• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Station abbreviations that are often used for the wrong station

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorksLad12

Established Member
These codes are not structured or consistent, but there's a reason probably lost in the mists of time to most.
Back in 1970, I started work at the Commercial Research Dept at General Manager, LMR, Euston and the project was to allocate ticket revenue to profit centre using NPAAS*, the predecessor of CAPRI.
Unlike CAPRI, which uses computer based logic, NPAAS used interviewers like me travelling on trains to record passengers' transits first-hand. Even with two of us, scooting down an Inter-City between each stop to record every passengers' details as they joined and alighted meant that the standard BR location code which was (I think) 5 digit numeric and not easily memorised wasn't suitable, so a 3 letter system, intended to be a memorable abbreviation, was invented.
No-one spent time allocating abbreviations to every station on BR, but as each route was surveyed we chose abbreviations for the stations involved; someone at the BRB kept records to avoid duplication, and where this happened, we obviously changed the code. They were all invented to fulfil what was seen as a short term requirement.
So, for instance, BHM was Birmingham New St. This was because, for our purposes, New St was the only station in central Birmingham; the others were all served by one service group (AKA profit centre) and were moribund at the time anyway (maybe Snow Hill had already closed?) . Similarly, we thought that NOR was a logical code for Northampton, but it had already been allocated by the ER to Normanton (wonder why the ER didn't use it for Norwich?).
This process only required codes for stations which had more than on service group and, quite reasonably, no thought was given to using a complicated structure - it was a form of 'first come, first served'.
Presumably, when a need was seen for abbreviations for every station on the network, these codes were adopted and the original codes were allowed to stand unaltered despite their flaws.
Looking through the codes, there are many cases other than New St where one station has monopolised a code that could apply to several - for instance, when LRD was allocated to London Rd., Guildford no thought was given to the existence of London Rd., Brighton. Other oddities were' for example, when the WR, presumably using the earlier spelling of Hanborough, included D in the abbreviation. There's also codes for curious locations such as Goldthorpe Police Station - presumably timing points on RRBs.
The surprise, to find that off-the-cuff abbreviations as part of a job in my youth are now an integral part of computerised timetable enquiries, is still great -who'd have thought?

*NPAAS - National Accounting & Audit System. I don't know what CAPRI stands for- after my time - I moved to freight.

Edit to remove wayward text at the very bottom
Genuinely fascinated by this as one of my (many) other interests is cataloguing and classification. Supplying taxonomy terms for the Local Government Category List (web stuff) was how I became a Chartered librarian. The three-letter codes and TOPS interest me as much as steam trains and Deltics interest some other readers... :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
The job was a dream for a railway enthusiast, a large amount of train travel, and getting paid for it.
Wonder if you once inspected mine. 1970s. Grey suit, with assistant; little speech on entering the coach "Ladies and gentlemen, please have your tickets available". Each one recorded into a Dictaphone.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Does of course occasionally cause confusion on these forums when posters are asking, for example, about fares and routeings, and are quoting the wrong three letter code(s).

Which is where the rule specifying station names should be written out in full comes in handy!

superjohn

When people are using an initialisation as shorthand for a station they are doing nothing wrong. In all likelihood they neither know nor care what the official three letter code is for the station.
Indeed. They also provide a huge amount of smug satisfaction for the pedants who will jump on it within minutes with “I didn’t know Cross Country served Barnes!” or something similar.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Indeed. They also provide a huge amount of smug satisfaction for the pedants who will jump on it within minutes with “I didn’t know Cross Country served Barnes!” or something similar.

As well as smug satisfaction for the folk who think that quoting three letter codes without stating the full name makes them some sort of super, all-knowing, enthusiast.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Wonder if you once inspected mine. 1970s. Grey suit, with assistant; little speech on entering the coach "Ladies and gentlemen, please have your tickets available". Each one recorded into a Dictaphone.

Sorry, not me. Dictaphone and an assistant? That would have been LUXURY...
No, just a clip-board, pen, and lots of foolscap sheets with the seating plans of different coach types.
Very brief introduction; inter-personal skills developed (?) by being, apparently, responsible for explaining and apologising for every BR shortcoming from price/taste/temperature of buffet car coffee upwards. Jack Dee is still my role model...

