• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations close to each other that you can’t travel to/from easily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jack Hay

Hazel Grove and Chinley.

I'm not sure that Hazel Grove and Chinley have ever had a regular direct service between them, but they are certainly adjacent stations connected by passenger standard railway. If we are to be generous and allow them, then in the same neck of the woods and also connected by passenger standard railway for much longer, I offer Chinley and... Navigation Road!

Malcolmffc

Galashiels to Carlisle. Formerly direct via the Waverley line, now you’d have to go Edinburgh and Glasgow

Skipness

Surprised nobody has mentioned Whitby and Scarborough. The second most asked question in the Whitby booking office concerns the possibility of travel between these two popular seaside resorts. A journey these days means travel via Middlesbrough and York, taking around half a day if the connections fall right. Takes an hour by bus, or around 30 mins if driving.
Maybe later I will reveal the most asked question at Whitby!

route101

Established Member
No direct link although there would have been if the plan to reroute East Kilbride had been followed through. There is a thread on one of the local history websites that investigated the past use of the siding alongside Williamwood golf club and concluded that it was never actually connected to the EK line.

Interesting , never knew that it never connected thabks.

Ince and Wigan North Western? About a mile apart and from the looks only a couple of trains a day

BigCj34

Clitheroe to Hellifield. No idea if there are plans to extend Clitheroe services to there?

Jack Hay

Ince and Wigan North Western? About a mile apart and from the looks only a couple of trains a day

That's because Ince is generally served by trains to/from Wigan Wallgate. However, Wallgate has no bay platform facing east, so at times of day when the service has Wigan terminators - usually at the start or end of the day and occasionally in the peaks - those trains runs to/from the bays at North Western instead. This is a fairly recent idea. So for many years, yes, there were no trains at all between Ince and North Western. Now, however, there are several each day.

Jack Hay

Clitheroe to Hellifield. No idea if there are plans to extend Clitheroe services to there?
This journey is possible on summer weekends on the DalesRail services, which are timetabled workings then.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Only the 0614 from Totton also calls at Redbridge
Yes, that certainly meets the definition of “not easily“. Odd that there are a few more fairly usable down journeys available, even if there’s only 3 of them...

BigCj34

This journey is possible on summer weekends on the DalesRail services, which are timetabled workings then.

It's infrequent enough to be compliant, unless the intention is that there should be no present service at all.

I would also add Oxenholme/ Penrith to Darlington, which would have been possible on the closed line via Bernard Castle.

MedwayValiant

New Beckenham to Beckenham Junction.

There are a handful of trains a day which go round the single track curve but without calling at the stations, and there was briefly a regular stopping service (sometime in the 90s, I think it ran Cannon Street to Bromley South). But otherwise you'd have to change either at Lewisham and Petts Wood, or between Catford and Catford Bridge. It's about a 15 minute walk.

Veteran Member
New Beckenham to Beckenham Junction.

...briefly a regular stopping service (sometime in the 90s, I think it ran Cannon Street to Bromley South). But otherwise you'd have to change either at Lewisham and Petts Wood, or between Catford and Catford Bridge. It's about a 15 minute walk.
Not Bromley South, as back then you didnt have the turnback in P2.
There have been a whole variety of trains over the years, mostly terminating in the Down Bay at the Junction, and back in the early days of electrification there was a regular stopping service. And the line was the original route to Beckenham back in 1858 or so....

skh93

Lostock and Westhoughton, previously had platforms on the Wigan line aswell as the Preston line.

Ianigsy

Kirkstall Forge and Guiseley. All trains between Leeds and Ilkley pass through Kirkstall Forge at speed, but the station calls are all made by Leeds-Bradford FS or Skipton services.

Lloyds siding

Burscough Bridge and Burscough Junction. I did get National Rail to come up with a reasonable £6.20 fare for the 2 hour journey between these two stations, which are about half a mile apart.
Also a time consuming journey these days is Greenbank to Acton Bridge (still connected by a freight only line).

Bovverboy

Established Member
Lostock and Westhoughton, previously had platforms on the Wigan line aswell as the Preston line.

Yes. Lostock (or Lostock Junction, as I think it was called at the time), had, prior to its mid-1960s closure, platforms on both lines. Therefore there was at the time a direct route between the two stations, whereas now there isn't. It took me a few moments to work out what you meant.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Narbeth and clynerwen 10 mins max by car I think but for train there's a 40 minute wait to change trains

plugwash

Established Member
I'm not sure that Hazel Grove and Chinley have ever had a regular direct service between them,
As far as I can tell there is one train a day in each direction. Interestingly the two directions are run by different companies, the one from Hazel Grove to chinley (leaving at 0604) is run by Northern, while the one from Chinley to Hazel grove (leaving at 0803) is run by East Midlands railway.

Status
Not open for further replies.