• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations that don't sound like they're Spelt

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
like Flitwick, not Gatwick

Famous story of the first days of Brighton drivers working through to Bedford and making the PA announcements on a newish 319 - "posh" Harpenden lady imperiously raps on cab window and says "excuse me driver ..its FLITWICK ..."

Driver responds - "lady - its not Gatick my end , engages notch 4 and drives off"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

37 418

Some are easy to work out where the pronunciation is either a shortening or pronoucning letters out of character but how did Milngavie get to be pronounced the way it is?

LIke many Scottish placenames, Milngavie (from Muileann Gaoithe) has resulted from poor attempts at pronouncing and writing Gaelic. The same has happened in Wales and Cornwall, a good example was given in an earlier thread in Cornwall: Launceston (from Llansteffan)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
like Flitwick, not Gatwick

Famous story of the first days of Brighton drivers working through to Bedford and making the PA announcements on a newish 319 - "posh" Harpenden lady imperiously raps on cab window and says "excuse me driver ..its FLITWICK ..."

Driver responds - "lady - its not Gatick my end , engages notch 4 and drives off"

HaHa! Presumably from the same Brighton link who STILL announce trains calling at "St Albans, Harpington..."

Status
Not open for further replies.