• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia : Station names that contain the names of two (or more) other station names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hayes and Harlington station contains the names of two other completely separate stations i.e. Hayes (in Kent) and Harlington (in Bedfordshire). Are there any others?

Single station names that have namesakes e.g. the two Ashfords, do not count.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VT 390

Established Member
Would this count (I'm not sure as the same word is used twice)?:

London Charing Cross contains Charing Cross and Charing

VT 390

Established Member
Kirkby-in-Ashfield contains Kirkby and Ashfield

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Woolwich Dockyard will be divisible into Woolwich (Crossrail/Elizabeth Line) and Dockyard (Plymouth)

Saperstein

Ince & Elton?

Ince & Elton [INE] - Cheshire?

Elton & Orston [ELO] - Nottinghamshire?

Last edited:

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
University (some systems have it as "University (Birmingham)") and James Cook University Hospital (though I think most people just call it James Cook).

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Probably some not so good suggestions but I will have a go.

Ryde St John's Road (St John's near Lewisham and the other 2 stations in Ryde - Esplanade and Pier Head).

Also, Mill Hill Broadway (London) contains Mill Hill (Blackburn), with the plural being in Manchester. There is also Ealing Broadway too that is contained in Mill Hill Broadway.

Burton upon Trent also has Burton Joyce and Stoke-on-Trent. Unsure if there was ever a station at Trent Junction in the East Midlands?

Paisley St James has Paisley Gilmour Street and Paisley Canal, and both the St James's Park stations in Newcastle and Exeter.

This is a tough one especially when the easy options have already been mentioned.

Neo9320

Probably some not so good suggestions but I will have a go.

Ryde St John's Road (St John's near Lewisham and the other 2 stations in Ryde - Esplanade and Pier Head).

Also, Mill Hill Broadway (London) contains Mill Hill (Blackburn), with the plural being in Manchester. There is also Ealing Broadway too that is contained in Mill Hill Broadway.

Burton upon Trent also has Burton Joyce and Stoke-on-Trent. Unsure if there was ever a station at Trent Junction in the East Midlands?

Paisley St James has Paisley Gilmour Street and Paisley Canal, and both the St James's Park stations in Newcastle and Exeter.

This is a tough one especially when the easy options have already been mentioned.

Rather embarrassing that I forgot burton, my home station :/ lol

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Barnes Bridge (Barnes and Bridge of Allan - and there used to be a station called Bridge on the long closed Elham Valley Line named after the nearby village)

Kew Bridge (Kew and ditto above)

Wakefield Westgate (Wakefield and Westgate-on-Sea)

Last edited:

TheSel

GREEN Lane (Merseyrail, Wirral) and GREEN Road (Northern, Cumbria) - contain the words of the many stations called Something GREEN (e.g. Acocks Green, Turnham Green, Slade Green and many more) and Something ROAD (e.g. Beaulieu Road, Bootle Oriel Road) etc.

So therefore BOOTLE Oriel ROAD contains BOOTLE (Cumbria) [and, of course Bootle New Strand] as well as all the ROAD statons.

And if Glastonbury & Street station was still open, you'd have all the 'Street' stations to play with too.

imagination

King's Cross St Pancras underground station contains King's Cross and St Pancras. Strangely enough.

xotGD

Established Member
This thread is getting silly. I still maintain that Manchester Oxford Road was the bestest answer :D

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
If this one counts, how about Barry Town in Wales?

It contains the names for Barry Island, Barry Docks, (and in the other Celtic country Scotland) Barry Links.

Also, it contains Dunfermline Town, Lymington Town, and Town Green.

causton

Established Member
This thread is getting silly. I still maintain that Manchester Oxford Road was the bestest answer :D

Indeed I think some of the suggestions are closer to what the OP was asking for than others... what next, Hatfield contains an e, so does Leighton Buzzard? :lol:

There have been some very interesting full names posted though! I don't think every station with the word Road or Street in is what was being asked though...

IanD

Established Member

Indeed I think some of the suggestions are closer to what the OP was asking for than others... what next, Hatfield contains an e, so does Leighton Buzzard? :lol:

There have been some very interesting full names posted though! I don't think every station with the word Road or Street in is what was being asked though...

Quite. The concept of the challenge is hardly difficult to comprehend yet only about 3 valid posts have been made!

It contains the names for Barry Island, Barry Docks, (and in the other Celtic country Scotland) Barry Links.

No it doesn't, it contains one word from each.

imagination

Street got mentioned earlier, but that was never just Street, so didn't really count even when it was open.

However, there was a station called "Park" until 1995. Which would open up Brondesbury Park (although they're the same Brondesbury), Orrell Park (relatively close to Orrell but two different places) and Preston Park (hundreds of miles from either of the stations in its name).

---

Would Leytonstone count? As Leyton and Stone are both stations. Accepting that might lead to a situation where "Ashurst New Forest" counts three times for having Ash, Ashurst and Ore in, or Ashford International having Ash, Ashford and Ford... Or all the "Park"/"Parkway" stations having "Par"... I'm not sure going down that route is really desirable.

Last edited:

Gwenllian2001

Barry railway station is named 'Barry' and not 'Barry Town’. There was, of course a fourth; Barry Pier but that closed in the early Seventies.

Jamiescott1

Coulsdon town.
Coulsdon south and colchester town.

Colchester town.
Colchester and coulsdon town

TheSel

Moreton-in-Marsh

Moreton (Merseyside) and Moreton (Dorset).

Marsh as in Dilton Marsh

-in- as in Barrow-in-Furness, Burley-in-Wharfedale, Hampton-in-Arden, Sherburn-in-Elmet and more

These even include the hyphens!

Or how about Aberdovey? Aber and Dovey Junction.

Status
Not open for further replies.