• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Stations that used to have Excursion Platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

d9009alycidon

There was a racecourse station in Scotland, this was Lanark Racecourse on the Lanark to Muirkirk Line, the station and branch closed in 1964 and the Racecourse is itself long disused, closing in 1977

John Luxton

Established Member
Aintree Sefton Arms has never been called 'Race Course'. It is now the only station at Aintree, and therefore gets all traffic including race excursions even though it only has two platforms. Now called Aintree.

For inland resorts:
Buxton (Midland), long demolished, had an excursion platform.
What I meant was the additional platforms at Aintree Sefton Arms which were provided for excursions and one for LOR Raceday Specials, I should have worded that differently.

Yes the 2 excursion platforms at Esher existed, they even had stairs and subways to Lower Green Road,
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=51.37981&lon=-0.35836&layers=170&b=1

There's also a photo of one of them on ebay

On Google street view older pictures (April 2012) show one of the subway entrances filled in (nearest one to the railway bridge crossing Lower Green Road), but leaving the top of the subway tunnel exposed.

Edit: Even better than that, the July 2008 and April 2012 street view photos show the disused superstructure of the northern bridge span over Lower Green Road, this bridge span was surplus to requirements when the excursion platforms closed and was removed entirely by August 2012.
Thankyou. It coud be that that bridge is all I genuinely remember seeing from passing trains, but it's in my mind that the remains of the platforms were visible as well, at least in the 1980s and possibly much more recently (I passed through Esher only a few weeks ago, but I wasn't looking out for them).

billh

Longsight had excursion platforms (probably still extant?) to serve the nearby Belle Vue Zoo and Fun Park, and apparently the GCR Hyde Road Station on the Fallowfield Loop Line also at one stage had a bay platform or two for the same purpose.
Belle Vue station had excursion platforms as well as an ancient PA system for train announcements, part of which I acquired in 1970 when the station buildings were being demolished.

The DJ

Cleethorpes? Several disused platforms and evidence of long gone infrastructure along with stories of holiday expresses from far and wide heading for Cleethorpes.
Side question: All of today's services to Cleethorpes have to pass through Grimsby Town first but I've heard this was not always the case as there was a route which touched Grimsby but did not pass Grimsby Town Station.

Is Wikipedia correct that the current platforms at Saltburn were excursion platforms? From their position relative to the building it certainly appears that they weren't the main platforms.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
Cleethorpes? Several disused platforms and evidence of long gone infrastructure along with stories of holiday expresses from far and wide heading for Cleethorpes.
Side question: All of today's services to Cleethorpes have to pass through Grimsby Town first but I've heard this was not always the case as there was a route which touched Grimsby but did not pass Grimsby Town Station.

I live in Cleethorpes and as far as i know they were regular platforms.

There was the East Lincolnshire Line which ran from Grimsby to Boston and there was a curve to Cleethorpes avoiding Grimsby Town but it went through what is now Peak parkway. As far as i know there is no other passenger line that avoided Town station

Roger1973

Two that may qualify -

Ascot Station has at least one disused platform on the north / down side. I have heard it suggested this was used for additional trains to / from Ascot Races, but not sure if this is correct.

I have read elsewhere that Ascot West Station was latterly used for major race days only.

Twickenham Station had two bay platforms (platforms 1 and 2) - I can't remember ever seeing these being used, and not sure if these were used for much other than extra trains for rugby matches. Platform 2 seemed to have some reinstatement work done on it in the months prior to the 2015 rugby world cup, but don't think it got finished in time, and seems to be abandoned again.

billio

Wetherby Racecourse Station. From 1924 to late 50's or early 60's race day excursions ran to this station.

Status
Not open for further replies.