• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: stations where the only route between platforms is via a level crossing only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I thought Corrour was an island platform. Thus, the route between platforms is by walking across the platform.

Fair point. Getting off the platform is a different matter, but I suppose that wasn’t the question.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ajs

Warblington, between Havant and Emsworth. When I use to use this for my daily commute, l had to ensure that l was across by 0715 for the train at 0729 as it was fairly common for the barriers to come down at 0715 for a train to Brighton, then stay down for a stone train to Chichester and after that had gone through for the barrier to stay down for the 0729 to Southampton.

As well as the occasional passenger vaulting the barriers there were also the car,van,lorry drivers who would speed up having rounded the bend before the crossing in an effort to get across before the barriers came down, to avoid a 14/15 minute hold up.

It is still not uncommon for traffic to be held up for a quarter of an hour or more at this crossing.

Even more frustrating, is when the barriers come down and many minutes later they go up, with no train having gone through.

td97

Established Member
Bromley Cross has a foot crossing only, controlled by the signaller, a problem when you had to get to the ticket office on the Bolton-bound platform but wanted to travel towards Blackburn as you had to cross the line twice.
Correct but not correct for the 'trivia'. There is an entrance to the Manchester-bound platform from Shady Lane. Therefore both platforms are accessible without needing to use the level crossing.

I have been stuck on the wrong side of a crossing at Bentley, though it’s already been mentioned. The barriers would come down for a delayed Doncaster stopper and stay down so I’d watch the Leeds stopper then come and go!

Wedgwood and Barlaston

Esker-pades

Established Member
Correct but not correct for the 'trivia'. There is an entrance to the Manchester-bound platform from Shady Lane. Therefore both platforms are accessible without needing to use the level crossing.
The trivia is about routes between platforms. How else does one move between platforms at Bromley Cross other than using the foot crossing?

td97

Established Member
The trivia is about routes between platforms. How else does one move between platforms at Bromley Cross other than using the foot crossing?
Walk down Chapeltown Rd, under the rail bridge and then up Shady Lane. Unlikely that anyone would take this 5-minute walk around, but the fact is it still exists.

geoffk

Established Member
Thanks for comments. I've been to Chathill twice, just for the ride, on the afternoon peak train. On both occasions I made sure I was on the right side of the line in good time for the return train and didn't spend too long wandering round what there is of the village. I've seen photos from the Deltic era which show a NER footbridge but I expect it was removed when the OHLE went up.

VT 390

Established Member
I have missed a service from Midgham before because the barriers were down for about 15 minutes.

caliwag

East Boldon (now only used by T&W Metro, but an NR crossing)
Barrier crossing, because it's on T + W metro it is down a lot, but the line is also used by 6+ freights and GC traffic from Sunderland servicing at Heaton and Pelaw...interesting ops. Funnily I mention it in the pub thread

Beemax

Southbourne in Sussex (and possibly some other stations between Emsworth and Chichester) Also Liss in Hampshire.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
The westbound platform at Ince & Elton is only accessible via a barrow crossing. This might cause problems in the unlikely event of third rail electrification ever being extended to Helsby.

Status
Not open for further replies.