• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations/Areas where the slow is FASTER than the fast lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Of course there are many places now where they are the same speed such as Wandsworth Common, Battersea Park, Queenstown Road etc. But they are in london.

Luckily I surprisingly am adament I know an area of the southern network where I believe the Slow lines have a higher speed limit than the fast. That is: Earlswood. (99 percent sure that is correct but if i am wrong tell me please) earlswood is 90 on the slow and 80 on the fast, likely due to the sharper curve on the fast.

I am sure there are other places on the mainlines where the fast has a lower speed than the slow, but I guess there will only be a few.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DY444

Of course there are many places now where they are the same speed such as Wandsworth Common, Battersea Park, Queenstown Road etc. But they are in london.

Luckily I surprisingly am adament I know an area of the southern network where I believe the Slow lines have a higher speed limit than the fast. That is: Earlswood. (99 percent sure that is correct but if i am wrong tell me please) earlswood is 90 on the slow and 80 on the fast, likely due to the sharper curve on the fast.

I am sure there are other places on the mainlines where the fast has a lower speed than the slow, but I guess there will only be a few.

You're wrong about Earlswood. The 80mph limit on the fasts starts to the north of the station and the slow lines have a 75mph limit which starts to the south of the station.

You're wrong about Earlswood. The 80mph limit on the fasts starts to the north of the station and the slow lines have a 75mph limit which starts to the south of the station.

Aw man, sorry :P I swear it Showed 90 on TS2016, but ometimes i suppose that can be wrong also. Apologies.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Not quite the OPs original question, but there are instances where stopping trains used the Fast Lines and fast trains use the Slow Lines - Bromley South is one example, and Clapham Jn-Barnes (Down direction) spring to mind.

rower40

Not quite the OPs original question, but there are instances where stopping trains used the Fast Lines and fast trains use the Slow Lines - Bromley South is one example, and Clapham Jn-Barnes (Down direction) spring to mind.
Again, not quite the original question, but...
On those occasions when Paddington is shut, and trains terminate and reverse at Ealing Broadway, then the HSTs use the Relief lines, and the local services use the Main lines. Cue lots of switching from one line to another at the Southall crossovers.
This is because the Relief line platforms at Ealing Broadway are much better suited to handling an entire HST of passengers all trying to get to the Underground at once.

Trog

Established Member
The Dn Northampton Fast through Northampton Castle Station is 20MPH, the Up and Dn Slow at the same place is 30MPH.

DY444

Aw man, sorry :P I swear it Showed 90 on TS2016, but ometimes i suppose that can be wrong also. Apologies.

That tells you all you need to know about the accuracy of many of the routes on TS2016, indeed the whole track layout at Earlswood is wrong as both sets of Fast/Slow crossovers are missing.

Veteran Member
Not quite the OPs original question, but there are instances where stopping trains used the Fast Lines and fast trains use the Slow Lines - Bromley South is one example

Which happened because in 1959 someone decided that Boat Trains were faster than Kent Coast trains (they didn't stop at Bromley South!) - previously Up Boats had used the Up Local! Particularly odd at Swanley, but I guess it was an arbitrary decision - and until the Shortlands Diveunder was built half the stoppers used the Slows anyway.

I always get confused about the Clapham-barnes actually. I originally thought the middle platforms were slow, but I believe now it's

>fast>
>slow>
<fast<
<slow<

Am I correct?

Crossover

Established Member
I believe I have read on here before that this situation exists at Edge Hill, where the fasts have a lower limit than the slows

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I believe I have read on here before that this situation exists at Edge Hill, where the fasts have a lower limit than the slows

The Up Slow out of Lime St (Chat Moss line) is 40mph, while all the rest are 30mph.
It means a Pacer on the Slow can overtake a Pendolino on the Fast!
Maybe about to change (and be faster on all lines) with the upcoming remodelling through the area.

NR has recently eliminated the situation at Reading where the straight/original Reliefs (75mph) were faster than the curved/later Mains (50mph).

