• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Station names that phonetically spell that of famous people

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
Any open or disused station on a heavy rail, metro, heritage or light rail line within the UK are allowed, as well as former names of stations that have since been renamed. The purpose of this thread is to combine station names so that they form a name which sounds like that of a famous person. For example:

Witney Euston (Whitney Houston)
Lewes Hamilton (Lewis Hamilton)

Can you think of any others?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is there a 'Hamilton' station?

Hamilton Central or Hamilton West, isn't it?

birchesgreen

Established Member
Chester Rhodes is apparently a character in a TV show (Prison Break - not seen it to be honest)

Aspley Guise, Bow Brickhill, Kempston Hardwick, Fenny Stratford and Stewartby are characters in a 1930s whodunnit novel, or if not they should be.

Gloster

Established Member
Aspley Guise, Bow Brickhill, Kempston Hardwick, Fenny Stratford and Stewartby are characters in a 1930s whodunnit novel, or if not they should be.

Nearer than you might think. In one of Georgette Heyer’s detective novels, Duplicate Death from 1951 (I think), most of the major characters have surnames the same as place names, mostly in the North-East. I can remember a Beulah Birtley and a Colonel Cartmel.

Herefordian

Marton Par.
Martin Parr, a photographer who was the cameraman for It's Nice Up North.

It was also his birthday yesterday. :)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Angus Deighton, former HIGNFY host and next door neighbour to Victor Meldrew.
Rod Hull (and Emu).
Tina Weymouth, bass player with the Talking Heads and Tom Tom Club.

Edit- I clearly missed part of the OP's rules. Apologies! :oops:

One that I think sort-of fits if I've got the gist this time: the famous weather forecaster St Michaels Fishguard Harbour.

Blackrod Stewartby

Last edited:

Springs Branch

Established Member
There's an American TV series called Revenge, where one of the main protagonists is Ashley Davenport (incidentally from Croydon, according to the narrative, rather than leafy Cheshire)

Agatha Christie's fictional sleuth Miss Jane Marple was a confirmed spinster and never married.
Her lesser-known younger sister Rose, on the other hand, married a Captain Hill, formerly an officer in the British Indian Army - subsequently changing her name to Rose Hill-Marple.

Question: Have we had a thread in the past where a single station is used to form a plausible name? I'm thinking Bruce Grove; Colin Dale; Ed Monton-Green etc. Given the eclectic range of 'Trivia' threads on here, we must have.

Last edited:

Magdalia

Established Member
Question: Have we had a thread in the past where a single station is used to form a plausible name? I'm thinking Bruce Grove; Colin Dale; Ed Monton-Green etc. Given the eclectic range of 'Trivia' threads on here, we must have.
Gordon Hill played for Manchester United including their 1977 FA Cup winning team.
Indeed, why use two stations when you only need one.

I don't know if Gordon had a brother Lawrence.

I think that Big Les Wade and Sandy Huntingdon should have been a pair of 4th division central defenders from the 1970s.

adc82140

Established Member
Any open or disused station on a heavy rail, metro, heritage or light rail line within the UK are allowed, as well as former names of stations that have since been renamed. The purpose of this thread is to combine station names so that they form a name which sounds like that of a famous person. For example:

Witney Euston (Whitney Houston)
Lewes Hamilton (Lewis Hamilton)

Can you think of any others?
Does anyone have a rail ticket marked "valid for one journey from Lewes to Hamilton"?

Purple Train

Established Member
I do that with Milton Keynes squares. There are surprisingly many plausible names, though I think my favourite is Stan Tonbury-Campus.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Rose Hill - the actress best known for playing Madame Fanny La Fan in 'Allo 'Allo

Status
Not open for further replies.