• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations which merit name linkage to another place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clansman

Established Member
As the title says.

We have examples such as Glenrothes with Thornton, Dunkeld & Burnham, Dore & Totley, and at a push unofficial ones like Leuchars (for St Andrew's)

Where else would benefit from such town linkage when perhaps a station, say, is closely located with a town much larger or one as big or as important as the one it serves?

Gleneagles sticks out at me. Built to serve the hotel and golf course, yet is a stone throw from Auchterarder - a relatively large village and well known in Scotland, where I can guarantee at least half of Gleneagle's usage comes from outwith the golf season (as well as Blackford).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

railjock

As the title says.

We have examples such as Glenrothes with Thornton, Dunkeld & Burnham, Dore & Totley, and at a push unofficial ones like Leuchars (for St Andrew's)

Where else would benefit from such town linkage when perhaps a station, say, is closely located with a town much larger or one as big or as important as the one it serves?

Gleneagles sticks out at me. Built to serve the hotel and golf course, yet is a stone throw from Auchterarder - a relatively large village and well known in Scotland, where I can guarantee at least half of Gleneagle's usage comes from outwith the golf season (as well as Blackford).
Eskbank ( Alight here for Dalkeith and Bonnyrigg )??

herb21

Dalmeny (for South Queensferry) or more accurately South Queensferry (for Dalmeny)

Lemmy99uk

There’s a few on the Cumbrian coast.

Askam station is near enough on the border between the villages of Askam and Ireleth, but I don’t believe Ireleth has ever been in the station name.
Bootle station isn’t even in Bootle, it’s in the village (hamlet?) of Hycemoor and would be better called ‘Hycemoor for Bootle’.
Foxfield serves a pub and a couple of houses, but less than a mile away is the village of Broughton-in-Furness, that lost its railway station in 1958.

Quakers Yard

Quakers Yard station is in Edwardsville and you skirt the edges of Treharris to get to Quakers Yard itself...it's most southerly point being almost as close to Abercynon station than QYD itself. If Trelewis reopened in the metro that would be closer still to some parts of Quakers Yard! Back in the day the station in Treharris was even more central!

Quakers Yard

Llandaf used to be Llandaf for Whitchurch. Llandaf is in Llandaf North whilst Llandaf itself is near Waungron Park and Danescourt. Whitchurch still has a station however the old hospital and Velindre cancer centre are just as close to Coryton. It is better to get off at Llandaf and walk to Whitchurch itself than go up the city line.

Marvin

Not strictly speaking a town, but I've often thought that Rowley Regis should have "Blackheath" appended given that (a) that's where it actually is and (b) Blackheath is far and away the more significant local district.

PTR 444

Established Member
Plenty in the south that deserve the honour!

West Drayton & Yiewsley
Ashurst for Lyndhurst (remove New Forest from the name)
Moreton & Crossways
Upwey & Broadwey
Hanborough for Witney
Haddenham for Thame (remove Parkway from the name)
Kemble for Cirencester

Hassocks5489

My old home village of Hassocks is a railhead for the decent-sized villages of Hurstpierpoint (note spelling!) and Ditchling, which both generate plenty of commuter and tourist traffic.

Back in Connex South Central days, a big new sign - perhaps the modern-day equivalent of a running-in-board - appeared on the Down side, announcing that the station was "Hassocks for Hurstpier Point and Ditchling". Now, it has occasionally been known as "Hurst Pierpoint", but in all its thousand years Hurstpierpoint never had the space before the second "p"! The sign disappeared fairly quickly. Nevertheless, advertising Hassocks as being "for Hurstpierpoint and Ditchling" makes a lot of sense.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Croy merits being changed to either "Croy for North Cumbernauld" or even better just "Cumbernauld North".

Saperstein

Portslade station is actually in Hove.. just.

It was known as Portslade & West Hove up until the early? 1980’s.

Saperstein.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Up Holland station is in Pimbo village and NOT Up Holland.

Cannot think of any other stations given incorrect location names around my neck of the woods.

Someone mentioned Blackrod Station - this is borderline Blackrod/Horwich, the latter already has its own station next to the Bolton Wanderers ground (I don't even know the stadium name these days) - Horwich Parkway.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Ashwell & Morden is over two miles from both Ashwell and the nearest of the Mordens. It could be Odsey for Ashwell and the Mordens, Sandon and several other villages. Bit of a mouthful for the PIS mind you.

PsychoMouse

There are a few around me that are not in the area in their name and could do with a change.

Kings Norton (Cottridge)
Rowley Regis (Blackheath)
Sandwell and Dudley (Oldbury)
Berkswell (Balsall Common)

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Audley End might more accurately be described as Wendens Ambro (for Audley End House and Saffron Walden)

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
A bit of an historic one but Alfreton was for years known as "Alfreton and Mansfield Parkway" despite being around 8 miles from Mansfield!

Status
Not open for further replies.