• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Stations on private land

Status
Not open for further replies.

SargeNpton

Established Member
In the last couple of years three stations have either closed, or been mothballed, that are located on private land: Newhaven Marine, IBM Halt and Redcar British Steel. That got me to thinking about how many other stations could have their services withdrawn if the landowner closed off access.

The list I've come up with is: Dunrobin Castle, Gatwick Airport, Heathrow Terminals 2 & 3, Heathrow Terminal 4, Heathrow Terminal 5, Lympstone Commando, Manchester Airport, Prestwick International Airport, Southend Airport, Stanlow & Thornton, Stansted Airport, Stranraer, Teesside Airport.

Are there any that I've missed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianigsy

I think it came up a while ago that Cressington (& Grassendale for the purists) is in the middle of a private estate with no public road access.

InOban

Established Member
I'm fairly certain that Prestwick airport station no longer belongs to the airport, although since that belongs to government anyway it makes no difference.

d9009alycidon

I'm fairly certain that Prestwick airport station no longer belongs to the airport, although since that belongs to government anyway it makes no difference.
It is certainly not built within the Airport perimeter and there is access from the main road. It actually makes for good interchange with the local buses as the bus stops for several services are just outside the station.

steamybrian

Established Member
I thought Lympstone Commando was on Network Rail land as there is a public footpath between the station and the camp.
Gatwick Airport station platforms/ticket office are on NR land with the connecting footbridge crossing the A23 before entering the airport terminal. Where the physical legal boundary is something solicitors can investigate.!
I would query stations such as Dunrobin Castle Stanlow and Teeside Airport actually being sited on NR property and within their boundary although with the latter maybe the access road is private.?
I was aware that Dover Western Docks station at its closure in 1994 was not on BR/Railtrack land but was owned by Sealink or British Ports or whatever name it was then after BR sold its Shipping Division.

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Aren't all stations technically on "private land"? I suppose it depends on what you mean mean by "private land" and is the definition different in Scotland?

If its a question of the landowner not being Network Rail isn't London St Pancras International on land owned by "London and Continental Railways"?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Trying to determine who owns what plot of land isn't always the easiest in England/Wales, especially if it hasn't changed hands any time recently and doesn't necessarily show on the Land Registry's records.

One example relates to the former Woodhead station which closed over 50 years ago. There's an access road leading down from the A628 to the station site, and the local residents would love to know who owns the road / is responsible for its upkeep, as it's full of potholes!

Taunton

Established Member
Canary Wharf (Jubilee Line, DLR and Crossrail separate stations). No road access without going through their own security. You can't get into the DLR station without going through the shopping centre.

chessie

Wasn't Sinfin North wholly located within the Rolls Royce site with no public access

Edit, but of course this closed years ago and just noticed the op is looking at current examples

Parallel

Established Member
Eggesford used to be on private land, but I’m not sure it still is. Reportedly Earl of Portsmouth said if the railway was to be built on his land, then a station should also be provided.

RSimons

Trying to determine who owns what plot of land isn't always the easiest in England/Wales, especially if it hasn't changed hands any time recently and doesn't necessarily show on the Land Registry's records.

One example relates to the former Woodhead station which closed over 50 years ago. There's an access road leading down from the A628 to the station site, and the local residents would love to know who owns the road / is responsible for its upkeep, as it's full of potholes!
Many years ago a friend who worked on the roads in rural Wales said if they had difficulty in finding who actually owned a piece of land they would bring in a digger and start to work. Within minutes someone would turn up to claim it as their property!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
government owned property can (and often is) "private land" for legal designations under both Scottish and English & Welsh law.

philthetube

Established Member
Moor park has been used on at least one occasion since then when a stop request was put in by LUL during serious disruption, the right to depart was given by the station supervisor.

Public footpaths, rights of ways can be over private land, don't know in this case though.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Public footpaths, rights of ways can be over private land, don't know in this case though.
There is a difference between a public right of way which is enshrined and very difficult to block off or revoke access and a permitted footpath/bridleway/offroad cycle route (the latter exists at Lympstone Commando) which exists as an agreement of the landowner and can be blocked/access restricted at the whims of the landowner.

I think Holyhead Station is owned by Stena Line, who own and operate the adjacent port.
Ownership-wise, is it Stena or Fishguard & Rosslare Railways & Harbours Company (which I think is now 50% Stena and 50% Iarnród Éireann)? I know that operationally the FRRHC is effectively meaningless, and Fishguard and Rosslare are run by Stena and IÉ respectively.

matt_world2004

Established Member
There is a difference between a public right of way which is enshrined and very difficult to block off or revoke access and a permitted footpath/bridleway/offroad cycle route (the latter exists at Lympstone Commando) which exists as an agreement of the landowner and can be blocked/access restricted at the whims of the landowner.
The map of the Moor Park estate shows it encompassing the entirety of the station boundary. There are also Provisions in the Moor Park estate "rules" allowing access for the purposes of accessing the station

map-2020.jpg

Customers of the businesses on lower Main Avenue, the Moor Park Underground station, or visitors to the schools do not require emblems to visit these locations.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The map of the Moor Park estate shows it encompassing the entirety of the station boundary. There are also Provisions in the Moor Park estate "rules" allowing access for the purposes of accessing the station

map-2020.jpg

That is completely and utterly irrelevant. The Public right of way is clearly signed on the ground and quite clearly stated on both the textual definitive statement and guidance maps on the Hertfordshire County council website.

matt_world2004

Established Member
That is completely and utterly irrelevant. The Public right of way is clearly signed on the ground and quite clearly stated on both the textual definitive statement and guidance maps on the Hertfordshire County council website.
Public rights of way can be on private land. the public right of way you have quoted traverses the sandy lodge golf course, which certainly is private land. Many public rights of way which transverse station property are also on private land too. So the fact that there is a right of way is completely and utterly irrelevant to weather the station is on private land or not.

richard1976

Manchester United Football Ground? services there have been suspended since 2018 at the clubs request on safety grounds

Status
Not open for further replies.