• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations that are at least two or more changes away from London

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Rochdale count ?, Two changes via Manchester, Two changes via Burnley. I know there is only one change via Leeds but I doubt that route would be allowed.

No Rochdale doesn’t count. As you’ve said 1 change via Leeds plus 1 change is possible at Warrington/
Chester, brighouse/midfield/halifax/Bradford and via the few services that go direct to Wigan north western.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
This came up recently in an issue of Branch Line News, for stations which always require more than 1 change to reach London

1: Ryde Esplanade 2: Ryde St Johns Road 3: Smallbrook Junction 4: Brading 5: Sandown 6: Lake 7: Shanklin 8: Kirkdale 9: Walton 10: Orrell Park 11: Aintree
12: Old Roan 13: Maghull 14: Maghull North 15: Town Green 16: Aughton Park 17: Rice Lane 18: Fazakerley 19: Kirkby 20: Rainford 21: Upholland 22: Orrell
23: Pemberton 24: Darwen 25: Entwistle 26: Bromley Cross 27: Hall I' Th' Wood 28: Barton-on-Humber 29: Barrow Haven 30: New Holland 31: Goxhill 32: Thornton Abbey 33: Ulceby
34: Stallingborough 35: Healing 36: Great Coates 37: Grimsby Docks 38: New Clee 39: Barlaston 40: Wedgwood 41: Kelvindale 42: Summerston 43: Gilshochill 44: Ashfield

The last train (Monday - Saturdays) from Cardiff Bay continues to Cardiff Central where you can change to a GWR to London

Springs Branch

Established Member
Most stations on the Atherton line (including Ince) are ruled out by having at least a couple of trains per day running to either Wigan NW or Manchester Piccadilly - except for Hag Fold.

From Hag Fold you always need to change twice, either at Salford Crescent/Piccadilly, or Man Vic/Picc or Wigan Wallgate/NW in the current timetable.

Three small shacks between Wigan & Southport - Hoscar, Bescar Lane and New Lane - fall into the same category as the Wigan-Kirkby line, since current timetable has no trains stopping at these which go direct to Manchester Piccadilly: so it's change at Salford Crescent/Piccadilly, Man Vic/Picc, or you could go the slow way via Southport/LSP.

In reality, for all four examples above, you could easily change at Wigan, which can be similar or shorter walk train-to-train than at some large interchanges like Liverpool South Parkway or Manchester Picc (P.13 to main station) - but we're not allowing out-of-station transfers for purposes of this thread.

With the four stations above, the "at least 2 changes" situation is a result of quirks of the stopping patterns in the current timetable rather than any inherent railway geography. So a 1-change facility might be restored at any of these by some future stroke of a timetable planner's pen (or more likely a click of her mouse).

As @DanTrainMan185 commented, this topic comes up regularly every year or so, and usually Denton & Reddish South are on the list. These stations aren't applicable at the moment, but if the southbound service to Stockport disappears in a future timetable iteration, they'll be back.

Last edited:

si404

Established Member
This came up recently in an issue of Branch Line News, for stations which always require more than 1 change to reach London
Island Line, Ormskirk and Kirkby branches of Merseyrail, Bolton-Blackburn, Barton line are all fine. The Maryhill line seems to be due to boarding restrictions on the Sleeper at Queen's Street.

Hoscar, Bescar Lane, New Lane and Hag Fold don't seem to have trains to Yorkshire - which is another way to get disqualified - so probably ought to be on the list.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Island Line, Ormskirk and Kirkby branches of Merseyrail, Bolton-Blackburn, Barton line are all fine. The Maryhill line seems to be due to boarding restrictions on the Sleeper at Queen's Street.

Hoscar, Bescar Lane, New Lane and Hag Fold don't seem to have trains to Yorkshire - which is another way to get disqualified - so probably ought to be on the list.

Hag Fold is served by the 2041 Wigan North Western to Manchester Victoria & 0621 Leeds to Southport service, so can be reached with one change. Although from a glance you can't reach London with only one change.

Hoscar/Bescar Lane/New Lane has a couple services from Alderley Edge, but again nothing from those stations

scrapy

Established Member
You can reach London from Clifton with the one change by using the 18:01 service to Wigan North Western ;)
You can reach London from Clifton with the one change by using the 18:01 service to Wigan North Western ;)
Was going to add 'from December' but posted by mistake. That train will be through to Southport then.

nw1

Established Member
doesn't the Highland Sleeper stop at Queen's Street low level now? I believe all Scotland is within one change thanks to the sleeper.

The Wigan-Kirkby intermediate stations, the Bolton-Blackburn intermediate stations and those up to Clitheroe are all, I believe, two changes unless there's some once a day workings that rule them out.

I've noticed a lot of examples here use non-mainline-rail (walk, bus, tram, metro etc) transfer between two stations in the same town, e.g. Manchester or Wigan.

What would be interesting though is if there are any examples where you have to change at two separate railway stations, i.e London-Station A, Station A-Station B, and Station B-Station C, where the A-B leg is a rail journey and not just between two termini in the same town. Struggling to think of any examples here, though Whitby would have counted were there not through services.

You'd probably have to have 'branches off branches' for this to the the case, and most of those were lost during Beeching...
Maybe there's an example where there's a branch off a 'Regional Railways Alphaline' type line which has no through services to London?

si404

Established Member
Barton line can't be done with a walk (or at least a shortish one across Manchester, Glasgow or Wigan). You have to travel Doncaster/Newark to NE Lincs.

Staffordian

I would be surprised if it runs once a year! Every time I have planned to use it it has been cancelled... (although it seems it ran last Sunday.) We had a thread about it, I think.

I think it has actually run every Sunday since May - although before then it had been cancelled on a regular basis for many months.

snookertam

Wouldn't Glasgow Queen Street - Central be considered as one change?

JLUK144

doesn't the Highland Sleeper stop at Queen's Street low level now? I believe all Scotland is within one change thanks to the sleeper.
It does but only to set down when it’s London bound and to pick up when it’s Fort William bound.

Therefore, the following are all 2 changes away either by changing at Queen Street and then again at Stirling or Falkirk Grahamston or Edinburgh or you could go to Anniesland where you can either get a train to Central and get the Sleeper or a train to Euston or a train to Dalmuir to connect with the London bound Fort William portion of the Sleeper.

• Ashfield
  • Possilpark and Parkhouse
  • Gilshochill
  • Summerston
  • Maryhill
  • Kelvindale

Status
Not open for further replies.