Recessio

I always accidentally put Lewisham [LEW] when trying to find times for Lewes [LWS].

mirodo

I've seen WNW used for Wigan Wallgate as well. Also WNC used for Warrington Central (actually WAC), BMR or even BUM for Burnley Manchester Rd (BYM)

BUM for Burnley Manchester Road is understandable when you consider that Burnley Barracks is BUB.

Ideally, all stations with the same location prefix would follow a similar pattern, so you’d have BUM, BUB, and BUC for Burnley Central (BUC actually being Buckenham).

Near me, you’ve got SCY and WCY for South Croydon and West Croydon. East Croydon could be ECY, as that’s unallocated; instead it’s ECR.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Digressing slightly, after the death of Bob Hope, Burbank Airport was renamed to "Bob Hope Airport". The Authority which operates it looked into changing its initials from "BUR" to "BOB", but quickly dropped the idea once they found out the cost - basically, it involved changing the whole international Air Traffic Control system worldwide, not to mention the booking system.

Of course there have been some examples on the rail network of station names changing but codes staying the same. I'll just stick to my neck of the woods and quote Bicester Village (BIT) which was called Bicester Town when it was allocated a code, and Wembley Stadium (WCX) which used to be called Wembley Complex. I'm sure there are several other examples.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Three character alphabetical letter codes should allow for 17,576 possible combinations, but in actuality a lot less if you want to have the code (to some extent) reflecting the station name.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Three character alphabetical letter codes should allow for 17,576 possible combinations, but in actuality a lot less if you want to have the code (to some extent) reflecting the station name.
Fewer than that. Looking at just national rail stations, X is used for things such as Leeds Bradford Airport (XLB), and the only three Zs had other codes previously. So its 16,227 (24*26*26)+3. Did I mention I'm a cat & class nerd?

However, I'm also quite childish so I had a quick look down the list for three-letter codes that we might want to avoid, or some interesting station combinations. Barnham - Ewell East - Ramsgate was one, if you ever saw the film Babe. You could post a letter at Gospel Oak. Spooks was filmed at Shepley. And the station at Saxilby is quite attractive... ;)

XAM2175

Established Member
Just to confuse the situation even further there is actually a "station" code for the airport as well (EDA) despite the fact there is no railway station there.
It's understandable considering that these are the Computer Reservation System codes, so they include a great many places off the railway that nevertheless can be reached by railway tickets. Glasgow Airport gets the (somewhat less obvious) GGT, while Dublin Ferryport holds DFP, Paris Nord is PBN, etc etc...
(apologies if you already knew this)

Digressing slightly, after the death of Bob Hope, Burbank Airport was renamed to "Bob Hope Airport". The Authority which operates it looked into changing its initials from "BUR" to "BOB", but quickly dropped the idea once they found out the cost - basically, it involved changing the whole international Air Traffic Control system worldwide, not to mention the booking system.
I fear this anecdote is somewhat apocryphal - for a start, the three-letter International Air Transport Association (IATA) location identifiers are only used in booking and revenue-handling systems so there wouldn't have been any need to change the "whole international Air Traffic Control system worldwide" as this uses four-character codes managed by the International Civil Aviation Organisation with no regard for airport branding. Certainly though it would have been an inconvenient change to make all the same, and ultimately it seems to have worked out well that they didn't do it since in 2017 they changed their name again to Hollywood Burbank Airport

Which is where the rule specifying station names should be written out in full comes in handy!
I can see a case for using them in longer posts or other such circumstances where the full name of the station has already been used... so long as they're correct!

Ideally, all stations with the same location prefix would follow a similar pattern, so you’d have BUM, BUB, and BUC for Burnley Central (BUC actually being Buckenham).
There is a school of thought suggesting that this is actually undesirable as it increases the chance of error in reading and transcribing them, as well as creating an erroneous impression that other codes that also follow the pattern are related. Continuing with BUx as an example, that could happen with Burneside (Cumbria) (BUD), Burnham-On-Crouch (BUU), and Burnside (Strathclyde) (BUI).

However this idea of grouping by location is deliberately applied in National Location Codes, which are six-digit codes introduced by BR accounting in 1968. As an example of these consider Eastleigh with NLC 589900 followed by Eastleigh Allbrook Junction (589901), Eastleigh East Junction (589903), Eastleigh East Yard (589904), Eastleigh Down Carriage Shed (589909), Eastleigh TRSMD (589970), and so on and so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.