• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations where the code does not match the name

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewNo2

I was on a train through Bristol the other day, and realised I'd written down the station code for Bedminster as BDM instead of BMT. BDM is of course the station code for Bedford, despite the fact there's no M in it (I assume the M comes from Midland). This led me to wondering what other stations don't match their station code, eg where the name doesn't match *A*B*C*:

NR Code Station Name
AFK Ashford International
BAJ Baglan
BHC Balloch
BDM Bedford
BOC Bootle
BBS Bordesley
RBS British Steel Redcar
BSU Brunstane
BSV Buckshaw Parkway
CWD Creswell
DMG Dinas Rhondda
DOT Dunston
EBD Ebbsfleet International
ELW Eltham
EXG Exhibition Centre
GMG Garth (Bridgend)
BKQ Hamilton Square
HND Hanborough
HPQ Harwich International
HXX Heathrow Central
HAF Heathrow Terminal 4
HWV Heathrow Terminal 5
HHB Heysham Port
HOZ Howwood (Renfrewshire)
HNX Hunts Cross
JCH James Cook
KBX Kirby Cross
KSW Kirkby Stephen
LPG Llanfairpwll
LWR Llanrwst
CHX London Charing Cross
KGX London King's Cross
MIA Manchester Airport
MFT Mansfield
MHS Meadowhall
MES Melton
NWX New Cross
NXG New Cross Gate
BPC Penychain
PIZ Pickering
QPW Queens Park (London)
SRR Sarn
SIA Southend Airport
SAC St Albans
SNH St Helens Central
SIH St Helier
SAJ St Johns
SHC Streethouse
SQE Surrey Quays
WPE Wapping
WCX Wembley Stadium

A few of these are obvious - the Xs standing in for Cross for instance. But a few really confuse me. Why is there a K in Ashford? Why the B in Pen-y-chain? What the pacer is going on with Hamilton Square's BKQ?

Does anyone know why?

As an aside, discounting places that start "London", this is a complete list of stations where the first letter of the code is not the first letter of the station:

NR Code Station Name
RBS British Steel Redcar
BKQ Hamilton Square
DBG Mottisfont & Dunbridge
FAM North Fambridge
BPC Penychain
WDF South Woodham Ferrers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Kirkby Stephen-Originally called Kirkby Stephen West

Buckshaw Parkway-intended to be called Buckshaw village but changed at the last minute

Bootle-to differentiate between Bootle (Merseyside)

Howwood- differentiate between How Wood (Herts?)

Heysham Port is Heysham Harbour depending on who you ask. (Boards at Leeds call it Harbour)

Waterloo (Merseyside) is WAM too.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
As you said, there are a few on that list that make sense:
BAJ Baglan - Phonetic
RBS British Steel Redcar - Redcar British Steel
HAF Heathrow Terminal 4 - Heathrow Four
HWV Heathrow Terminal 5 - Heathrow V (five)
MIA Manchester Airport - Manchester International Airport
SIA Southend Airport - Southend International Airport

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Ashford International, I assume the K is for Kent, probably predates the International part.

BKQ may seem odd for a station commonly referred to as Hamilton Square, but less odd when you remember the official (or at least traditional) name is Birkenhead Hamilton Square. Using 'Q' for "square" happens elsewhere too: Bradford Forster Square is BDQ.

Michael.Y

Established Member
The full name for Llanfairpwll may explain the G. There are quite a few.

GMG may refer to Garth MaesteG to differentiate it from Garth on HoWL.

One used a lot in the industry erroneously is BTM for Bristol Temple Meads - it's BRI.

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
BHC is presumably a hangover from the old days, when Balloch had two stations - Balloch Central and Balloch Pier. Pier station closed in 1986, and Central was relocated in 1988, with the new station simply being called "Balloch". I imagine the C relates to the now defunct Central name.

I'm assuming the G in EXG relates to Exhibition Centre (Glasgow).

JCH is James Cook Hospital, which IIRC was originally planned to be the name of the station.

