• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations only served by intercity trains (no local services)

Status
Not open for further replies.

transmanche

Established Member
Chester le Street receives 1 intercity train all day - an XC train at tea time.
I'd forgotten about that one: it's to provide an additional commuter service (17:32 from Newcastle) as the TPE service (now 17:17 from Newcastle) was often crush-loaded,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Do any Turbos still operate between Oxford and Worcester? If not I'd say that route

At the moment I believe the one that leaves from Great Malvern arriving at Oxford around 12:30 and Paddington around 13:30 is a Turbo for the next few months. Then from the December 2019 timetable I believe every service to and from London and the North Cotswolds will be IET - 5 coaches the worst case scenario which sometimes I think you can get away with.

OverSpeed

I know it's not defined as a Intercity route in the traditional sense but Surely Water Orton is in for a shout? - Owned by West Midland trains but only has a cross country service stop their (the leicester to birmingham service).

Which leads me to =

I think places like South Wigston and that around leicestershire are only called at by Crosscountry rather than EMR but i may be outdated on my info

No you are correct, as far as i know Hinckley, Narborough and south wigston stations were all owned by EMT* with only having Cross Country services stopping at them.

* I guess these stations are now owned by the new main MML franchise winners EMR.

Doomotron

With the exception of peak times, Martin Mill, Walmer, Deal and Sandwich are only operated by Southeastern HS1 services. Stratford International also is only served by them.

Ken H

On Moderation
Is TPE inter city? It wasnt Inter-City sector before privatisation. It was Provincial.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
How about Tiverton Parkway?

As far as I am aware, the Great Western London - Exeter/Plymouth/Penzance trains call there, as do the Intercity Cross-country trains.

Also, I am unsure if the former Regional Railways Wales & West/Wessex Trains ever called there.

imagination

How about Tiverton Parkway?

As far as I am aware, the Great Western London - Exeter/Plymouth/Penzance trains call there, as do the Intercity Cross-country trains.

Also, I am unsure if the former Regional Railways Wales & West/Wessex Trains ever called there.

Also served by the Cardiff-Exeter trains which are only intercity in the literal sense that they run between multiple cities

Ken H

On Moderation
Also served by the Cardiff-Exeter trains which are only intercity in the literal sense that they run between multiple cities
well that makes the manchester - liverpool stoppers via Warrington Central 'inter city' then

A bit off topic but always wonder why GWR services west of Cardiff call at Bridgend,Neath etc when there are local trains.
Perhaps because they both have populations c.50,000? That's more than anywhere west of Exeter apart from Plymouth and twice that of Didcot.

randyrippley

Established Member
Once upon a time...............Waterloo-Exeter was branded as Inter-City
or at least the coaches and timetables were in the 1970s and 80s
Do the current services still count?

tbtc

Veteran Member
Does Newcastle to Manchester/Liverpool not count as intercity to you?

It wasn't "InterCity" under BR (yet Victoria - Gatwick was, and we are still having arguments about "InterCity" as if it were a black/white thing...)

I guess we either take the definition as "would it have been branded as InterCity in BR days" (in which case most TPE isn't InterCity, but Manchester - WCML - Scotland was part of Cross Country so did count as InterCity, despite being operated by 90mph 158s back in the day...) or maybe find some other definitive thing... "all services operated by 125mph+ stock" would be a good definition (Berwick on Tweed wins, yay)... or maybe "all services run from at least one city to at leat one other city (in which case all of the local stations on the Metro between Newcastle and Sunderland count).

Otherwise we get into arguments about where to draw the line between a three coach 100mph DMU with "mid" doors (if a 185 operated service is InterCity then is does that mean that the 170s on the Fife Circle are InterCity?).

Something we'll never agree on, I guess.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Berwick is I believe the only station on the ECML that is served not just only by intercity stock, but only by 125mph capable stock. There can’t be many other stations around the country that are only served only by the fastest domestic trains.

Stratford International & Ebbsfleet International are the two stations only served by the fastest domestic trains ;)

Scotty

Could you could SEHS for this, as if so Ebbsfleet International; and surely XC is Intercity (as is Liverpool to Norwich, some of which run via this route), so you can could Melton Mowbray, Oakham and Stamford?

There is an early morning EMR Nottingham to Norwich which calls at these stations.

cambsy

On Moderation
I think loosely speaking the definition of intercity, is Long Distance, 100mph and above, frequent service, First class, the routes to Me are:

London-Plymouth-Penzance,
London-Bristol-Swansea,
Euston-Birmingham-Manchester-Liverpool-Chester and Holyhead-North West and Glasgow,
London-Leicester-Nottingham-Sheffield,
London-Leeds-Hull-North East and Edinburgh,
London-Ipswich-Norwich
Penzance-Plymouth-North West and North East and Bournemouth-Southampton-Reading-North West and North East,

Trans Pennine Express, London Commuter routes including Weymouth and Exeter via Salisbury, anything non virgin or Caledonian Sleeper on WCML, anything on Cross Country operated by 170’s are to me not Intercity, I know there is blurring of the definition of what’s is or isn’t Intercity, I go by the traditional BR Intercity branded routes up to privatisation, which were mk2-mk4, First class and buffet at minimum, some with Pullman dining, generally speaking were faster and had a better level of on board service compared to Regional trains.

MontyP

I know it's not defined as a Intercity route in the traditional sense but Surely Water Orton is in for a shout? - Owned by West Midland trains but only has a cross country service stop their (the leicester to birmingham service).

Which leads me to =

No you are correct, as far as i know Hinckley, Narborough and south wigston stations were all owned by EMT* with only having Cross Country services stopping at them.

* I guess these stations are now owned by the new main MML franchise winners EMR.

I wouldn’t classify Leicester-Birmingham as inter-city even though it is operated by Cross-Country

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Yes, I wouldn't describe the Turbostar operated parts of the CrossCountry franchise as "true" intercity.

But there's no single definition that everyone will agree on, that's for sure.

Darandio

Established Member
If people do decide that TPE is indeed classed as an Intercity service for the purposes of the thread, then add Yarm to the list.

dk1

Veteran Member
Not quite, Diss is served by one all stations local train that runs from Norwich to Ipswich, a total distance of just over 46 miles, calling at Diss and Stowmarket. Just because it is currently LHCS with old MKIIIs, that doesn't make it Inter-City, (and Ipswich is only a town anyway). When the LHCS stock is replaced with EMUs, that service might just be a regular outer suburban unit.
Saturday nights the 23:05 Norwich-Ipswich is booked for a 170.

xotGD

Established Member
So am I right in thinking that none of the places only served by Inter-City trains are actually cities?

PTR 444

Established Member
Regardless of whether they were branded Intercity or not back in the BR days, surely any main line service which is at least x miles long and only stops at major towns/cities should be considered an intercity service. Even some which are strictly commuter services such as the SWML to Weymouth have more of an intercity feel to them due to their speed and limited stops.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Regardless of whether they were branded Intercity or not back in the BR days, surely any main line service which is at least x miles long and only stops at major towns/cities should be considered an intercity service. Even some which are strictly commuter services such as the SWML to Weymouth have more of an intercity feel to them due to their speed and limited stops.
I agree, and with that I would also add Falkirk High which only sees Edinburgh to Glasgow express services.

Status
Not open for further replies.