• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Splitting big stations in to separately named bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomos y Tanc

Cardiff Central's relatively recently opened Platfform 8 was orginally the separate Cardiff Riverside station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
I assume for Manchester Piccadilly Throat you mean p13/14?
If so, then while we're at it why not rename Ardwick to Manchester Piccadilly South.

Platform 13/14 at Piccadilly still retain a bit of history amongst the staff. To this date working on those platforms is known as "working the Junction", which goes right back to when they were the part of London Road station belonging to the Manchester, South Junction and Altrincham Railway. Thus you will hear modern day 2020 railway staff referring to a railway company that opened in 1849 and ceased to be known as such 150 odd years ago.

Thus I reckon if you called them anything it would be Piccadilly Junction :lol:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
St Pancras International
St Pancras Southeastern
St Pancras East Midlands
St Pancras Thameslink

I think St Pancras Thameslink was originally due to be called St Pancras (Midland Road) but was just called St Pancras International to match the rest of the station.

London Trains

Clapham Junction West (P1-6)
Clapham Junction South (P7-17)

Would cause the bizarre situation of the Southern service down the WLL going from a different station to the Overground.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Woking platform 3 to 'Maybury', because that's basically where you've walked to reach it(!)

The Looe branch platform at Liskeard is pretty much it's own station - maybe 'Liskeard (Looe Valley)'.

London Bridge Falling and London Bridge Down? (Latter might get confusing for those familiar with technical railway terminology...)

londiscape

Clapham Junction West (P1-6)
Clapham Junction South (P7-17)

Would cause the bizarre situation of the Southern service down the WLL going from a different station to the Overground.
Clapham Junction (Posh Bits) - P3-6
Battersea Junction (Scuzzy Bits) - P1-2
Battersea Junction (Normal Bits) - P7-17

Yes I know I haven't accounted for LO going from P17, but what the hell :)

Accounts for the historical decision to name the station Clapham Junction even though it's fairly distant from Clapham, just because the posh folk might have a big old hissy at being associated with such a plebeian locale as Battersea :)

Last edited:

py_megapixel

Established Member
London Bridge Falling and London Bridge Down? (Latter might get confusing for those familiar with technical railway terminology...)
If my understanding of the conventions is correct then the latter would be through the buffer-stops ;)

Edit: No it wouldn't, for some reason I was confusing London Bridge with London Liverpool Street. London Bridge isn't a terminus.

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
Ealing Broadway for the mainline platforms. Ealing Narrowway for the Tube.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Glasgow Central (Platforms 9-17) - Glasgow Hope Street
Glasgow Central (Platforms 1 - 8) - Glasgow Union Street

norbitonflyer

Established Member
If my understanding of the conventions is correct then the latter would be through the buffer-stops ;)

Edit: No it wouldn't, for some reason I was confusing London Bridge with London Liverpool Street. London Bridge isn't a terminus.
Try running through any of platforms 10 to 15.

najaB

Veteran Member
Dundee Bridge (Platform 1), Dundee East (Platform 4) and Dundee West (Platforms 2 and 3).

InOban

Established Member
Apologies if I missed it, but surely Reading Brunel and Reading Waterloo?

Status
Not open for further replies.