• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Station with most TOCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My commute ends in Glasgow Central (high level), on occasions I see VT, XC TPE and of course Scotrail all at the same time on the platforms. I have seen a Northern 158 once but this is a rarity, it's from Newcastle and pretty much always Scotrail but once in a blue moon it's Northern.

So Glasgow Central has 5 TOCs thst use it, which station has the most?

Also, Glasgow Central has 4 different TOCs on it's platforms at least one time each day, which station has the most that are scheduled to be there at the same time?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kentish Paul

There are a few with 4 TOC. Kings Cross for one. EC, FCC, GC and Hull.

I seem to remember my last stop at Ely there were 4. FCC, XC, EMT and whoever is now running East Anglia.

Just off the top of my head so will investigate more.

whhistle

On Moderation
We had this thread only a month of so ago.

I believe it was Doncaster or Crewe, I don't really remember now.

Last edited by a moderator:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's Doncaster and Crewe both I believe have seven and as pointed out above this has come up recently and many times before.

tbtc

Veteran Member
My commute ends in Glasgow Central (high level), on occasions I see VT, XC TPE and of course Scotrail all at the same time on the platforms. I have seen a Northern 158 once but this is a rarity, it's from Newcastle and pretty much always Scotrail but once in a blue moon it's Northern

As far as I knew 158s couldn't run on the GSW, so its 156s that do the shared Newcastle - Glasgow Central route. Could be wrong though...

Pumbaa

Established Member
As far as I knew 158s couldn't run on the GSW, so its 156s that do the shared Newcastle - Glasgow Central route. Could be wrong though...

Could be one of the NT 158s which transferred to SR.

dvboy

Established Member
Of those with 4: Wolverhampton, Birmingham New Street and Birmingham International are all served by VT, XC, AW and LM.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This crops up often, most recently last month in this thread: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=62373 (the definitive answer can be found in this post by 34D)

Doncaster: east coast, First Trans Pennine, First Hull Trains, DB Grand Central, DB Cross Country, Northern Rail, Stagecoach East Midlands Trains.

Crewe: Virgin, DB Cross Country, DB Arriva Trains Wales, London Midland, First ScotRail, Stagecoach East Midlands, Northern Rail.

Michael.Y

Established Member
Unsurprising it's Crewe really, as it is (in my eyes) the spiritual home of the railway in the UK.

34D

Established Member
Could be one of the NT 158s which transferred to SR.

Or even potentially going back a decade to when northern spirit (and I think Arriva trains northern) ran a trans pennine class 158 once a day Leeds-Carlisle-Glasgow - was the only 158 booked through Skipton etc at that time. I don't recall which way north of Carlisle it went though - anyone?

tbtc

Veteran Member
Or even potentially going back a decade to when northern spirit (and I think Arriva trains northern) ran a trans pennine class 158 once a day Leeds-Carlisle-Glasgow - was the only 158 booked through Skipton etc at that time. I don't recall which way north of Carlisle it went though - anyone?

Via Carstairs.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
My commute ends in Glasgow Central (high level), on occasions I see VT, XC TPE and of course Scotrail all at the same time on the platforms. I have seen a Northern 158 once but this is a rarity, it's from Newcastle and pretty much always Scotrail but once in a blue moon it's Northern.

So Glasgow Central has 5 TOCs thst use it, which station has the most?

Also, Glasgow Central has 4 different TOCs on it's platforms at least one time each day, which station has the most that are scheduled to be there at the same time?

Glasgow Central actually has a 6th TOC - EC still operate one train each way to King's Cross.

Liam

Established Member
I remember a thread a few months ago where I think it was worked out that the services from Glasgow to Newcastle are Scotrail, though operated by Northern crew from Carlisle and the Newcastle to Glasgow services are Northern, though operated by Scotrail crews North of Carlisle. Almost always a Scotrail unit, although sometimes a Northern unit appears on Dumfries-Carlisle services.

Status
Not open for further replies.