As you've correctly surmised, the X is often used for Cross. In the case of Charing Cross, CHC could not be used as CHC is the code for Charing Cross (Glasgow).

BOC is Bootle (Cumbria), presumably to differentiate it from the two stations in Bootle in Merseyside (New Strand and Oriel Road).

More broadly, I imagine that the more unusual codes often relate to instances where the most sensible code(s) is/are already in use. For example, Dunston (DOT) is odd, but of course it can't use DUN (Dunbar), DNS (Dinas Powys), DNT (Dent), DST (Duke Street), or DTN (Denton) as these are already in use elsewhere. Although there are possible combinations for this one that could work (DUT, for example).

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Wembley Stadium was known as Wembley Complex when the codes were introduced in the 1980s, hence WCX.

AndrewR232

The recently opened station of Stow has the code SOI, probably because the more logical codes of STO, STW and SOW are used elsewhere.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The "St nnnnn" stations have the letters from "Saint" in their names, e.g. SAJ = SAint Johns

Some correspond to former names:
HPQ = Harwich Parkestone Quay
ELW = Eltham Well Hall
WCX = Wembley Complex
BDM = Bedford Midland
FAM = Fambridge
WDF = Woodham Ferrers

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As an aside, discounting places that start "London", this is a complete list of stations where the first letter of the code is not the first letter of the station:

NR Code Station Name
RBS British Steel Redcar
BKQ Hamilton Square
DBG Mottisfont & Dunbridge
RBS is from NR's full name for the station, Redcar British Steel
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/RBS/details.html
BKQ from NR's full name Birkenhead Hamilton S_Q_uare
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/bkq/details.html
DBG = was formerly just Dunbridge - perhaps they should have changed it to Dunbridge and Mottisfont...

Andyjs247

There's logic to most of them even if not immediately obvious.

AFK for Ashford International is presumably to indicate Ashford (Kent). To avoid confusion with the other Ashford between Staines and Feltham.

BPC for Penychain relates to the former Butlins (Pwllheli) Holiday Camp. Penychain is the closest station; I believe the camp is still there but no longer owned/operated by Butlins.

WCX for Wembley Stadium relates to the former name of Wembley Complex.

HPQ for Harwich International relates to the former name of Harwich Parkeston Quay.

HND for Handborough (the railway used to insist on putting a "d" where it does not exist any more in the village name - Long Hanborough).

thenorthern

Established Member
Burton-on-Trent is one that could be incorrect as is it for Burton upon Trent the official name of the town or Burton-on-Trent

Andyjs247

Guessing now that some of these refer to counties (possibly defunct in some cases).

DMG Dinas Rhondda would have been Dinas (Mid Glamorgan)

Similarly
GMG Garth (Bridgend) would have been Garth (Mid Glamorgan)

MES Melton would be Melton (Suffolk)

Established Member
DOT is Dunston on Tyne, which I believe the station was named before the station was reopened when the Tyne Valley services were diverted to use the King Edward Bridge and not go via Elswick.

Saint66

The station is also known as St Albans City.

Indeed, have heard it announced as such many times on services.

With the existence of St Albans Abbey, the station code of SAC is sensible imo, considering it's the actual station name anyway. :) (Plus we are a City, don't you know)

JaJaWa

Established Member
The station is also known as St Albans City.

First Capital Connect actually renamed the station from St Albans to St Albans City towards the end of their franchise; updating all the station name boards, announcements, and CIS displays. Apparently to stop people with Abbey tickets travelling via City.

EM2

Established Member
Ebbsfleet's code of EBD is a strange one. There's no D in the name anywhere, and there's a perfectly good EBF that could be used. Could the D be from Dartford?
Stratford International's code SFA is also a bit odd. There's an A in International, admittedly, but I assume SFA is simply to align it with Stratford's SRA?

TheNewNo2

Being involved with the Station Code Game for a number of years, I am surprised that no-one has mentioned the three NR station codes that begin with "Z":-

ZCW.....Canada Water
ZFD.....Farringdon
ZLW.....Whitechapel

You forgot ZMG for Moorgate. They changed a few years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.