• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations named after buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Maybe Bicester Village? Or is the shopping centre actually several buildings?

Then we get to Braintree Freeport. Although now the shopping centre is Braintree Village but the station has not been renamed.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Exeter St Davids (named after the St David's Church nearby?)
Exeter St Davids is technically in Red Cow Village. The area known as St Davids is further up the hill around the church. I believe Red Cow was the name origionally proposed for the station but the GWR directors disliked it settling for St Davids to which the entire area eventually became known. The last vestiges known as Red Cow Village were demolished about 8 years ago for student flats (Welcome to historic Exeter,what the Luftwaffe didn't destroy the council will!).

A0wen

On Moderation
Upton Park (LU)
St Paul's (LU)
Oval (LU)
Custom House (DLR)
Centrale (Tramlink)
Kensington Olympia?
Wembley Stadium
Elephant and Castle

I thought Olympia as well, because it was renamed to that presumably due to its proximity to Olympia - previously the station was Addison Road.

A0wen

On Moderation
Where did Northampton Castle get the name?

Because it's on part of the site of what was Northampton Castle - though it was only given that suffix to differentiate it from the other, existing Northampton station which had opened before - Bridge Street (1845) with Castle opening in 1859.

The suffix stopped being used in the late 60s after the other stations had closed.

Last edited:

Glenn1969

Established Member
Coventry Arena
Stadium of Light (Metro)
St James's (Metro)?
Manchester Airport
Gatwick Airport
Covent Garden (LU)
Bradford Interchange

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Coventry Arena
Stadium of Light (Metro)
St James's (Metro)?
Manchester Airport
Gatwick Airport
Covent Garden (LU)
Bradford Interchange
Bradford Interchange isn't named after a building of that name, it IS the building of that name.

The airports listed are also a bit tenuous, there's a lot more to an airport than the terminal building (hangars, taxiways, runways...).

London Trains

The airports listed are also a bit tenuous, there's a lot more to an airport than the terminal building (hangars, taxiways, runways...).

True, but I assume Heathrow Terminal 4 and Heathrow Terminal 5 could be included since the terminal is a specific building in the airport.

(Heathrow Terminals 2 and 3 is obviously more than one building).

hst43102

Going a bit tenuous with this one, but would Bath Spa be applicable? Town named after a building, and the station specifically being named after the Spa to differentiate it from Bath Green Park station.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Going back to aviation, would the following count:

Rhoose Cardiff International Airport
Southampton Airport Parkway
Luton Airport Parkway
Teesside Airport

MikeT

Stewartby, on the Bedford to Bletchley line, was in 1935 named after Sir Halley Stewart, director of Forders brickworks and then the London Brick Company. As they were making a half a million bricks every year the station must be linked to thousands of buildings!

daodao

Established Member
Knott Mill and Deansgate, renamed to Deansgate in May 1971 at the time of the conversion of the MSJ&A line from 1.5kV DC to 25kV AC electrification.

Hampton Court station is named after the nearby palace.

Last edited:

Ken H

On Moderation
Bat and Ball, too. Way more than I thought! I wonder if there are any that are named after buildings but you wouldn't know unless you know, if that makes sense... for example if St. Pancras was actually named after a church (which for all I know it might be).
There is a St Pancaras church on the Marylebone Rd, but its nearer Euston.

The station may have been built in its parish.
Wiki says that part of London was knows as St Pancras, and there was a borough of St Pancras.

So the station is named after a borough, not a building.

Ken H

On Moderation
Northern line unfinished station called bull and bush or north End
Bull and bush is a pub.
OK. pushing it a bit as unfinished.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Hampton Court -- I don't think we've had that one yet.

Malden Manor was a manor house, and Worcester Park was also the name of a large house as well as that of actual parkland.

I believe that Cockfosters was the name of a farm.

urbophile

Established Member
Port Sunlight
Is not a building. It's a housing estate; an experimental and architecturally distinguished one, but not 'a' building, any more than the towns and districts that give their names to the majority of stations are.

Status
Not open for further replies.