• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Split-level stations on the National Rail network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I was thinking two levels with the mainline and w&c
Yes, someone wrongly suggested earlier the main and East stations were split level, but they‘re definitely the same, but the OP ruled them out as being separate. Now you could possibly argue that the former international station was slightly higher cos it was built level, but it’s only a slight difference, about a metre at the buffers?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Yes, someone wrongly suggested earlier the main and East stations were split level, but they‘re definitely the same, but the OP ruled them out as being separate.
That was me. :oops:

Waterloo East always seems to be at a higher level as you first have to go up the stairs/escalator from the main concourse at Waterloo station when interchanging there.

Not 100% sure if there's actually any difference in elevation or if it's an illusion.

Hb06_

Around the same area, Sutton Coldfield used to have a high-level, and it might be restored in the next few years under West Midlands Rail Executive plans. Although I don't trust that'll happen just yet.

In terms of Ebbsfleet-style stations - Nuneaton has its mainline platforms on the Trent Valley Line (I wanna say 4?), and it's 2 CrossCountry platforms. If you were looking at seperate photos of these sections of the station, they'd look like completely seperate places.

Veteran Member
Historically Templecombe.
Moot point. Templecombe Lower station was a separate platform used only by one arrival a week!

Waterloo East always seems to be at a higher level as you first have to go up the stairs/escalator from the main concourse at Waterloo station when interchanging.
Only in the last 20-30 years.
Not 100% sure if there's any difference in elevation or if it's an illusion.
Given that there was a rail link between the two in the C19th, definitely an illusion.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Waterloo East always seems to be at a higher level as you first have to go up the stairs/escalator from the main concourse at Waterloo station when interchanging there.

Not 100% sure if there's actually any difference in elevation or if it's an illusion.
Waterloo East was previously called Waterloo and it's definitely at a higher level than the mainline station. So three levels with the W&C.
Up and down the height changes are effectively the same, before the rebuild in the 1920s there was a single track connection across the Waterloo Road bridge which is at concourse level, it’s well below the present footbridge.

A factor that contributes to the illusion is possibly that you go up an escalator from the main, but down to east it‘s a gradually descending ramp, followed by steeper ramps to the platforms.

Last edited:

DorkingMain

Minffordd in North Wales has the narrow-gauge Ffestiniog platforms above the standard gauge platform.

St Pancras International of course has low-level Thameslink platforms and high-level high speed platforms.

brewer85

how much does it have to be to qualify as split level? A foot or two? :lol:
If we're counting small differences in elevation, what about Gospel Oak - three steps up from the NLL platforms to the GOBLIN platform.

Snow1964

Established Member
Historically Kingston upon Thames, until the original platforms were replaced by a single bay at same level as through platforms in 1930s

birchesgreen

Established Member
Around the same area, Sutton Coldfield used to have a high-level, and it might be restored in the next few years under West Midlands Rail Executive plans. Although I don't trust that'll happen just yet.

Do you mean Sutton Coldfield Town? Thats a separate station, the main building (and line) still exist.

mrcheek

Established Member
Could Liskeard be shoe horned into this list (I suspect not)
you could probably have a whole thread discussing whether it is or not!

you have to use steps to get from one section to the other, without coming down again, so I would say yes.

Some might say no, because there is a line connecting the two sections. But that line cant be used by passengers, so it doesnt count!

Status
Not open for further replies.