• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations with 4 or more platforms, but under 1 million entries/exits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Stations with 4 or more platforms, but under 1 million entries/exits

At first glance I thought this thread was about stations with hundreds of thousands of ways in and out. ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
Springburn in Glasgow has 400k. Not sure one of the platforms is ever used, though.

Littlehampton hovers very fractionally under the million. Surprised to see Bognor is busier, as Littlehampton is definitely a nicer place!

Journeyman

Established Member
Hadley Wood gets 400k, but it sounds like the middle platforms are rarely used, so might not count.

Journeyman

Established Member
Horsted Keynes! 5 platforms, although only 4 tracks. No figures, of course, because it's not a National Rail station, but it's got to be less than a million. Does that count?

Journeyman

Established Member
They are not timetabled to be used, but are fully useable. Same applies to Knebworth, though Knebworth’s fast line platforms do see more use.

Fair enough, we'll count that. A lot of 4 platform stations have derelict and inaccessible islands.

Metal_gee_man

I can only think of one in SouthEastern land, and that's Bickley 921,000 every other station is hugely busier when 4 platforms are involved

MotCO

Established Member
Elmstead Woods and Chislehurst both come in slightly higher than 1m at 1.2m each, which I thought was surprisingly low - Petts Wood is around 2m.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Kilwinning was on about 950k within the last decade but has crept up to just over a million within the last few years.

Kilmarnock however is still on about 600k a year and like Kilwinning its four platforms are all regularly used.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
If you’re talking about Earlswood in Surrey, Wikipedia says the fast line platforms were closed in the 1980s.
If I rightly recall, the old fast line platforms at Earlswood used to be festooned with fading "Do not alight here" signage, this in the days of slam door stock still being in use on the Brighton Main Line (and the occasional service being signal checked when passing through the station).

Status
Not open for further replies.