• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Stations not accessible by road

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
Some stations are in unusual places where you can't pull up next to or even nearby in a car.

I'll go first.
Commondale - Next to sheep grazing land.
Elephant & Castle - Entrance within a shopping centre.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duffield

Established Member
Dovey Junction is a classic example.
Berney Arms is another.
Both a long way from a public road.

Edit: Smallbrook Junction on the Isle of Wight is another classic case. No access for vehicles or even pedestrians!

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
Corrour, famously.
I think there was a previous discussion whether the access to Altnabreac, or am I thinking of Forsinard, is on a public road, or on an estate road which the public may use.

Train Maniac

Manulla Junction in Ireland on the Westport Line- only used to interchange with branch trains to Ballina

sharpley

Elephant & Castle - Entrance within a shopping centre.
Theres an exit from that station onto the street around the back of the shopping centre, unless its been built on recently with all the redevelopment work going on round there.
EDIT : road is called Elephant Road and is still there according to Google Maps

Last edited:

vlad

Middlewood, which has a self-explanatory name.

There are a number on private railways. Dduallt, Totnes Riverside, Snowdon Summit, Dilhorne Park, etc.

bearhugger

James Cook (JCH) on the Middlesbrough to Whitby line. At the back of the hospital it is named after. A footpath to the hospital and main road or the footpath the other way over the line into the housing estate.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Middlewood, which has a self-explanatory name.

There are a number on private railways. Dduallt, Totnes Riverside, Snowdon Summit, Dilhorne Park, etc.
Another one is Cuckoo's Nest Halt on the Kirklees Light Railway. Accessible via a footpath up an embankment from a farm track.

Ryde Pier doesnt have a road serving it only the pier which has a roadway on it but doesnt really count as a road because its on the pier but then there is Smallbrook Junction station.

Lewlew

Theres an exit from that station onto the street around the back of the shopping centre, unless its been built on recently with all the redevelopment work going on round there.
EDIT : road is called Elephant Road and is still there according to Google Maps
Yep, still there. Will probably get some more use when they start knocking down the shopping centre.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Corrour, famously.
I think there was a previous discussion whether the access to Altnabreac, or am I thinking of Forsinard, is on a public road, or on an estate road which the public may use.

It's Altnabreac which is like Corrour and only accessible by a private 'road'.

Forsinard is accessible as it has the RSPB centre in the old station building

frodshamfella

Established Member
I had no problem when I walked there from Elton.

Maybe they were having a day off.

I read a rail blog once and the travellers we asked questions at the station, having said that, the station doesnt belong to Shell so I dont think they could stop.you

Class800

Established Member
Depends on definitions - Elephant and Castle is attached to a shopping centre but also has a road entrance, as well as rail replacement bus access - using nearby bus stops. Metrocentre and Meadowhall are similar - but are accessible by road in that a bus can serve the station

Gathursty

Established Member
I didn't know Elephant & Castle had a back entrance. Thanks for that info.

Longcross is another one depending on if your vehicle can fit through the metal barrier to discourage travellers caravans.

Status
Not open for further replies.