However there is a new anomaly on the WCML at Colwich where the Down Fast turns out into the Down Crewe at 65mph.
The adjacent Down Slow (was the original Down Fast until TV4) still runs directly into the Down Crewe at 90mph.

Last edited:

DY444

The situation exists through Platforms 8 - 11 at Clapham Junction. UMF is 40, DMF is 50, UMS and DMS are both 60

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I always get confused about the Clapham-barnes actually. I originally thought the middle platforms were slow, but I believe now it's

>fast>
>slow>
<fast<
<slow<

Am I correct?

The Clapham Junction to Barnes section's operational usage is not the same as the line names.

The down pair is used the opposite way round to the line descriptions, the sectional appendix shows it in the conventional way with fasts in the middle DS, DF, UF, US.

Swapping round the services that use the down fast and down slow lines simply keeps slower trains via the loop out of the way of fast trains via Richmond. It isn't necessary to do this in the other direction.

Last edited:

DY444

The Up Slow out of Lime St (Chat Moss line) is 40mph, while all the rest are 30mph.
It means a Pacer on the Slow can overtake a Pendolino on the Fast!
Maybe about to change (and be faster on all lines) with the upcoming remodelling through the area.

NR has recently eliminated the situation at Reading where the straight/original Reliefs (75mph) were faster than the curved/later Mains (50mph).

However there is a new anomaly on the WCML at Colwich where the Down Fast turns out into the Down Crewe at 65mph.
The adjacent Down Slow (was the original Down Fast until TV4) still runs directly into the Down Crewe at 90mph.

Although the limit on the mains at Reading was higher back in the day - can't remember exactly what now but 80 rings a bell on the up through possibly 75 on the DM. The 50mph limit appeared about 25 or so years ago.

Last edited:

driver_m

Established Member
Very short stretch at Edgeley on downs where fast is 40 but slow is 60. Primrose Hill tunnel nr Euston, 55 fast, 75 slow.

paul1609

Established Member

When I used to commute (1986 to 90) to London the Up Slow at least was 90 until north of Earlswood station, there then followed a long period where the crossover from the fast lines had a 40 mph TSR. When the TSR was rectified the down slows through the station were reduced to 75!

There is a good example between Horbury Junction and Wakefield Kirkgate. From Horbury, the Down Slow is 60 until just before Kirkgate (just after the line passes under the Doncaster Lines) into Wakefield Westgate, although there is a short section where the line speed is 40 (for no obvious reason). The Down Fast was until recently believed to be (by all TOCs) 60 from Horbury until just beyond the Doncaster Lines. However, it seems that Network Rail have become (re)aware that in fact the 60 line speed does not take effect until some considerable distance after Horbury Junction, and have (re)imposed the correct 20mph limit on this section of line (again this has no obvious reason to be so low - until earlier this year trains would accelerate as soon as they joined the Down Fast).

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The Clapham Junction to Barnes section's operational usage is not the same as the line names.

The down pair is used the opposite way round to the line descriptions, the sectional appendix shows it in the conventional way with fasts in the middle DS, DF, UF, US.

Swapping round the services that use the down fast and down slow lines simply keeps slower trains via the loop out of the way of fast trains via Richmond. It isn't necessary to do this in the other direction.

Yes, it's so so that sropping trains towards Brentford/Hounslow can "turn right" at Barnes without needing to re-cross the path of faster services via Richmond.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Liverpool Street to Stratford - the slow services are timed for 7 mins, the fast 8-10. I think the speed limits are the same though.

Crossover

Established Member
Liverpool Street to Stratford - the slow services are timed for 7 mins, the fast 8-10. I think the speed limits are the same though.

I wouldn't take timings as the key to this - it is quite possible that the fast service has more recovery time in the schedule

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Tangential but I believe the up Bicester is faster than the up main at Aynho Junction. Willing to stand corrected on that one.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Something I have just thought of here.

With the unusual layout of the tracks of the Metropolitan Railway between Baker Street and Wembley Park, do the outer pair (fast lines) have a higher, lower, or the same linespeed as the centre pair (slow lines/Stanmore Branch)?

Status
Not open for further replies.