• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA - Stations that aren't accessible to people with reduced mobility

Status
Not open for further replies.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
I'm looking for stations where there's no DDA access whatsoever from the entrance to the platforms.

That means no lift, level crossing, barrow crossing, ramp, anything where DDA access is available.

It must be on the mainline network.

An example of one station with no DDA access is Bordesley, which has stairs from the entrance to the platform but no lift for DDA access.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Sugar Loaf
Denton
Reddish South
Ardwick
Netherfield
Stanlow & Thornton
Ince
Falls of Cruachan
Quite a lot of the London Underground

All I could think of off hand

TheSel

There will be a great number of these, but for starters, on the Merseyrail network, Merseyrail themselves produce this [hyperlinked] helpful link.

From within the linked document, each station "dot" is itself a hyperlink that gives details of the accessibility (or otherwise) of the location. So, for example, Hillside, Bank Hall, Rice Lane, Kirkby and several others all only have stepped access. Note that it's not as simple as "counting those lettered 'C'", as some of these (e.g. Walton & Meols) have step-free access to one platform, but not the other, which is not quite what the OP is driving at.

Having said that, works are planned / imminent / in progress at some of these locations to install lifts or other DDA-compliant access - e.g. Meols, where the West Kirby bound platform will shortly benefit from a lift (half the car park is presently closed to facilitate the storing of materials).

There are hundreds of them.

Here are just a few that i can think of:

• Bishopstone
• Dorking Deepdene
• Dumpton Park
• Eridge
• Preston Park
• Snowdown

This list could go on and on.

Our railways are really not that accessible unfortunately. Especially compared to many other countries. We have a lot to improve on.

brompton rail

Thorne North down side - only accessible via footbridge ( steps, no ramp) or longer flight of steps down to main road. Up side has level access from car park. Barrow crossing went some time ago, especially as Thorne North only has part time booking clerk now. Wheelchair (& others with mobility difficulties) have to travel to Google and return. I’m amazed that SYPTE have not installed a graded ramp from the down platform to the road, though it probably requires land purchase. The station is on an embankment and adjoins a bridge over a highway. PS. Down side is Doncaster to Hull, whilst Up is travelling south! Thorne South - about a mile away on Scunthorpe line has level access on Down side, and ramped footbridge to Up side

Last edited:

Ken H

On Moderation
Thorne North down side - only accessible via footbridge ( steps, no ramp) or longer flight of steps down to main road. Up side has level access from car park. Barrow crossing went some time ago, especially as Thorne North only has part time booking clerk now. Wheelchair (& others with mobility difficulties) have to travel to Google and return. I’m amazed that SYPTE have not installed a graded ramp from the down platform to the road, though it probably requires land purchase. The station is on an embankment and adjoins a bridge over a highway. PS. Down side is Doncaster to Hull, whilst Up is travelling south! Thorne South - about a mile away on Scunthorpe line has level access on Down side, and ramped footbridge to Up side
I like the idea of travelling to google and return!

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Over on the West Anglia "Inners", the vast majority of the stations are inaccessible:

Theobalds Grove
Turkey Street
Southbury
Silver Street
White Hart Lane (though that's being rectified with the rebuild)
Bruce Grove
Seven Sisters
Stamford Hill
Stoke Newington
Rectory Road
Hackney Downs
Cambridge Heath
London Fields
Bethnal Green
Clapton
St. James Street (Walthamstow)
Wood Street
Angel Road

alangla

Bellgrove-6 TPH stopping, zero accessibility. Bridgeton, Argyle Street & Anderston the same AFAIK. High Street is worse - 8TPH.

Veteran Member
Bickley, Shortlands, Kent House, West Dulwich, Brixton.... loads in S London.

SteveyBee131

Last time I went to Thorne North, the train guard walked a wheelchair user across the barrow crossing, however that was about 5 years ago now!

Parallel

Established Member
Avoncliff, Thornford, Chetnole from the Heart of Wessex Line.

In Wales, I can think of Sugar Loaf, possibly Dovey Junction, Penhelig, Llanaber, Heath High Level(?). There are probably loads more.

Andrew1395

Bushey, all six platforms (two on London Overground DC lines, four on WCML) only accessible up flights of stairs. Mind you it only had 1.5 million visits - 500,000 more than Hampton Court Royal Palace. More people visit Bushey station than many top visitor attractions. I wonder if It is the busiest without any adaptions to improve accessibility?

Highlandspring

Established Member
Garelochhead
Arrochar & Tarbet
Ardlui
Crianlarich
Upper Tyndrum
Bridge of Orchy
Rannoch
Corrour

Esker-pades

Established Member
I can't find an online version, but Transport for Wales had a map at Hopton Heath (and probably loads of other stations) which shows which stations on their network are accessible.

Attachments

• IMG_20190215_133128_1.jpg
    IMG_20190215_133128_1.jpg
    823.7 KB · Views: 21

I'm fairly certain that there are no steps at Corrour -- access to the platform is via a level crossing over the loop (which is no longer used as a running line). You'd need an all-terrain wheelchair to get very far from the station, though.

I seem to remember once seeing a station poster at Rannoch which said (correctly but not very helpfully) that Corrour was the nearest station with step-free access. It didn't have any suggestions for how a mobility-impaired passenger could get there, though. (Maybe by Argocat?)

Status
Not open for further replies.