• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations that are the only station to only be served by a class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
As an aside, we seem to be tackling the question from the wrong end viz think of a station and then see if it is unique in being served by one (and only one) class of train. Surely it's easier to think of a class and then think of whether any of the stations served by it are only served by it - and then count the number of stations that meet that criterion, and if the answer is one, you have an answer to this question.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Sundridge Park is on the same branch as Bromley North, so BN is not the only station exclusively served by 466s.

mmh

Established Member
So are we just looking at one station branch lines?

Not necessarily. You could theoretically have a station which is only sêrved by, say 150s which was the only station only served by 150s.

Perhaps the answer is Stourbridge Town, though.

xotGD

Established Member
Heathrow Terminal 4 and Heathrow Terminal 5 until last weekend?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
One station. Bromley North is only served by 466s (is it?). No unit type can only serve one station. The question is are there no other stations only served by 466s.

If Bromly North is, Sundridge Park will be also !

Kingspanner

Yes but, instead of thinking about the problem station-by-station, why not make a list of all the classes and cross classes off the list as soon as you identify two or more stations where they are the only class.
Clearly the posts above give you the ammunition to cross off the 158.

Someone make a master list then we can have at it!

DorkingMain

Pre-COVID, Pilning was the only station to be served solely by 2+4 HSTs. One booked working a day and it was one of those.

alistairlees

Established Member
As an aside, we seem to be tackling the question from the wrong end viz think of a station and then see if it is unique in being served by one (and only one) class of train. Surely it's easier to think of a class and then think of whether any of the stations served by it are only served by it - and then count the number of stations that meet that criterion, and if the answer is one, you have an answer to this question.
Correct. It’s amazing that so many people don't read the question

route101

Established Member
So is Falkirk High. Sorry.

What about Linlithgow or Polmont? Any 380s still working along there?

Falkirk High sees Class 156 on Summer Sundays to and from Oban. I that service has operated once this year.

East Kilbride only sees 156s , i reckon its had 20 years of class 156s now. I heard a rumour that a 158 made it onto the line.

snookertam

Yes but so does the rest of the East Kilbride branch, Barrhead, Kilmarnock etc, so no unique stations in all that. Yes a class 158 made it as far as Clarkston in service before the conductor realised (it was in the middle of a six car) and ran as far as Busby to change ends.

Actually good point about the summer Oban 156s at Falkirk High etc, think they also call Polmont and Linlithgow? However, I think Robroyston, Stepps, Gartcosh are also class 385 only.

route101

Established Member
Yes but so does the rest of the East Kilbride branch, Barrhead, Kilmarnock etc, so no unique stations in all that. Yes a class 158 made it as far as Clarkston in service before the conductor realised (it was in the middle of a six car) and ran as far as Busby to change ends.

Actually good point about the summer Oban 156s at Falkirk High etc, think they also call Polmont and Linlithgow? However, I think Robroyston, Stepps, Gartcosh are also class 385 only.

I thought that was not true about the 158. I did wonder when 158s were on Shotts services, one would appear on the East Kilbride, as they interworked on some services.

Veteran Member
One station. Bromley North is only served by 466s (is it?). No unit type can only serve one station. The question is are there no other stations only served by 466s.

Seems the OP's question would be a great one for a psychometric test as so many seem to have failed to understand it! :)
Sundridge Park is the other station on the branch, and AIUI (from another thread) only 466s work the branch...
Sorry, yorksrob got there earlier - must read whole thread first :(

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
The 17:57 Leeds to Doncaster used to be operated by a 170. I can’t comment on the status quo.

It always used to be that the very first and very last service each day was a 144 but these havent run since Covid timetables came in, so at the moment I'm pretty certain its only 331s along there. What has happened from today I don't know.

Just to potentially blow 153s at Cardiff Bay out of the water, 2F83/2F84 on the Barton branch, in the normal run of things are not booked to call at one of the stations due to 185 traction that they're supposed to be formed of not being cleared for to call at that station. I forget which station it is.

DanNCL

Established Member
Yarm is only served by 185s, and I believe Yarm is now the only station to only be served by 185s, with all the other stations they serve either being served additionally by different stock from other operators (in a few cases the other operator only provides a limited service, for example stations between Huddersfield and Stalybridge) or (in the case of Malton) other TPE stock.

I think Corby would also qualify as the only station to be served only by 222s?

Halish Railway

Established Member
Yarm is only served by 185s, and I believe Yarm is now the only station to only be served by 185s, with all the other stations they serve either being served additionally by different stock from other operators (in a few cases the other operator only provides a limited service, for example stations between Huddersfield and Stalybridge) or (in the case of Malton) other TPE stock.

I think Corby would also qualify as the only station to be served only by 222s?
I think that the occasional HST goes to Corby - The 2+6 ex-GC sets.

mmh

Established Member

That's interesting. Off-topic for this thread, but I think we need a "trains where they shouldn't be / aren't cleared" thread. Back shortly to put a link to one once I've created it! :)

Edit: thread for that here https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...ouldnt-have-been-werent-route-cleared.209140/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.