• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations that have never had a diesel passenger service

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisEL

Hope this hasn't come up before.

My local station, Ewell West, has (as far as I know) never had a diesel passenger service, having switched from steam to electric traction in 1925. I was wondering which other stations (existing stations only) can say the same.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Most of the old Southern Railway that was electrified during the pre-war era went straight from steam to electric (suburban, Brighton and Portsmouth main lines, Sussex coast etc). There were exceptions to this around the fringes - Brighton to Lewes had thumpers to Tunbridge Wells for a while, and Bo-peep to Ore.

As far as Kent is concerned, most route's almost went straight from steam to electric - however I know the main line from Tonbridge through Ashford had some diesel loco hauled services immediately prior to electrification in the early 1960's, together with the odd Hastings DEMU. Not sure about the North Kent system via Faversham. That went electric earlier so may have missed out the diesel interlude.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well obviously some recently opened stations on routes currently only served by electric trains e.g. Meridian Water, but I somehow I don't think that's what the OP had in mind?

geoffk

Established Member
Most of the present Merseyrail system apart from the extensions electrified since 1977.

rogercov

Hope this hasn't come up before.

My local station, Ewell West, has (as far as I know) never had a diesel passenger service, having switched from steam to electric traction in 1925. I was wondering which other stations (existing stations only) can say the same.

I think the same applies to most of the Southern Region, apart from the Hastngs line, Guidford to Tonbridge, Hastings to Ashford, and anything West of Basingstoke. Even the Kent Coast, which was electrified around 1960, went straight from steam to electric.

The same probably applies to the minor stations in other cities that had electric services very early on.

rogercov

And of course the Uckfield and East Grinstead services through East Croydon, and Crowhurst to Bexhill West were also exceptions.

ChrisEL

Well obviously some recently opened stations on routes currently only served by electric trains e.g. Meridian Water, but I somehow I don't think that's what the OP had in mind?

Stations like Meridian Water and Mitcham Eastfields are included, yes.

What about Fenchurch Street and the c2c route?

adamedwards

Local trains in South Manchester. Guessing Glossop/Hadfield line but also possibly stations on the line to Crewe e.g Alderley Edge?

delt1c

Established Member
Southbury loop out of Liverpool st. Edmonton to Cheshunt was only reopened when electrified. Bathgate to Airdrie. Liverpool loop line

RT4038

Established Member
Most of the present Merseyrail system apart from the extensions electrified since 1977.

Not sure that is right, because there was an (infrequent) Liverpool Lime Street to Southport via Bootle DMU service which connected with certain London trains (I presume replacing steam hauled through carriages), and the Liverpool Central-Hunt's Cross section was DMU operated. So apart from the Mersey Tunnel lines all had DMUs at one time?

johnnychips

Established Member
Local trains in South Manchester. Guessing Glossop/Hadfield line but also possibly stations on the line to Crewe e.g Alderley Edge?
The Glossop line had a diesel service while they were converting from DC to AC. Not sure how long this took, though.

RT4038

Established Member
Stations like Meridian Water and Mitcham Eastfields are included, yes.

What about Fenchurch Street and the c2c route?

Diesel trains (both loco hauled and DMU) ran on all of the LTS lines during electrification work. Steam ran peak hour service up to conversion too.

Don't think the Shenfield-Southend Victoria line ever had scheduled Diesel passenger trains.

AM9

Veteran Member
With the exception of Liverpool St - most main line trains, Stratford - Low Level platforms and some Lea Valley line services, Romford - Upminster shuttles, Shenfield - a few main line stoppers and Wickford, - Southminster shuttles, the line from London to Southend Victoria has ISTR, never had services that used diesel-halued trains.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not sure that is right, because there was an (infrequent) Liverpool Lime Street to Southport via Bootle DMU service which connected with certain London trains (I presume replacing steam hauled through carriages), and the Liverpool Central-Hunt's Cross section was DMU operated. So apart from the Mersey Tunnel lines all had DMUs at one time?

Has the Ormskirk line ever had diesels? I thought the last steam service to Preston and beyond was the last through service, i.e. the through services were withdrawn at the end of steam leaving only the EMUs.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Hadfield has had a DMU (Pacer) service from Manchester Victoria via Ashburys during a closure of Picc for engineering works some years ago. It squealed like a pig round Ashburys curve.

S&CLER

And the New Brighton branch had dmus from Wrexham via the Bidston west curve before they were cut short at Bidston; I've an idea they ran to Birkenhead North at one time. So only the West Kirby branch and the stations between Birkenhead Park and Liverpool have never had diesel trains.

RT4038

Established Member
I think the same applies to most of the Southern Region, apart from the Hastngs line, Guidford to Tonbridge, Hastings to Ashford, and anything West of Basingstoke. Even the Kent Coast, which was electrified around 1960, went straight from steam to electric.

The same probably applies to the minor stations in other cities that had electric services very early on.

The Kent Coast had alot of scheduled Diesel hauled trains (mostly BR/Sulzer Type 2 in the D5000 series) in the run up to Electrification.

S&CLER

Has the Ormskirk line ever had diesels? I thought the last steam service to Preston and beyond was the last through service, i.e. the through services were withdrawn at the end of steam leaving only the EMUs.

I recall going to Ormskirk from Maghull with my mum one Saturday and finding that dmus were substituting for emus, while something was amiss with the power supply. Only happened once in my experience.

RT4038

Established Member
I don't think the North Clydeside Blue Train routes Milngavie/Balloch or the Airdrie line would have had scheduled diesels prior to electrification either? Certainly Oban line trains passing on certain sections would have been.

I recall going to Ormskirk from Maghull with my mum one Saturday and finding that dmus were substituting for emus, while something was amiss with the power supply. Only happened once in my experience.

DMUs (and main line diesels on through Glasgow trains) must have operated to/through Ormskirk before electrification though?

BigB

As the line to Liverpool Central in diesel days went to the above ground station (I even remember doing it as child) - pedantic I know, but the "new" Liverpool Central station to Moorfields will not have had diesel, even the loco used when tunnelling was a battery loco.

Edgeley

I've seen a picture of a DMU (class 104) calling at Prestbury on the Macclesfield line in August 1960. More recently, Alderley Edge has been treated to pacers I think!

RT4038

Established Member
The third rail dates back far longer than DMUs were a thing.

Ah yes, on that line I was referring to the through Preston trains. Presumably many of the local stations never had diesel trains calling, merely passing through?

delt1c

Established Member
With the exception of Liverpool St - most main line trains, Stratford - Low Level platforms and some Lea Valley line services, Romford - Upminster shuttles, Shenfield - a few main line stoppers and Wickford, - Southminster shuttles, the line from London to Southend Victoria has ISTR, never had services that used diesel-halued trains.
Stratford low level had a diesel service usually 105's to North Woolwich. There was also a morning service post privatisation to I believe Watford which used a 150

Lucan

Established Member
The whole of the London Underground network except Harrow on the Hill on the Metropolitan Line and the more important stations beyond it. The idea of diesels on the LU is not all that preposterous - the whole of the Met and District lines (inculding the Circle) were originally steam hauled.

topydre

Re. The southern 3rd rail area:
Tunnel flooding at Maidstone and Strood (not at the same time afaik) occasioned the use of diesel locos or thumpers at times

Status
Not open for further replies.