• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations where a calling service is longer than the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clansman

Established Member
Lot's up here I can think of:

Beauly
Connon Bridge
Balmossie
Golf Street
Dunkeld & Birnam
Blair Atholl
Dalwhinnie
Newtonmore
Carrbridge
Gleneagles
Dunblane
Falkirk Grahamston
Carnoustie
Inverkeithing
Kirkcaldy
Markinch
Ladybank
Cupar
Leuchars

Points to clarify
-Stations where at least 1 platform renders a calling service; "too long" counts, as long as said service calls at the platform which results in at least 1 passenger door inoperable.
-In the instance of locomotive hauled stock, a station does not qualify as long as all passenger doors are operable on the platform, even if the locomotive over-rides.
-Stations qualify only if there is a scheduled service which overides the calling platform.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cf111

Established Member
Conon and Beauly are the only two on the FNL which have short platforms.

najaB

Veteran Member
Lincoln is one of very few multi-platform (edit: more than two platforms) stations in this category.

Last edited:

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Most of the stations on the North Cotswolds line:

Possibly all of them, in fact, other than the two tiny halts (Combe and Finstock) and also Ascott-under-Wychwood, which aren't served by HSTs at all.

If so: that is

Hanborough
Charlbury
Shipton
Kingham
Moreton-in-Marsh
Honeybourne
Evesham
Pershore

Also I think, Worcester Foregate Street

AndyPJG

Dilton Marsh (south of Westbury), with platforms only 17m long; only local door at front is opened.

Last edited:

dgl

Established Member
At least one of the request stops between Dorchester West and Yeovil on the Heart Of the Wessex Line, I believe Whimple or Feniton on the West Of England Line, Clapham Junction (can't remember which platform but too long for 2x444) and also Feltham on the Waterloo to Reading line (can't remember the max coaches but there is a level crossing and (I believe) a bridge in the way).

paul1609

Established Member
London Charing Cross
Clapham Junction
Ifield
Littlehaven
Christs Hospital
Billingshurst
Pulborough
Amberley
Ford,
Angmering
Goring-by sea
Durrington on Sea
West Worthing
Lancing
Southwick
Portslade
Berwick
Pevensey Bay
Three Oaks
Doleham
Fratton
Rowlands Castle

trash80

Established Member
Erdington once, a long time ago in BR days when i was a kid we were coming home from the seaside (i assume a holiday charter) and we were dropped off at ERD. Unfortunately the train stopped in the wrong position so our coach was short of the platform. My Dad just jumped out, helped my Mum and me off and we walked along the track and up the platform.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The newest candidates - Foxton, Shepreth and Meldreth.

Also, Clapham Junction Platform 7 and Charing Cross Platforms 5/6 amongst many, many other examples.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
The ones I know of are Avoncliff, Melksham, Mirfield (Platform 1) and Pontefract Monhill - the latter two in the case with Grand Central.

I've omitted the stations east of Knottingley / west of Goole as the platforms are long enough but only a section is raised to allow a single door to be used.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Does Weston Milton still see peak HST calls?

I could be wrong but I do think that they may have been kept outbound from the West.

https://www.gwr.com/~/media/gwr/pdfs/timetables/december-2016/gw1612-c04-a7-490092-02-web-updated.pdf?la=en

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
A few more cases:

Brough
Selby
Stonehaven
Haymarket
Horsforth

Which stations use SDO for 11 car pendolinos on the West Coast?

greaterwest

Established Member
I can think of a fair few

Milford
Witley
Liphook
Liss
Bedhampton
Winchfield
Hook
Micheldever
Shawford
Beaulieu Road
Avoncliff
Freshford
Whimple
Pinhoe

najaB

Veteran Member
A few more cases:

Brough
Selby
Stonehaven
Haymarket
Horsforth

Which stations use SDO for 11 car pendolinos on the West Coast?
Didn't realise Pendolinos did SDO. I thought they had extended all the platforms.

Kite159

Veteran Member
At least one of the request stops between Dorchester West and Yeovil on the Heart Of the Wessex Line, I believe Whimple or Feniton on the West Of England Line, Clapham Junction (can't remember which platform but too long for 2x444) and also Feltham on the Waterloo to Reading line (can't remember the max coaches but there is a level crossing and (I believe) a bridge in the way).

Platform 7 is the one you are thinking of at clapham, can only hold 8 coaches of 15X & 444, front 9 for a trio of 450s?

----

Whitchurch
Overton

All be it one train a day (the 159-159-158-158 set) as they can only handle 9 coaches

Last edited:

thenorthern

Established Member
Lichfield Trent Valley with the 11 coach Pendolinos although there aren't that many that call anymore.

Clansman

Established Member
IIRC Rugby p6, Coventry p4, Wilmslow p2, Haymarket p3 / 4.

I believe a couple more are equipped with 'X' markers for precision stops with 11-car units.

I'm near positive Haymarket can take a full Pendolino or HST/225 without any problems on both length and positioning.

Last edited:

iantherev

Neither Whimple or Fenton can accommodate a 6 car train, nor can Tisbury.

Sean Emmett

Sunnymeads, Wraysbury and Datchet can't take 10 cars now operating on Windsor line. Datchet has given rise to numerous complaints as up trains block the level crossing. Weight of traffic means gridlock and the other one is effectively blocked too. Surely the up platform should be extended to 10 car?

Longcross can only take first 7 coaches tho it seemed to take 8 car slammers. Bagshot, Camberley & Frimley only 4 car but thro Waterloo trains are 8 car. Camberley due to be extended to 6 car, but will still have level crossing issues as at Datchet.

Chertsey and Addlestone also short, and IIRC there is SDO at some stops on Hounslow loop?

Egham also currently has level crossing issues but plats being extended to 10 car.

Last edited:

scrapy

Established Member
New Lane
Bescar Lane
Moston (towards Rochdale)
Hathersage (towards Manchester)
Orrell
Upholland
Rainford
Thatto Heath*
Garswood*

*Sundays only some services 2*156

Ianno87

Veteran Member
IIRC Rugby p6, Coventry p4, Wilmslow p2, Haymarket p3 / 4.

I believe a couple more are equipped with 'X' markers for precision stops with 11-car units.

And Milton Keynes Platform 1 (used when Fast Lines are under possession)

Bookd

Sunnymeads, Wraysbury and Datchet can't take 10 cars now operating on Windsor line. Datchet has given rise to numerous complaints as up trains block the level crossing. Weight of traffic means gridlock and the other one is effectively blocked too. Surely the up platform should be extended to 10 car?

Longcross can only take first 7 coaches tho it seemed to take 8 car slammers. Bagshot, Camberley & Frimley only 4 car but thro Waterloo trains are 8 car. Camberley due to be extended to 6 car, but will still have level crossing issues as at Datchet.

Chertsey and Addlestone also short, and IIRC there is SDO at some stops on Hounslow loop?

Egham also currently has level crossing issues but plats being extended to 10 car.

Feltham has the same level crossing issue, but it is proposed to solve this by closing the crossing altogether and extending the platform.
Could the Datchet problem be solved, if the platform cannot be extended at the other end, by changing the signalling that up trains overrun the platform, clearing the crossing, and SDO not opening the front rather than the back two coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.