• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations on our railway network which are closed but the platforms still exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanG

IBM and British Steel Redcar still exist almost entirely intact but have been closed.

Rotherham Masborough still has platforms and there is also a closed station just north of Sheffield, although I am not sure of the name.

There are also a lot of couple on the Settle and Carlisle

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
IBM and British Steel Redcar still exist almost entirely intact but have been closed.

Rotherham Masborough still has platforms and there is also a closed station just north of Sheffield, although I am not sure of the name.

both IBM and Redcar British Steel are legally Open not closed, so do not count.

SteveyBee131

Post №4 of this thread has the answer (there are actually 2) ;)

Parallel

Established Member
Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but Filton Junction still has three platform faces (one on the Cardiff bound line and an island platform). I believe that station closed to make way for Filton Abbey Wood in the 90s.

DB

Several on the York - Harrrogate line - part of one platform at Marston Moor remains, with the signal box on it (active - it serves as a gate box). Also at least one platform remaining at Hessay (former waiting room used by gatekeeper). Think at least one platform also remains at Goldsborough. Not sure about Hopperton. Station buildings survive at all of the active and closed stations along that section of line.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Two more from me that I havent seen in the last 7 pages: Thame (London-side of Haddenham and Thame Pway station) and Greenford (platforms on the ANL)
That is the original Haddenham, Thame had its own station on the branch to Oxford. Thame still has a platform face left I think as does Bledlow.
North Filton still has platforms I believe on the Henbury branch.

Crossover

Established Member
Island platform at Taunton was closed I believe some years ago, but just looked at Open Train times and it appears to have trains stopping at it. How astonishing.

But on a video I have shows it out of use in 1993.
My 2009 copy of TrackAtlas of Mainland Britain published by TrackMaps shows all platforms in use.

Definitely open - caught a train from the island a few (4 or 5 now probably) years ago

SeanG

Unfortunately I do not have the time to read through the sheer number of posts. Apologies for my contribution

lxfe_mxtterz

Unfortunately I do not have the time to read through the sheer number of posts. Apologies for my contribution
Not a criticism, but a good way to check whatever you are posting hasn't already been posted is to search "this thread" with key words relating to your post. If it yields no results, there's a high chance it hasn't been posted. It's what I usually do. :)

The original Edge hill station platforms are still in place after 189 years...
The bay platforms are still in place at the new Edge hill station too, that is little younger at 183 years old.

Ditton station still has its platforms, Liverpool St James station platforms are still in place too. Last time I saw them the platforms for Otterspool station were still in place too, I cant imagine NR has released any money to remove them.
The original platform 4 at Hunts cross station in Liverpool is also still there.
Hooton station still has all of its original platforms in place too

DavidGrain

Established Member
Has anyone mentioned Rock Ferry. I have not been there for a few years but the last time I was there the signals were still working on the disused line although there were tree growing in the four foot.

D6975

Established Member
Anyone mentioned Dunragit yet? I haven't been there for a long time, but when I last passed through there was a little bit of the Glasgow bound platform still in situ.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Has anyone mentioned Rock Ferry. I have not been there for a few years but the last time I was there the signals were still working on the disused line although there were tree growing in the four foot.

But the station is still there and open

Holywell is one that springs to mind

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
What stations on our network are closed but the platforms still exist? I can think of the old Thameslink station at Kings Cross St Pancras and Bishopstone Beach Halt between Newhaven Harbour and Bishopstone on the Seaford branch for some examples. Note i am only talking about closed stations on railway lines that are still open and have trains running. Can anyone think of any others?
I thought Newhaven Marine still had platforms there, although the station has been de facto closed for some time.

Acc3lerat1on

Not sure if this has been said but Mangotsfield station on the old Bristol - Bath route is very much intact. Is now an often place for a break on the popular cycle path that took the railways path.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Are we talking about originally double tracked sections of line which have now been singled? Must be a few out-of-use weed-infested platforms on the opposite side to the remaining running line.

Status
Not open for further replies.