• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations that don't sound like they're Spelt

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamybrian

Established Member
Here are some local ones to me here in the South East
Meopham pronounced Mep-ham
Leigh (Kent) pronounced locally as " lie"
Eynsford pronounced as ains-ford ain as in pain (without the p)
Beaulieu (Road) pronounced Bew-ley and ( Bew to rhyme with cue)
Isleworth pronounced I-sall-worth (sall to rhyme with ball)
there are a few others I have heard foreigners mis-pronounce such as Chiswick, Dulwich for which I tell them to ignore the "w" in the placenames.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sir_Clagalot

The Tyne & Wear Metro announce Prudhoe as prude hoe!!

Wymondham had me stumped when our trainer said we were going to Wyndham and I couldn't find it on the map until we got there and I saw the spelling!!

Isn't Slaithwaite pronounced Sla-wit?

Ivo

Established Member
How about the obvious one that even locals aren't sure of - Shrewsbury? Is it phonetically "correct" to say it as it looks - or should it be "Shrows"?

And that place near Brighton that's pronounced "Hove Actually"

Calling at Worthing, Shoreham-by-Sea, Hove Actually and Brighton.

Hmm... not sure about that :p

Lampshade

Established Member
How about the obvious one that even locals aren't sure of - Shrewsbury? Is it phonetically "correct" to say it as it looks - or should it be "Shrows"?

I have a mate from Shrewsbury and he says it's definitely said how it looks.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Alnmouth -> An-muth.
This makes sense (after all, Alnwick is pronounced An-ick!) but apparently some people call it "Alan-mouth". This is sometimes debated on trains when passing through Alnmouth.

Norwich is sometimes called "Nowidge" or "Norridge" but I don't think that's correct.:lol:

Marylebone should be "Marley-bone" but if you go to the GCR they say something funny like "Marrie-le-bun"!:lol:

Bicester pronounced Bister
Of course everywhere ending "cester" is changed to simply end "ster", e.g. Leicester, Bicester, Worcester.... with the exception of Cirencester!

And what about Keighley?.
Keith Lee!;)

But people from Keighley can't say "(Wakefield) Kirkgate", they say "Kurr-gut" :lol:

Americans can't pronounce Loughborough correctly, they say "Loo-gah-bor-oou-gah"!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Maybe obvious, maybe not, but....

Aigburgh - "egg-berth"

Haborough - "hay-borough"

Huyton - "High-ton"

Crossover

Established Member
Alnmouth -> An-muth.

As Yorkie has said, I have also heard Allun-mouth, too.

Another one is Bradford Forester Square, which the auto announcement on the 333's has wrong. Of course, it Forester is just pronounced as "Foster"
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Haborough - "hay-borough"

It is so clearly Harborough......*ducks for cover from certain members :P*

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Americans can't pronounce Loughborough correctly, they say "Loo-gah-bor-oou-gah"!

Americans can't even pronounce Luton ("lut-on" rather than "loo-tun") or Edinburgh ("Edin-burrow" rather than "edd in-bruh"). Although, I have heard them say "low-buh-rah" before.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
It is so clearly Harborough......*ducks for cover from certain members :P*

Funny you should say that, I asked for a ticket to "Harborough" from Scunthorpe a month or so back, and, having been corrected, I got a funny look after saying "I say tom-ar-toe, you say tom-ay-toe":lol:

LE Greys

Established Member
Americans can't even pronounce Luton ("lut-on" rather than "loo-tun") or Edinburgh ("Edin-burrow" rather than "edd in-bruh"). Although, I have heard them say "low-buh-rah" before.

Americans never drop the last vowel in names, so it's Birmingham in Alabama and Birminghm over here. But you should see the tricks I've used to get my computer to pronounce Slauwe (Slough) or Milton Keens (not as in John Maynard Keynes).

WatcherZero

Established Member
Kirkby, pronunced Kirby NOT Kirk-by.
Horwich, pronunced hor-itch, not hor-witch
Weaste, pronounced weest
Mosley is not pronounced Moss-ly

TheJRB

Established Member
Hever - of course pronounced as in fever ("heever") not "hev-er".
Wrotham (i.e. Borough Green & Wrotham) which is pronounced Route-ham, not Rotham.

Then there are a few local to me which there seem to be some confusion over: Bearsted - should it be "beer-sted" or "bear-sted"; Malling "mal-ing" or "maul-ing" although I get the feeling the consensus is that the latter is correct.

stut

Established Member
For the more old school among us, there is the now archaic pronunciation of Sawbridgeworth as "Sapsed".

On a slight tangent, I've never understood what it is about Arlesey that so many people manage to mispronounce. It's "arl-zee" but you hear all sorts: "arse-lee" and "ar-lessie" in particular.

In general, though, it's hard to know when local accent becomes official pronunciation. Is it "haver-hill" or "hay-vrill", "burry" or "berry" (there's two of those, of course), "brad-ford" or "brat-fud"?

And that's before we even get onto Wales and Scotland. Auchinleck to Rutherglen, anyone?

For the more old school among us, there is the now archaic pronunciation of Sawbridgeworth as "Sapsed".

On a slight tangent, I've never understood what it is about Arlesey that so many people manage to mispronounce. It's "arl-zee" but you hear all sorts: "arse-lee" and "ar-lessie" in particular.

In general, though, it's hard to know when local accent becomes official pronunciation. Is it "haver-hill" or "hay-vrill", "burry" or "berry" (there's two of those, of course), "brad-ford" or "brat-fud"?

And that's before we even get onto Wales and Scotland. Auchinleck to Rutherglen, anyone?

Speaking of which, I heard someone say, recently, that Rutherglen was pronounced Ruglen? Is this correct or a windup? Any scotttish members on here know the definitive answer? Thanks.

stut

Established Member
Speaking of which, I heard someone say, recently, that Rutherglen was pronounced Ruglen? Is this correct or a windup? Any scotttish members on here know the definitive answer? Thanks.

A Buddy writes: yes and no. It is, in a glottal-stop, consonant-dropping, accented kind of way, but it's still officially fully sounded out, unlike say Strathaven or Kirkcudbright.

It's a bit like Snettisham or Osbaldwick.
Isn't Dalry (between Paisley and Ayr) pronounced Dal-rye?

It is, although the a is lightly sounded, and the accent is on the second syllable.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Thanks!

Here's another - the freight siding near Carstairs - Renstrie or Ravenstruther? I've seen both used, but I think the former is more common.

A Buddy writes: yes and no. It is, in a glottal-stop, consonant-dropping, accented kind of way, but it's still officially fully sounded out, unlike say Strathaven or Kirkcudbright.

It's a bit like Snettisham or Osbaldwick.

It is, although the a is lightly sounded, and the accent is on the second syllable.

That's interesting. Thankyou.

stut

Established Member
Thanks!

Here's another - the freight siding near Carstairs - Renstrie or Ravenstruther? I've seen both used, but I think the former is more common.

I've always thought it was Renstrie. Lanarkshire seems to be a particular magnet for dropped syllables - remember when Dalzell steelworks was in the news?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Thanks again.

I also believe Whitwell station on the Robin Hood line is pronounced 'Whitwul' (or is that just me? :lol:)

Status
Not open for further replies.