• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Stations visible from within other stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chorley Cake

As the title says really (apologies if this has been done before). Has to be rail infrastructure from within the station so King’s Cross and St Pancras don’t really count. No underground / trams.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It’s been done a few times, here’s a few pages from 2019:

Class800

Established Member
Woolwich Arsenal from Plumstead - but not seemingly the other way around if standing in the normal part of platform. In fact, from Plumstead you can only see the back section of the Woolwich curved platform at which few trains call

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
At Cardonald and Hillington West, you can (if you have good eyesight!) see trains calling at not just one, but the next two stations along the line.

TXMISTA

Aldgate from Aldgate East on the tube

Edit: actually the view is on the approach to Aldgate East. I’m not sure you can see Aldgate from the platforms

adc82140

Established Member
Farnborough Main is visible from the footbridge at Fleet with binoculars.

D6130

Established Member
Perhaps unsurprisingly, given the distance, but Ty Glas is visible from Birchgrove.
In the same area: Heath High Level from Heath Low Level and vice-versa.

Also, IIRC, Catford and Catford Bridge (although less-so since the new flats were built).

Dumbarton Central and Dalreoch.

Anderston-Glasgow Central (Low Level) - Argyle Street.

Scotstounhill and Garscadden.

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
Palmer's Green and Winchmore Hill as you can easily see the former from the latter's platforms.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I think if you stand on the end of the platforms at Wigan North Western you can see the end of the platforms at Wigan Wallgate.

Several stations on the Lea Valley are visIble from each other.

birchesgreen

Established Member
You can see a train at Wylde Green from the end of the platform at Chester Road... in winter when the trees are without leaves anyway.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
widnes and Hough Green

Newcastle and Manors

a fair few on the the and wear metro routes which are also national rail such as Heworth and Pelaw, Monkwearmouth (closed) from both St Peters and Stadium of Light - ironically St Peters is actually closer and easier to get to from Sunderlands hallowed footballing turf than the stadium of light station is. There are also a number on the tynemouth loop within viewing distance.

Tonbridge and Paddock Wood i believe is another owing to its straight and level for several miles, amd I would imagine some of the stops between Basingstoke and Wimbledon and between Reading and London Paddington will be visible from each other again due to the straight and level nature of much of the route

CAF397

Roby and Huyton from each other.

You can see the trains calling at Mauldeth Road, Burnage & East Didsbury from each other. At East Didsbury you can also see trains calling at Gatley.

ls2270

Established Member
Anerley can be seen from Penge West and Orpington can be seen from Petts Wood.

southern442

Established Member
South Croydon and East Croydon is another similar pair. Perhaps stations that are one stop away from major stations are much more likely to have this occur, since the major station often has a lot of infrastructure that is highly visible around it that your eye latches on to. For example with South/East Croydon and Petts Wood/Orpington the railway line widens quite a bit and you start to see sidings and buildings etc.

You can clearly see where Dalston Junction is from Haggerston although I'm not sure if it really counts since it's only the tunnel mouth you're looking at rather than the station itself.

I believe there are quite a few places in the Worthing area of the West Coastway line where stations are visible from eachother.

route101

Established Member
Glasgow Central Low Level and Agyle st, cant see Anderston.

What about South Gyle and Edinburgh Gateway?
[

AndyPJG

amd I would imagine some of the stops between Basingstoke and Wimbledon and between Reading and London Paddington will be visible from each other again due to the straight and level nature of much of the route
Indeed, Walton-on-Thames is visible from Hersham; once many moons ago (1960s) whilst waiting for my train to school on Hersham platform the Walton station announcements were heard due to a gentle breeze in the right direction.

TravelDream

Not in this country, but in Bangkok on the SkyTrain you can in parts see trains five or six stations away which is helpful as there are no screens telling passengers when the next is due.

Status
Not open for further replies.