• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations where a platform has been built on the actual site of a ex running line (e.g. fom previous rationalisation/singling)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unixman

Welshpool ? When the bypass was built the running lines were moved and a new platform built.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
Welshpool ? When the bypass was built the running lines were moved and a new platform built.

The new station may be on former sidings, but I thought the bypass or a car park is on the former running lines through the station.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Waterloo. That old connecting line to Waterloo East was taken away right?
Plymouth. Those old platforms closest to the concourse were split up.
Yes, it went a short time ago (1910ish?)! Despite that, platform indicators there still sometimes tell us that "the next train is not scheduled to call at this station"!

Gone by 1911, according to previous discussions. The present buildings, track and platform layout date from completion of a 20 year rebuild in 1922, then there were some more minor alterations to platform widths in the area of the cab road prior to the Eurostar platforms being built.

I think it’s possible to go back a little too far with these questions, it’s now almost impossible to visualise where the through route to Waterloo East would have gone.
Not really - it simply aligned with the disused bridge opposite the concourse.

plugwash

Established Member
Platform indicators sometimes seem to often say the next train is not scheduled to stop, even if that makes no sense for the platform in question, I have seen it plenty of times on the bay platforms at Manchester Piccadilly. I presume this is some quirk of how the data feeds are translated.

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
Angel - the ertstwhile island platform became too narrow for the rapid increase in traffic in the 1990s and it was extended over a previous running line to become a single face and a new tunnel alignment was built alongside. A similar thing had happened in the late 1960s at Euston (City branch) to accommodate the Victoria line there.

steamybrian

Established Member
Polegate- the present station opened in 1986 was built on the site of running lines/sidings

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
[…]
Not really - it simply aligned with the disused bridge opposite the concourse.
Yes, what I probably really meant was that there is absolutely no evidence of the route if looking at the main station building from the current barrier line.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Epsom Downs - the new single platform station is closer to Sutton (hidden away in a small housing estate) and I think is partly on the track-bed of the approaches to the old, bigger station.

Yes, what I probably really meant was that there is absolutely no evidence of the route if looking at the main station building from the current barrier line.
With you - quite right.

DM352

Kilmaurs station outside Kilmarnock was reopened by BR around 84 but the platform looks built on the northbound trackbed.

If the station ever needed redoubling like other parts of the line have been between Gretna and outside Glasgow, it would make require a rebuild like Thame and Haddenham due to nearby bridges/housing.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Angel - the ertstwhile island platform became too narrow for the rapid increase in traffic in the 1990s and it was extended over a previous running line to become a single face and a new tunnel alignment was built alongside. A similar thing had happened in the late 1960s at Euston (City branch) to accommodate the Victoria line there.
London Bridge Northern Line platforms are slightly different as the circulating tunnel between them used to be one of the running tunnels. The Bank rebuild will do something similar.

AJS90

Cannock. At the northern end of the up platform you can see the remains of the old platform in the gap between the current platform and the ramp. At some point between the old station closing in 1965 and the current one opening in 1989 the embankment was rebuilt, presumably when the road bridge was rebuilt. The current platform is where the track used to be.

Tame Bridge Parkway. Both platforms are built on old goods loops at the southern end of Bescot freight yard. These were cut short when the station was built.

tomwills98

Cardiff Central. There used to be a platform 5, a bay platform at the west end of platforms 3 and 4 which is now filled in.

marsker

At Redcar Central the down line used to run through the station building. It was realigned about 20 years ago (maybe more) to run outside of it and a new platform built over the former alignment. The station building was turned into a sort of business centre but is sadly now rather derelict, but the council is seeking to revive it.

My mistake - been a while since I had any dealings with that station. Am I still correct in my thinking that the platforms remained as there were during the electrification changes, and the Masts are on the former trackbed of the old Down Main?
Down the years Durham has a couple of realignments. Back in the early 1960s, the limit through the station and onto the viaduct was 30 mph. It was realigned to 50 and later 75. The Down main was removed and, as stated, is now where the pasts are, the up main became the down main and the up line was slewed to run through the platform. In the earlier realignment I think that the up platform may have been cut back slightly, certainly the up bays were removed at that time/

Last edited:

Springs Branch

Established Member
Putting a twist on the OP's question, making it into "stations where a running line has been built on the actual site of a platform" - at Wigan North Western, in the early 1970s, today's Down Passenger Loop/ Platform 6 was built through the middle of the original island platform, linking historic north and south-facing bay platforms.

camflyer

Newmarket. The "new" platform is clearly built on what used to be a running line.

steamybrian

Established Member
Newmarket. The "new" platform is clearly built on what used to be a running line.

I thought the "present station" is the truncated platform of the original station which can be seen in the background of the photo.?

