• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Station Name Spellings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepgreen

Established Member
A trivia thread - different TOCs spelling station names differently. Example; Box Hill and Westhumble (near Dorking, Surrey). Southern run the station and spell it as "Box Hill and Westhumble", but they have recently erected some new signs showing "Boxhill and Westhumble" - so a variation even within one TOC! On top of this, SWT who also serve it, use "Boxhill and Westhumble" on their information.

Are there any other examples like this around?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
I'd imagine there has been inconsistency with apostrophes if that counts. Kings Cross and King's Cross being the most likely offender.

Jimini

Established Member
Newark Northgate / Newark North Gate is another one. Even the name boards on the platform contain both variations!

HWLad

Not really a difference in spelling as such but Seer Green & Jordans railway station is just frequently called Seer Green on National Rail Enquiries and CISs.

Gemz91

Cross Gates and Crossgates (Leeds), apparently at least to used show the different variation, with the station sign at road level showing one spelling, and the platforms the other. Not being from East Leeds not sure which is correct or if its still the case.

greaterwest

Established Member
I'd imagine there has been inconsistency with apostrophes if that counts. Kings Cross and King's Cross being the most likely offender.

Exeter St David(')s

Cobham & Stoke d'Abernon: the platform screens omit the apostrophe and use a space, and the "Departures" list shows it as "via Cobham & Stoke Da"

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Can't miss this one:
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch
and LlanfairPG.
Also variable hyphens, which can come and go.

JW16

St. John's Wood on London Underground has a variety of spellings on different signs within the station.

ag51ruk

While not inconsistent in rail terms, Peartree station is actually in the part of Derby called Pear Tree (the station was originally called Pear Tree and Normanton)

Parallel

Established Member
Can't miss this one:
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch
and LlanfairPG.
Also variable hyphens, which can come and go.

Arriva TW have it listed as Llanfairpwll on their departure boards too!

Bradford On Avon and Bradford-On-Avon is another.

Not strictly spelling, but I have also noticed that ATW request stops are not highlighted with a (x) after the station name on departure boards at ATW stations, however Dilton Marsh (GWR managed) is listed with the (x) at Newport and Cardiff.

greaterwest

Established Member
Arriva TW have it listed as Llanfairpwll on their departure boards too!

Bradford On Avon and Bradford-On-Avon is another.

Not strictly spelling, but I have also noticed that ATW request stops are not highlighted with a (x) after the station name on departure boards at ATW stations, however Dilton Marsh (GWR managed) is listed with the (x) at Newport and Cardiff.

It's Llanfairpwll on ATW and the Southern screens, likewise all the announcements are "Llanfairpwll" (with the exception of VT's displays / Anne's announcements, they are Llanfair PG)

The SWT/Southern systems ignore Dilton Marsh as request stops, although they do announce its short platform as "front coach only"

Blaenau Ffestiniog is "BLAENAU F" on the Llandudno Junction screens.

The SWT/Southern systems say "Southampton Airport (Parkway)" while the GWR/ATW ones show it as "Southampton Airport" I believe.

Rhoose (Cardiff International Airport) being another.

Berwick-upon-Tweed/Berwick upon Tweed (Berwick on Tweed if Celia announces it)

With CIS screens there's also the rumoured 18-character-limit on certain customer information systems (hence Bristol Temple Mds/Southampton Ctl/Worcester Fte St/Portsmouth & S on GW systems vs the full station name on the SWT/Southern ones in the scrolling calling pattern)

Parallel

Established Member
It's Llanfairpwll on ATW and the Southern screens, likewise all the announcements are "Llanfairpwll" (with the exception of VT's displays / Anne's announcements, they are Llanfair PG)

The SWT/Southern systems ignore Dilton Marsh as request stops, although they do announce its short platform as "front coach only"

The SWT/Southern systems say "Southampton Airport (Parkway)" while the GWR/ATW ones show it as "Southampton Airport" I believe.

With CIS screens there's also the rumoured 18-character-limit on certain customer information systems (hence Bristol Temple Mds/Southampton Ctl/Worcester Fte St/Portsmouth & S on GW systems vs the full station name on the SWT/Southern ones in the scrolling calling pattern)

I think Southampton Airport Parkway I think it is listed as "Southampton Airprt" at GWR stations.

The character limit makes sense. LM stations show Bristol Temple Meads as 'Bristol T Meads', ATW show it as 'Bristol Temple M' and obviously GWR show it as 'Bristol Temple Mds'.

I think my favourite, however is St Keyne Wishing Well Halt, which is displayed as 'St Keyne WW Ha(x)' at Liskeard. :lol:

greaterwest

Established Member
I think Southampton Airport Parkway I think it is listed as "Southampton Airprt" at GWR stations.

The character limit makes sense. LM stations show Bristol Temple Meads as 'Bristol T Meads', ATW show it as 'Bristol Temple M' and obviously GWR show it as 'Bristol Temple Mds'.

I think my favourite, however is St Keyne Wishing Well Halt, which is displayed as 'St Keyne WW Ha(x)' at Liskeard. :lol:

Indeed, SWT/Southern show BRI as "Bristol T Meads" on the destination, but if it were in the calling point, it shows the full station name, unlike ATW/LM/GWR

Here's what I mean (image from an old youtube video of FGW's old CIS, the same one SWT use)
attachment.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD1DGWNI8h8

I thought St Keyne WWH was just "St Keyne" on the displays.
Likewise Coombe Junction Halt, just Coombe / Coombe Junction

Ashchurch for Tewkesbury is one too, GWR just use Ashchurch, as do LM, but SWT/Southern use Ashchurch for Tewkesbury.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 23.22.23.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 23.22.23.png
    282.9 KB · Views: 52
Status
Not open for further replies.