• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations where a platform has been built on the actual site of a ex running line (e.g. fom previous rationalisation/singling)

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamybrian

Established Member
Dalston Junction new station reopened in 2010 with two island platforms replacing the original station closed in 1986 with 4 platforms (two side platforms and a centre island)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dstock7080

Established Member
Thanks for the update. I seem to remember that westbound Districts sometimes used the same platform as the clockwise Circles off-peak or Sundays, or something like that. Your wording suggests not just that they don't any more but that it isn't physically possible - so what's the reason for the change in track connections?
Districts did indeed use pfm.2 in late evenings and all day Sundays, until the early-90s.
Much rationalisation has taken place on SSR with the impending CBTC conversion, crossovers at Hornchurch, Bromley, Aldgate East, Mansion House, Putney Bridge already removed and relevant 228A/228B at Gloucester Road removed in 2018.

David Goddard

Established Member
Peterborough P6/7 island is where a track used to be, although it was effectively moved to the West to become the running line for P7

steamybrian

Established Member
Marylebone platforms 5/6 were built on the site of sidings.
Sudbury & Harrow Road - island platform built on site of through lines and replaced side platforms on loops.
Sudbury Hill, Harrow - possibly the same as Sudbury & Harrow Road...?

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Marylebone platforms 5/6 were built on the site of sidings.
Sudbury & Harrow Road - island platform built on site of through lines and replaced side platforms on loops.
Sudbury Hill, Harrow - possibly the same as Sudbury & Harrow Road...?
Marylebone's gone full circle, as the sidings that Platform 5 and 6 replaced were platforms at one point as well! (Though only four platforms were in use at any given time).

Similarly, the Platform 1 and 2 "island" used to be much wider, with a cab road running along it, which used to be accessed from the Rossmore Road overbridge.

Also, when the new Platforms 5 and 6 were constructed, most of Platform 4 was filled in (it having previously been the same length as Platform 3) to provide access to same.

dciuk

Digby & Sowton. Only has a single platform which I understand was built on the old Exmouth bound line (the line having been singled may years before Digby and Sowton opened). The long pathway from the Sowton entrance is also built over the old track bed and runs alongside the remaining line.

TheSel

I don't think anyone has mentioned Birkenhead Park.

Used to be two island platforms, but generally after 1938 (when through working between West Kirby / New Brighton and Liverpool was implemented) only the two 'centre' faces were used for through services. Then about 1971 services were "diverted" to the 'outside' faces, and the more southerly platform (West Kirby & New Brighton-bound) was widened, covering what was previously the 'centre' face of that platform and - in connection with a set of buffers and a concrete 'connection' between the two island platforms - a bay was created, the intention being for a Birkenhead Park - Liverpool Central shuttle service, which either never started or ran only briefly.

Subsequently, the 'connection' was removed, the northerly platform was taken out of use, and this erstwhile bay platform face became the Liverpool-bound platform. The northerly platform was then removed - no trace remains.

Here car M28385 leads a six car (2x503) formation into the Liverpool-bound platform in September 1983. The doors will be opened only to the platform face on which I am standing - the other island platform by this point being extant but out of use.

1605541047965.png

Below, a Wikipedia link that includes a photo of the signal box (visible extreme left of my photo above). Comparison of the two images shows the widening of the platform across the former running line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birkenhead_Park_railway_station

oddiesjack

Dinting:

Originally, the Glossop branch was only accessible from the Hadfield direction, and the original route was through what became Dinting shed. When the third side of the triangle was built (ie from Godley direct to Glossop, the Hadfield- Glossop line was diverted away from the station itself, and the new Glossop branch platforms were built across (at right angles) where the old hadfield route used to be. This is checkable on old-maps.co.uk

trebor79

Established Member
What about Durham where the up platform was widened over the running line to ease the curve?
A shame the canopy was replaced with the monstrous carbuncle that remains to this day at the same time.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What about Durham where the up platform was widened over the running line to ease the curve?
A shame the canopy was replaced with the monstrous carbuncle that remains to this day at the same time.
I asked in post #34 a couple of months back, someone replied in post #72, then there’s a few more replies... But in any case it turns out only a very small part of the up platform was actually built out, the majority is where it always was.

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Dinting:

Originally, the Glossop branch was only accessible from the Hadfield direction...
Interesting. Done that route many a time, wasn't previously aware that the West to South curve at Dinting hadn't been put in until c. 1884 (almost 40 years after the Glossop branch had opened) thus allowing direct running thereafter between Manchester and Glossop.

trebor79

Established Member
I asked in post #34 a couple of months back, someone replied in post #72, then there’s a few more replies... But in any case it turns out only a very small part of the up platform was actually built out, the majority is where it always was.
Sorry must have missed that. I've often wondered why it meant the canopy had to be sacrificed. I can only assume the middle was built out but the ends chopped back to end up with a lower radius curve. I suppose that would have left the canopy fouling to loading guage.

Apologies if I've missed it from a quick read through, but surely there must be a number of platforms at Manchester Victoria built on former running lines.

North of the platform which connected it to Manchester Exchange, beyond that platform line were two through lines for trains in the Exchange - Stalybridge corridor and possibly a siding for Miles Platting banking engines before the track serving the next Victoria platform was reached. So isn't there now an island platform where the ex LNWR eastbound through, the banking engine line (if there was one - I can't remember which line they were stabled on without doing some digging) and the next ex L&Y platform line were?

Llama

Established Member
Yes that's right - the 'Wallside siding' and the through lines were roughly where platforms 4 & 5 stand now. The current fast lines (serving platforms 5 & 6) are where platform 12/13 island would have been up til 1993 so Manchester Victoria not only has platforms where running lines were, but running lines where platforms were.
That's ignoring the Metrolink corner of the station too.

Kirkham and Wesham new up platform is where the old down fast line used to be until late 2017.

ijmad

Established Member
NYC Subway has just abandoned track 3 on the 42nd Street Shuttle line - platform is going to be built over it.

Ya never said GB!

Status
Not open for further replies.