Class 170101

Established Member
South Kensington used to be a four platform station now one ultra wide island platform station.

steamybrian

Established Member
Porthmadog Harbour
New platform for Welsh Highland Railway trains was built on the original alignment of the Ffestiniog Railway line. The FR line and sidings were moved towards the sea with the causeway being widened to accommodate.

Blaenau Festiniog -Ffestiniog Railway station was built on former sidings. The National Rail platform was built across former Duffws branch junction

AlbertBeale

Established Member
South Kensington used to be a four platform station now one ultra wide island platform station.

Gloucester Road too - went from 4 platforms to 3 (not to 2 like South Ken). The island platform for all eastbounds, and for Circle westbounds [though I think it can deal with westbound Districts, and occasionally does?] must be covering up what used to be the westbound Circle track. Both these station changes stem from years ago when they stopped having the District and Circle routes branching from one another east of South Ken and running through those 2 stations as separated pairs of tracks - the old layout caused westbound backlogs on the trunk section because of the conflicting movements between westbound Circles and eastbound Districts.

Class 170101

Established Member
Gloucester Road too - went from 4 platforms to 3 (not to 2 like South Ken). The island platform for all eastbounds, and for Circle westbounds [though I think it can deal with westbound Districts, and occasionally does?] must be covering up what used to be the westbound Circle track. Both these station changes stem from years ago when they stopped having the District and Circle routes branching from one another east of South Ken and running through those 2 stations as separated pairs of tracks - the old layout caused westbound backlogs on the trunk section because of the conflicting movements between westbound Circles and eastbound Districts.

Accoding to a London Underground book I've seen it was adjusted in 1957 because non-stopping Tube Trains was still in vogue then. From 1969 it became the layout we have today apparently because non-stopping was no more (except the Metropolitan Line)

chiltern trev

One of the Stations on the Chiltern line had this for a similar reason. The station name escapes me though, Haddenham and Thame?

Haddenham and Thame is correct.

Denham northbound. Original platform started leaning away from the lines so a new northbound built on the site of the former northbound fast line.

Gerrards Cross southbound. Buildings retained with a new short build out in front (on the site of the platform line) and a new southbound platform built on the site of the former southbound fast line and the southbound line slewed onto the site of the former northbound fast. The western end of the original southbound platform became cycle racks and car park. The eastern end dug out to become a landscape garden and embankment.

Last edited:

CJSwan

Platforms 1 and 20, and 10 also, in Edinburgh Waverley? Apologies if they’ve already been mentioned, did have a scan through but couldn’t see them.

Dstock7080

Established Member
South Kensington had 7 platform faces, 2 Circle, 2 District, middle bay, westbound side bay.
Gloucester Road too - went from 4 platforms to 3 (not to 2 like South Ken). The island platform for all eastbounds, and for Circle westbounds [though I think it can deal with westbound Districts, and occasionally does?]
Districts can no longer use pfm.2

Last edited:

David Goddard

Established Member
I thought the "present station" is the truncated platform of the original station which can be seen in the background of the photo.?
Correct. This is the end of the Bury bound platform of the "Second" station
Note that the "original" station was a little to the East, just before you go into Warren Hill tunnel

AlbertBeale

Established Member
South Kensington had 7 platform faces, 2 Circle, 2 District, middle bay, westbound side bay.

Districts can no longer use pfm.2

Thanks for the update. I seem to remember that westbound Districts sometimes used the same platform as the clockwise Circles off-peak or Sundays, or something like that. Your wording suggests not just that they don't any more but that it isn't physically possible - so what's the reason for the change in track connections? The old system was useful if you were coming from Notting Hill Gate, High St Ken, or suchlike, heading for Earls Court but with no District in sight, when it made sense to grab a Circle round to Gloucester Road where you could do a cross-platfom interchange to get a trunk District back to Earls Court; the times you could do that seemed to be during less frequent services, ir precisely when you might want to find a way of avoiding a long wait for a District from Edware Road. So it's a pity if that trick requires going up and down stairs at Gloucester Road now - cutting the chances of making a connection as well as being a general disincentive.

Marvin

Stourbridge Town, where the current platform is on the site of the old goods line.

Dudley Port has both a platform on the site of former running lines AND running lines on the site of former platforms.

The current platforms 2 and 3 at Birmingham Snow Hill are where the former platform lines were.

Birmingham New Street, given the scale of its 1960s rebuild, almost certainly qualifies as well.

steamybrian

Established Member
Were the two additional platforms at Rugby (Midland) station which were constructed around 2006/2007 built on former running lines?

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Abergele and Pensarn they extended the platform out to the mainline building over the loop for the stoppers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201009-141819_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201009-141819_Chrome.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 21
Status
Not open for further replies.