• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Stations that don’t get different trains from the next one down the line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chorley Cake

Particularly major or stopping stations. Obvious one being Waterloo East and Charing Cross. Looking for more subtle ones. For example do all Newport’s passenger trains also appear at Cardiff Central ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
For example do all Newport’s passenger trains also appear at Cardiff Central ?
In the current timetable, I believe so.

I don't think there are any current examples of westbound trains terminating at Newport, nor eastbound trains commencing there, nor trains reversing there (except during diversions)

I imagine this list would be quite long. For example, there are many stations whose trains all go to/through Reading. Perhaps a shorter one would be stations where all trains serve both of them. So all trains at station A stop at B, but also all trains at B stop A

NSE

Established Member
Once on to a branch line it’ll be quite consistent. Once Uckfield and East Grinstead split at Hurst Green I think everything stops at Dormans, Lingfield and East Grinstead (obv!). I feel like Uckfield might have a few skip stops tho. Same for something like Chessington

Huntingdon and St. Neots also spring to mind.

Chorley Cake

It’s meant to be “larger” stations and more thought provoking stations, not obvious branch line stuff.

Whether trains stop is not important.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I believe every northbound train from Manchester Airport passes through Manchester Piccadilly, though I don't believe the track configuration would allow them not to!

Peter0124

Established Member
All scheduled passenger trains through Newton (Lanarkshire) on both the stopping and bypass lines will also stop at Glasgow Central

Dai Corner

Established Member
Particularly major or stopping stations. Obvious one being Waterloo East and Charing Cross. Looking for more subtle ones. For example do all Newport’s passenger trains also appear at Cardiff Central ?
Normally yes, though Swansea-Paddington services were only operating between Newport and Reading for a few days last week due to the shortage of Class 800s.

Not all trains leaving Cardiff in the Up direction towards Newport reach the latter, of course.

Last edited:

Dai Corner

Established Member
Probably less than half I would imagine.

6 out of the 7 departures each hour; that to Ebbw Vale leaving the main line at Ebbw Jn which is west of Newport station. I wasn't including trains to Queen Street and the Valleys.

Deepgreen

Established Member
"Whether trains stop is not important."

If stopping doesn't matter then every terminus and its immediate neighbour where there are no junctions to other lines between. Too long a list to go through, but for example Waterloo and Vauxhall.

Chorley Cake

"Whether trains stop is not important."

If stopping doesn't matter then every terminus and its immediate neighbour where there are no junctions to other lines between. Too long a list to go through, but for example Waterloo and Vauxhall.
You quoted part of my comments but not the part about looking for more subtle ones (like the Bradford Interchange / Halifax or everything at Newport can be seen at Cardiff).

Deepgreen

Established Member
You quoted part of my comments but not the part about looking for more subtle ones (like the Bradford Interchange / Halifax or everything at Newport can be seen at Cardiff).
Indeed, but you also cited Charing Cross to Waterloo East as an exampe, so I expanded on that. How about some reversed ones - e.g. Hampton Court - in normal times everything leaving there will also occur at all stations en route to Waterloo, and countless other similar examples. Basically, any two locations without junctions or service reversal points between will qualify, of which there must be thousands.

Chorley Cake

Indeed, but you also cited Charing Cross to Waterloo East as an exampe, so I expanded on that. How about some reversed ones - e.g. Hampton Court - in normal times everything leaving there will also occur at all stations en route to Waterloo, and countless other similar examples. Basically, any two locations without junctions or service reversal points between will qualify, of which there must be thousands.
Without wishing to sound confrontational I said that Charing Cross to Waterloo East was an obvious one and that I was looking for something more subtle. Which part of this is difficult to interpret ? I am aware of the many many next stations that are simply bound to have the same services. Listing those would be pointless. I also stated that major stations were a preference.

The Halifax to Bradford one was perfect, I hadn’t realised they both had the same services. Similar with Gillingham to Rochester.

They don’t need to have the same trains at both stations, just that one [major] station’s trains can all be seen at another.

D6975

Established Member
Probably doesn't count as there is now Low Moor in between, but I guess that Bradford Interchange and New Pudsey can count?
Low Moor isn't between Bradford and New Pudsey...
It's between Bradford and Halifax.
Halifax and Bradford int?
There are supposed to be services that turn round at Bradford and go back towards Leeds. I think they are currently turning round short at Leeds though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.