• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Stations That Have Reopened

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
G'day everyone,

The idea is stations that have closed and then reopened at the same location. My suggestion is in fact my favorite station; Dent! Closed in 1970 and reopened on a permanent basis in 1986.

All other suggestions would be very welcome!

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Quite a few of the recent(ish) openings round here are NOT on the exact same site, such as Apperley Bridge, Kirkstall Forge (soon), and Berry Brow (1992). Others round here are completely new (Cottingley, Glasshoughton) and some just about overlap onto the original footprint (Brighouse, Slaithwaite). I'm struggling to think of any in the area that used platforms that survived after closure, which would be an indication of using the same site.

Fishguard and Goodwick re-used the surviving platform from before closure.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Others round here are completely new (Cottingley, Glasshoughton) and some just about overlap onto the original footprint (Brighouse, Slaithwaite). I'm struggling to think of any in the area that used platforms that survived after closure, which would be an indication of using the same site.

As far as I'm concerned if the station has been rebuilt on the same site of the original station yard that is good enough for me :) In all honesty in many cases the platforms would have probably have had to be rebuilt if the station had been disused for a number of years.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Lostock (Parkway) - but only half of the station re-opened (the platforms on the Preston line).

Lostock Hall does not count, as the re-opened station is on the other side of the same road bridge (prospective passengers still walk to the same location, just turn left instead of right!).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I will put an example forward that must rank as being the longest time before closure and reopening which is that of Mills Hill on the Manchester to Rochdale line. It closed on 11th August 1842 and did not reopen until 25th March 1985, a period of nearly 143 years.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Pickering, Levisham, Goathland stations

They all were officially closed before reentering service

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Conon Bridge was originally a two platform station that opened under the name of Conon on 11th June 1862 and closed on 13th June 1961. and I mention this as when it was reopened on 8th February 2013, all it had was an extremely short new-construction-style single platform that cost an inordinate amount of money to construct.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
*raises hand to ask point*

May I assume this does not include temporary closures such as signal failures and such like...? otherwise, I could list every station

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Pickering, Levisham, Goathland stations

They all were officially closed before reentering service

An interesting premise that will cause hurried references to all reopened lines now under heritage status, such as all those on the Worth Valley Railway, for example.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
*raises hand to ask point*

May I assume this does not include temporary closures such as signal failures and such like...? otherwise, I could list every station

Best to assume officially closed stations that were then subsequently reopened.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
An interesting premise that will cause hurried references to all reopened lines now under heritage status, such as all those on the Worth Valley Railway, for example.

*shrugs*

Well under the OPs original rules, they would be valid

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
As part of an area initiative that proved to be a success, three closed stations on the Ribble Valley Line were reopened:-
Langho......Closed 1956, Reopened 1994
Whalley.....Closed 1962, Reopened 1994
Clitheroe....Closed 1962, Reopened 1994.

ScotTrains

Quite a few lines have reopened in Scotland: Airdrie to Bathgate, Borders line, Maryhill line, Larkhall branch, Argyll line under central station, etc. I think most of the stations are in the same location. Some are new stations in slightly different location ( eg Bathgate) and some use the old stations (Argyll line).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Quite a few lines have reopened in Scotland: Airdrie to Bathgate, Borders line, Maryhill line, Larkhall branch, Argyll line under central station, etc. I think most of the stations are in the same location. Some are new stations in slightly different location ( eg Bathgate) and some use the old stations (Argyll line).

I am glad you brought up the matter of the Borders Railway as the only two of these closed stations that were reopened on their ORIGINAL site are Stow and Gorebridge

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
What defines "Closed"?

One could argue that Newhaven Marine was closed to passengers and the fare ability withdrawn - but now its back on the database so can it be counted as reopened?

TheEdge

Established Member
Melton on the East Suffolk Line, closed 1955, re-opened 1984.

Partial reopening award goes to Beccles, reduced from 4 platforms to 1 platform after various rationalisation but a second platform rebuilt and opened in 2012.

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
What defines "Closed"?

One could argue that Newhaven Marine was closed to passengers and the fare ability withdrawn - but now its back on the database so can it be counted as reopened?

To the letter of the law that would be "formally shut to passengers and all legal powers extinguished by the Secretary of State following the due station closure process". A recent example is Norton Bridge, which was closed and replaced by a bus stop. Though I doubt many people noticed ...

Welshman

Established Member
Conway, closed 14th February 1966, re-opened as Conwy 29th June 1987.

And how about?

Foryd [at Kinmel Bay - replacing that on the Vale of Clwyd line], opened 2nd April 1885, closed for WW1 2nd July 1917.
Re-opened 1st July 1919, closed 5th January 1931;
Re-opened as Kinmel Bay Halt for summer 4th July 1938, closed 2nd September 1938;
Re-opened for summer 19th June 1939, stopped being used 2nd September 1939; officially closed 9th October 1948.

Now there is a move to re-open a station in the Kinmel Bay/Towyn area!

Is this the record?

Established Member
As a bonus, what about the reopened station that now handles the most passengers on an annual basis?

I'd start with Dyce, shut in the 60s, reopened in 1984 on the same site, now handles over 800k pa? I'm sure that there are ones that can beat that, but it's still pretty impressive.

Mikey C

Established Member
As a bonus, what about the reopened station that now handles the most passengers on an annual basis?

I'd start with Dyce, shut in the 60s, reopened in 1984 on the same site, now handles over 800k pa? I'm sure that there are ones that can beat that, but it's still pretty impressive.

Dalston Junction?

Opened on the same site as the old station, and a key station on the London Overground. I'm not sure if any other stations have reopened on the exact same location?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Chandlers Ford is on its original site, on the Romsey to Eastleigh line.

Last edited:

urbophile

Established Member
St Michaels, Aigburth, Cressington on Merseyrail Northern Line: closed approx 1970 re-opened 1977-8. Though I suppose it was always the intention to do that, I rather think that they still went through the official closure procedure. Garston too belonged in that list until in turned it closed (and was totally demolished - no traces surviving) to be replaced by Liverpool South Parkway a few meters down the line.

Intercity 225

Mansfield station reopened in 1995 at the same location with the original station building after being closed in 1964.

Status
Not open for further replies.