• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Stations That Have Reopened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intercity 225

Shirebrook is another on The Robin Hood Line that's reopened at the same spot. It reopened in 1998, three years after Mansfield and unlike the former the station building isn't used for railway purposes. It's still fully intact and next to the southbound platform though. Also originally closed in 1964.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScotTrains

As a bonus, what about the reopened station that now handles the most passengers on an annual basis?

I'd start with Dyce, shut in the 60s, reopened in 1984 on the same site, now handles over 800k pa? I'm sure that there are ones that can beat that, but it's still pretty impressive.

Don't know if I'm allowed Exhibition Centre or not as it was called Finnieston when it opened in 1979 and Stobcross when it closed in 1959. The reopened station is roughly in the same location. The eastbound platform is where it used to be the westbound one. 2014 annual passenger numbers were 1.375M.

james60059

Bedworth, closed in 1964 reopened in 1988.
Narborough, closed in 1968 but reopened in 1970 :lol:

One that's due to reopen at some point is Kenilworth, closed in 1964 due to reopen....soon, I believe it's being rebuilt on the same spot too.

randyrippley

Established Member
Templecombe on the Waterloo - Exeter
Closed 1966, reopened 1983

One day the Somerset & Dorset low level station will reopen as well...........

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Can we count Waterloo International? That closed, then reopened and has now closed again

BurtonM

Would City Thameslink come under this umbrella?

(also, what about lines about Manchester converted to Metrolink?)

oh, and Stone?

cf111

Established Member
Conon Bridge was originally a two platform station that opened under the name of Conon on 11th June 1862 and closed on 13th June 1961. and I mention this as when it was reopened on 8th February 2013, all it had was an extremely short new-construction-style single platform that cost an inordinate amount of money to construct.

Beauly station which reopened in 2002 on the same line is a similar arrangement. At both Conon Bridge and Beauly the only door in operation is the rear door of the leading carriage.

GlosRail

Ashchurch closed 1971.
Reopened 1997 as Ashchurch for Tewkesbury on the same site.

AJM580

Watlington station in Norfolk. Closed 1968 as Magdalen Road, then reopened in 1975 as Magdalen Road. Renamed Watlington in 1989

Veteran Member
Cononley?

No question - it's why it reopened before Steeton and Silsden, I was told.

A bit further down the line, IIRC all the smaller Settle and Carlisle stations re-used the original platforms (except for the Down at Ribblehead).

As does Feniton ex Sidmouth Jn. Not sure about Ivybridge, and Tiverton Parkway definitely doesn't, nor Islip. I think Bicester London Rd did initially.

GazUk

I am going to go for the one of the bigger stations on the network and that is -

Birmingham Snow Hill Closed 6th March 1972 , Reopened 5th October 1987

Established Member
Don't know if I'm allowed Exhibition Centre or not as it was called Finnieston when it opened in 1979 and Stobcross when it closed in 1959. The reopened station is roughly in the same location. The eastbound platform is where it used to be the westbound one. 2014 annual passenger numbers were 1.375M.
Actually, I can trump both of our nominations with another nearby station: Glasgow Central Low Level was closed in 1964 and reopened on the same site as part of the Argyle Line in 1979. I can't find passenger figures for it separate to the station overall but I imagine it'll be more than Exhibition Centre, and certainly far more than Dyce, although I doubt if it'll be more than the 3.7m of Dalston Jn.

Any advance on Dalston Jn?

BurtonM

Could you count Kings Cross Thameslink and St. Pancras or are they regarded as separate entities?

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
Most of the city centre stations of the Argyle Line spring to mind.

