: Stations that sound similar enough so as to be misheard or mis-sold is the aim of this thread.

Hadfield
Hatfield

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Strathclyder

Established Member
The ones that instantly spring to my mind are...

Alexandra Parade
Alexandra Palace

Dalmeny
Dalmally

Pollokshields East/West
Pollokshaws East/West

And, if light rail is permitted...
Kelvinbridge
Kelvinhall

LAX54

Established Member
Reedham London
Reedham Norfolk

Last edited by a moderator:

mirodo

Mill Hill
Mills Hill
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Cottingham
Mottingham
Nottingham

Argosy

Well I'll give a more serious one

Girvan
Govan

The importance of this is in reporting incidents to the police. With a Scots accent it is often very difficult to decipher which one is which. It is fully expected that this will lead to someone dying in the not too distant future (quote at community council meeting). With the closure of Girvan police station the matter has been put more into focus and with both being in Strathclyde......

LowLevel

Established Member
I recently had to redirect an eastern European gentleman on my train who wanted to travel to Telford, despite his ticket saying that the booking clerk he asked for help printed him an itinerary for travel from the North East to Thetford. Luckily he hadn't gone too far into East Anglia when I found him.

I also had a passenger travelling to Norwich that the booking clerk at Glasgow Central had managed to sell a ticket to Northwich. Luckily he wasn't too miffed when I pointed out he'd have to pay an excess fare.

Michael.Y

Established Member
Slough
Stroud

Swindon
Swinton

Llanwrda
Llanwrtyd

Also make sure you get the right Whitchurch (3 of them, 2 on the ATW network), the right Garth, the right Pen-y-bont and the right Newport.

Last edited:

AndrewB

Oxford
Oxford Circus
Neath
Thornton Heath (Fort' n'eath)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Stafford and Stratford

(I take it we're discounting the "actually the same name" stations?)

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Not an entry as such, but I seem to recall reading a news paper article about a guy from Turkey who had got himself lost in Southampton trying to find the other station for his connection. After the services of a translator were obtained, it turned out he wanted to get to Northhampton - thinking "Hampton" was the place name and that it had a North and South station

pemma

Veteran Member
Hartford and Hertford

Hale and Hayle

I once heard someone with a broad accent ask for Stretford at the ticket office and the man in the ticket office heard it as Stratford, despite it being a Northern Rail managed ticket office.
This one used to be fun as the trains for these two departed Manchester at the same time from parallel platforms

With the plan being for 2tph between Stockport and Bolton from December 2017 I think it's possible that there might be some trains from Macclesfield going to Preston calling at both!

Status
Not open for further replies.