• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Stations named after people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spandau

Many airports worldwide are named after a celebrated individual – Charles de Gaulle, John F Kennedy, Leonardo da Vinci, Indira Gandhi, Ben Gurion, and perhaps in the lower league George Best or John Lennon.

But what about stations? Obviously, Dublin has Pearse and Connolly. Then there are the saints: Pancras, Budeaux, Bees, Denys and many more.

Acocks Green and Freshfield are certainly named after people, the latter after Thomas Fresh who had a siding for Liverpool’s manure. And we have Spooner Row, Theobalds Grove and Virginia Water. James Cook University Hospital also gives its name to the adjacent station.

In Scotland what about Maxwell Park, Jordanstown, Johnston or Neilston? I am less certain about Keith!

What other stations derive their name from a living person?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hey 3

London Victoria, but that was named after the street(which in turn was named after the queen).
Manchester Victoria as well(but I do not think that was named after the queen)

Stevenage is also another contender, Peterbrough on the same line (the ECML), Heaton Chapel, Davenport (on the same line), Manchester Deansgate(just called Deansgate, and the tram stop at Deansgate-Castlefield

Last edited:

Hey 3

No as King would not be a name of a person

Ashton-under-Lyne (tram stop and train station) Ash is of course a name

Veteran Member
In my primary school days, I read that Beckenham was Becca's Ham (farm?), so there's another 3 for you. I suspect there are many similar.

Brooke

Fifteen in total in Ireland, named after the 16 leaders of the Easter rising who were executed (two brothers with same surname).

Edited to include list in full, in case of interest: Dublin (Patrick and William Pearse, James Connolly, Sean Heuston), Cork (Thomas Kent), Tralee (Roger Casement), Limerick (Con Colbert), Dun Laoghaire (Michel Mallin), Waterford (Joseph Plunkett), Galway (Eamonn Ceannt), Dundalk (Thomas Clarke), Drogheda (John MacBride), Sligo (Sean MacDiarmada), Bray (Edward Daly), Wexford (Michael O'Hanrahan), Kilkenny (Thomas MacDonagh).

Last edited:

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Conversely, Gainsborough Lea Road and Gainsborough Central are not named after the artist. I never remember where the so-called "Gainsborough Line" is, but it's not even in the same county as the town of that name.

D6130

Established Member
Many airports worldwide are named after a celebrated individual – Charles de Gaulle, John F Kennedy, Leonardo da Vinci, Indira Gandhi, Ben Gurion, and perhaps in the lower league George Best or John Lennon.

But what about stations? Obviously, Dublin has Pearse and Connolly. Then there are the saints: Pancras, Budeaux, Bees, Denys and many more.

Acocks Green and Freshfield are certainly named after people, the latter after Thomas Fresh who had a siding for Liverpool’s manure. And we have Spooner Row, Theobalds Grove and Virginia Water. James Cook University Hospital also gives its name to the adjacent station.

In Scotland what about Maxwell Park, Jordanstown, Johnston or Neilston? I am less certain about Keith!

What other stations derive their name from a living person?
Err.....I think Jordanstown is in Northern Ireland. The one in Scotland is Jordanhill!

Other possible candidates: Helensburgh, Dunfermline Queen Margaret, Parson Street, Ladbroke Grove, Latimer Road.

D6130

Established Member
Tylorstown on the Porth to Mardy line. Named after the owner of the first colliery in the area.
While in the South Wales valleys, how about Treherbert, Treharris and Trelewis.....and - on the Corris railway in mid-Wales - Pont Evans.

Finally - for now - the generic hale and hearty Welshman: Taffs Well! (Sorry, I couldn't resist!) :D

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Every "Llan..." village and station in Wales is named after a saint.

Nottingham and Sheffield Victoria, and probably Swansea , were named after the Queen.

StephenHunter

Established Member
Madrid's second station is now called Madrid-Chamartín-Clara Campoamor after an interwar Spanish politician.

The station in Wilmington, Delaware, is named after the now President of the United States.

Can you define what you mean by "living person". I take that to mean someone who is alive today?
People who actually lived.

D1537

Milton Keynes is named after *two* people! (well, sort of).

Steddenm

All in Ireland:

Kent Station Cork (Thomas Kent)

MacDonagh Station, Kilkenny (Thomas MacDonagh)

Colbert Station, Limerick (Con Colbert)

MacBride Station, Drogheda (John MacBride)

Clarke Station Dundalk (Thomas Clarke)

Pearse Station, Dublin (Padraig & William Pearse)

Connolly Station, Dublin (James Connolly)

Heuston Station, Dublin (Seán Heuston)

Casement Station, Tralee (Roger Casement)

Ceannt Station, Galway (Éamonn Ceannt)

Plunkett Station, Waterford (Joseph Mary Plunkett)

O’Hanrahan Station, Wexford (Michael O’Hanrahan)

Mallin Station, Dun Laoghaire (Michael Mallin)

Daly Station, Bray (Edward Daly)

MacDiarmada Station, Sligo (Seán MacDiarmada)

Status
Not open for further replies.