• Stobcross - This one is a bit unusual. The original station closed in August 1959 and was partially reopened in November 1979 as part of the new Finnieston station (much of Stobcross' former westbound platform was reused in the new station's eastbound one). It later gained the name Exhibition Centre in 1986 to coincide with the opening of the nearby Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre (SECC)).
  • Anderston Cross - also closed in August 1959, it's station building being wiped off the map in 1968 to make way for the M8 motorway works (like countless other historic buildings in the area). Reopened in November 1979 as Anderston, utilizing much of the original architecture at platform level.
  • Glasgow Central Low Level - closed along with the rest of the line on 5th October 1964. Reopened in November 1979, retaining much of the original architecture at platform level, like Anderston one station to the west.
  • Bridgeton - closed along with the rest of the line on 5th October 1964. Upon reopening in November 1979, it replaced the nearby Bridgeton Central, which was subsequently used as a stabling/maintenance point for Class 303 & 311s, until the new Yoker Carriage Sidings in the western suburbs replaced it in this role in 1987. The platforms & tracks were then demolished/removed, but the station building survives as a Category B listed commercial and residential property.
  • Dalmarnock - closed on 5th October 1964 along with the rest of the line. Reopened on 5th November 1979.

Last edited:

BurtonM

I think that's to do with me and KGX. I'm aware they're on different sites (you pass the old TL station to get to StP, and the remains of the TL station are pretty obvious) but they're intended to serve the same place.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
As a bonus, what about the reopened station that now handles the most passengers on an annual basis?

I'd start with Dyce, shut in the 60s, reopened in 1984 on the same site, now handles over 800k pa? I'm sure that there are ones that can beat that, but it's still pretty impressive.

You'll be hard pushed to beat Birmingham Snow Hill. It's one of those stations which the ORR struggle to publish accurate user numbers for because of the number of people travelling through on tickets and passes which are also valid into Moor Street and New Street but it's somewhere in the region of 4.5 to 5 million journeys a year.

Intercity 225

Two more on The Robin Hood Line - Hucknall and Bulwell. Both originally closed in 1964 and reopened in 1993 and 1996 respectively.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Another one on the Robin Hood line, Newstead. Closed 1964 (again) and reopened 1993, as the original northern terminus of the line.

Established Member
Syston, Sileby and Barrow-on-Soar closed in 1968 but reopened as part of Ivanhoe Line phase 1 in 1994

Last edited:

Millisle

In addition to Beauly and Conon Bridge already contributed, also on the Far North are Muir of Ord, Alness, Rogart and Dunrobin, all but the last going in the 1960 attempt to speed the line up. Beauly, Muir, Conon Bridge, with its twin Maryburgh on the other side of the bridge, have all seen increased populations as dormitories to Inverness. Alness grew sharply owing to the shortlived aluminium smelter. Rogart was reopened after nine months owing to the hardship to a community off the main road, the same reason that would save Insch. Dunrobin was reopened as a boost to tourism; it is in walking distance of Brora. There is also Duncraig on the Kyle line, reopened to serve a now closed further education college.

Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
If we're counting London Underground stations, I'll nominate Tower Hill. Originally opened by the Metropolitan Railway on 25th September 1882 as Tower of London, it closed on 12th October 1884 following the extension of the District Railway to meet the Met, completing the "Inner Circle", and serving a new station called Mark Lane slightly further west.

Mark Lane closed on 4th February 1967 (as Tower Hill, having been renamed in 1946), with the current station (re)opening - on the site of the old Tower of London station - the following day.

To the letter of the law that would be "formally shut to passengers and all legal powers extinguished by the Secretary of State following the due station closure process". A recent example is Norton Bridge, which was closed and replaced by a bus stop. Though I doubt many people noticed ...

Norton Bridge is still technically open though I guess unlike wedgewood and barlaston there is absolutely no possibility of it receiving train services again

MedwayValiant

There is also Duncraig on the Kyle line, reopened to serve a now closed further education college.

Duncraig station was officially closed in 1964, and reopened in 1976.

But, or so it is claimed in a book I read about the West Highland Line, it was only a little bit closed for those twelve years. It didn't appear on the timetable, but in practice trains still stopped there on request.

Have there been any other "closed" stations that you could still use if you were in the know?

Now then, Corby station closed in 1966, reopened in 1987, closed again in 1990, and reopened again in 2009. Are any of the three stations on the same site?

Status
Not open for further replies.