• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations which merit name linkage to another place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordac

Established Member
There are a few around me that are not in the area in their name and could do with a change.

Kings Norton (Cottridge)
Rowley Regis (Blackheath)
Sandwell and Dudley (Oldbury)
Berkswell (Balsall Common)
It's Cotteridge, and the boards at the station to say "for Cotteridge," even if that's not the station's official name.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
St. Helens Junction is in Sutton Village (although the area around the station has adopted the name of the station.)
(As there are several other Suttons in UK, use of the name St. Helens Junction does at least avoid confusion with the other places called Sutton.)

Lea Green is in the Marshalls Cross part of Sutton (St. Helens).

Lemmy99uk

There are a few around me that are not in the area in their name and could do with a change.

Kings Norton (Cottridge)
Rowley Regis (Blackheath)
Sandwell and Dudley (Oldbury)
Berkswell (Balsall Common)

And when I started working for BR in the 80s, Sandwell & Dudley was called ......... Oldbury!

Waldgrun

Witley (Surrey) was originally Witley and Chiddingfold. Then Witley for Chiddingfold and then plain Witley! But it is to be noted that the station is in Wormley and also serves Hambledon, Brook and, Sandhills! Take your pick!

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
A few I remember from when I lived in the area:

Kearsney (for Temple Ewell & River) which was carried and dropped
Shepherds Well (for Eythorne)
Snowdown & Nonington (the Nonington was dropped)
Selling (for Boughton-under-Blean, or Chartham Hatch)

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Fulwell for (or and) Hampton Hill.

That's a good idea, as Fulwell is a bit nebulous as it has no recognisable centre, and Hampton Hill, which is a centre with a high street, is a five-minute walk down the road. Hampton station, the next one down the line, is nowhere near Hampton Hill, nor are Hampton Wick and Hampton Court stations. I've just looked at an old map, and the station is called Fulwell and Hampton Hill, so there is a precedent.

(At the risk of being cheeky, Hampton Hill is a misnomer, as it is about 10 feet higher than the surrounding area; even by Middlesex standards that's a bit optimistic as a hill.)

scrapy

Established Member
Someone mentioned Blackrod Station - this is borderline Blackrod/Horwich, the latter already has its own station next to the Bolton Wanderers ground (I don't even know the stadium name these days) - Horwich Parkway.
Yes but Blackrod station is within easy walking distance of Horwich town centre. Horwich Parkway isn't and only really serves the retail, leisure and industrial area it borders. Somebody travelling to the town of Horwich would be much closer at Blackrod. Would have been better calling Horwich Parkway, Middlebrook and then Blackrod, Blackrod and Horwich.

On the Tyne and Wear Metro, Jesmond should be South Jesmond. West Jesmond should be Jesmond Central. Ilford Road should be High West Jesmond. Seabird should be Fulwell (or Fulwell and Seaburn).

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Hampton Court station is on the wrong side of the river for the eponymous palace. East Molesey would be geographically more accurate, but would confuse tourists.

Marvin

And when I started working for BR in the 80s, Sandwell & Dudley was called ......... Oldbury!

The rename was because those two councils put up the funds for the station's rebuild. I for one think it's a renaming that has had it's day, and the station should go back to being Oldbury.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Hampton Court station is on the wrong side of the river for the eponymous palace. East Molesey would be geographically more accurate, but would confuse tourists.

Perhaps it should be East Molesley for Hampton Court.

it should be called Hampton Court, and (not in the powers of Network Rail) a bridgehead of land around the station should be taken from pernicious Surrey and annexed to Greater London, as Middlesex is now called.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
it should be called Hampton Court, and (not in the powers of Network Rail) a bridgehead of land around the station should be taken from pernicious Surrey and annexed to Greater London, as Middlesex is now called.
Hampton Court station is already in Zone six, and the postal addresses of the nearby buildings saying "Surrey" makes no difference to this, just as Kingston being where Surrey County Council offices are doesn't make it not London.

I say this as a former resident of West Molesey, which is definitely NOT London despite being served by London buses (Route 411).

rower40

Willington, at various times in its history, has been known as "Willington and Repton" and "Willington for Repton". Perhaps now more appropriately it could be "Willington for Toyota".

Mogz

Here's a few for the Wirral -

Neston (formerly Neston North) should really be 'Neston and Parkgate' given the latter, with its famous ice cream shops, is only a short walk away.

Upton should really be 'Noctorum for Upton' given it's nearer to the former.

Heswall should revert to its former name of Heswall Hills as it's nowhere near the town centre and doesn't even have a bus link to the town.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
On the other side of the coin, Stanlow & Thornton should drop the & Thornton and be renamed simply as Stanlow.

The station is a long way round to the hamlet of Thornton-le-Moors (about two miles) and requires passengers to pass some rather forbidding Private Road signs.

The University of Chester's Thornton Science Park is rather nearer, but there is no direct access from Oil Sites Road where the station is located. Students need to walk 1.25 miles around the various perimeter fences to access the campus.

Passengers from both locations will find Ince & Elton just as near without any of the access worries.

mrd269697

Here's a few for the Wirral -

Neston (formerly Neston North) should really be 'Neston and Parkgate' given the latter, with its famous ice cream shops, is only a short walk away.

Upton should really be 'Noctorum for Upton' given it's nearer to the former.

Heswall should revert to its former name of Heswall Hills as it's nowhere near the town centre and doesn't even have a bus link to the town.

I always found it odd why it used to be called Heswall Hills. It is an extremely flat area. I knew there was another Heswall station, but that meant it could be called ‘Heswall East’ or ‘Heswall for Barnston’ I think the station is actually in Barnston to be honest.

There is a bus link currently, an hourly Monday-Saturday merseytravel funded service, the 73.

However the bus links are far worse around the station than they were, which may have something to do with Heswall’s dramatic passenger usage increase from about 55,000 to 91,000 between 17/18 and 18/19.

Status
Not open for further replies.