• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: stations which "discriminate" against passengers holding e-Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Williams

Established Member
Using "discriminate" very loosely here but I'm interested in (National Rail) stations with gatelines where there is at least one gate that accommodates customers holding CCST (orange credit-card sized) tickets but not barcoded tickets (I don't really care about ITSO for this discussion), meaning customers selecting e-Tickets are limited to the number of gates they can use and have to queue to use a smaller subset of electronic gates.

I'll kick off with Marylebone - I believe there are a non-trivial number of gates on the left hand side as you leave with no barcode scanners, but all gates are capable of working with CCST magstripe tickets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lxfe_mxtterz

Got off the train at Battersea Park for the first time the other week (using an eTicket as I was in a rush and didn't have time to collect tickets at my outbound station). Was quite surprised to find that the gateline had no barcode scanners at all, and as such had to grab the attention of a member of staff to let me out.

Alex365Dash

I'm interested in (National Rail) stations with gatelines where there is at least one gate that accommodates customers holding CCST (orange credit-card sized) tickets but not barcoded tickets (I don't really care about ITSO for this discussion), meaning customers selecting e-Tickets are limited to the number of gates they can use and have to queue to use a smaller subset of electronic gates.
Got off the train at Battersea Park for the first time the other week
GTR tend to do this sort of thing quite a bit I've noticed - at Brighton I'd say roughly a quarter to a third of the gates are CCST/ITSO only, at smaller barriered stations along the West Coastway (about 2-4 gates) I tend to find the only barcode scanner is on the wide gate.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Harpenden on the car park side has a scanner only on the wide gate which is set to operate one way or the other. It was set to exit only and so I nearly missed my intended train due to having to wait for a member of staff to bother to answer the intercom. Very poor.

Domh245

Established Member
Wimbledon is quite bad for barcode readers if I remember rightly - certainly at the tramlink end it's just the wide gate that has them

miklcct

On Moderation
Clapham Junction - the northern gateline (platform 1 & 2) has a number of gates which don't have readers, or have out of use readers.

AJW12

Think Brighton has been the worst one, particularly in Summer when it's already very overcrowded. You see the platform announced for a service to/via the capital and then a massive crowd forms around the only barrier(s) that take the scanners.

I've almost always had problems with the barriers at Glasgow Central too with barcode tickets.

A Challenge

Established Member
I'm not sure how many readers there are, but it seemed some of the chaos when I was at St Pancras on Sunday was caused by issues with barcode tickets - not helped by putting up the platform for the late running 15:35 Nottingham for which the inbound hadn't arrived at about 15:25 before the departure of the 15:32 Sheffield, meaning people were trying to go through for both trains.

td97

Established Member
Manchester Victoria with its awful e-ticket scanners

Trackman

Established Member
Manchester Victoria with its awful e-ticket scanners
I would use stronger language, but that's not allowed on here.
I went there about a month ago for the first time in years, could it work? No.. Gate guy said 'we know' and laughed. .. 'try a few times more'
Plus such an odd place for a scanner too ...

Lewis10104

Last time I was there Haymarket only had QR code scanners on a couple of the barriers (ironically next to a poster promoting e-tickets)

Status
Not open for further replies.