• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations With A Small Number Of Terminating Services (But *Not* Zero)

Status
Not open for further replies.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Llandudno Junction ussually has a handful of terminating services each week although I am not sure there are any in the current timetable. Its the end of the new signalling system, late services past it depend on the business case for keeping signal boxes open for longer.
The number of services terminating at the Junction goes up a bit when you remember the ~hourly shuttles to Llandudno town, though, and the early morning Conwy Valley services.

Just down the line, Bangor currently has 1 terminating train per day: a VT evening service that turns back and heads for Birmingham. There'll be a lot more after TfW's 2022 timetable recast, with hourly Bangor-Manchester services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Southend Airport has one terminator at 05.17 from Liverpool St and one starter at 23.59 to Liverpool St.

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Another one - there used to be an out and back Inverness-Keith Saturdays Excepted in the late morning, with the engineering closure, I'm not sure if it still exists either.

cuccir

Established Member
Maryport is similar to the above: it has two terminating services a week on a Saturday night arriving at 21:28 (from Barrow) and 22:36 (from Whitehaven).

Saperstein

Lewes in Sussex on the East Coastway line is mainly through traffic but has some terminators from Brighton.

Also ISTR that there is/was a small number of terminators at Falmer on match days?

Saperstein.

John C

This is probably a bit of a wildcard but Birmingham Moor Street, in view of the large number of trains passing through the station in a 24 hour weekday only about 16 services start/terminate here.

Monty

Established Member
Fareham, have at least one service that terminates in the bay platform in the evening.

Clip

Established Member
Three starters in the morning, three terminators in the evening. There's an exit from Ramsgate depot facing Broadstairs which makes it easier (saves doing a double shunt at Ramsgate)

Didnt realise there were that many

YorkshireBear

Established Member
There is one train a week from Stalybridge to Stockport and back, does anything else terminate at stockport in regular service? (it's quite common to see trains late night trains from Manchester terminate at stockport during engineering works)

It never goes back so doesn't terminate at Stockport. It was mentioned up thread a few Chesters per day terminate at stockport.

td97

Established Member
Bolton has an ECS which terminates at Platform 2 and then runs in service to Manchester Victoria around 09:15.

JamesC357

Pitsea has a handful of trains that start/terminate there during the peaks, but not at any other times

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
OK, I feel sorry for Chathill which only has two services a day Monday - Saturday, both of which start and finish there, average number of passengers per train under 2.

But those trains represent 100% of the services at that station which is not what the OP wants:

...but are there any other stations that do have some terminating services but those terminating services are (say) less than 1% of the daily services at the station?

Killingworth

Established Member
But those trains represent 100% of the services at that station which is not what the OP wants:

Fair comment, but a few other responses haven't complied with the full terms of the question "less than 1% of daily services"

"................but are there any other stations that do have some terminating services but those terminating services are (say) less than 1% of the daily services at the station?"

Crossover

Established Member
I'll add:
Hebden Bridge - (a handful of starters and terminators. At least one (the evening GC unit) used to run in service both ways, but is now back to Northern units and goes empty to Huddersfield Sidings after the afternoon turn
Millom - most services run though, but there is an early morning starter and an couple of evening terminators (some of which go back south in service)

Wow... Did not know that. Didn't do so 2 yeses ago when I did. I must not be keeping up with the times!

Started in the May 2018 timetable change, then barely ran for 12 months on account of the strikes!

bionic

Lewisham has a couple of late night terminators which run up from Hayes, often fast Hayes - Lewisham. The reason for this is that Hayes is unstaffed and Lewisham is the first staffed station they get to where it can be locked out. Units then go empties to Grove Park depot via New Cross.

Jezza22

Birkenhead Central has 1 terminating train on a Monday - Friday, 2B02 0752 Chester to Birkenhead Central while Birkenhead North also has 1 terminating train on a Monday - Friday. 2B03 0807½ Chester to Birkenhead North

Sandhills gets 1 terminating train on a Sunday only being 2D01 2306 Hunts Cross to Sandhills

Revilo

Doesn't Blake Street have only one or two terminators from New Street?

Is Clarbeston Road the only station that is a request stop for some services yet also has some terminating services?

chefchenko

There is one train a week from Stalybridge to Stockport and back, does anything else terminate at stockport in regular service? (it's quite common to see trains late night trains from Manchester terminate at stockport during engineering works)
Last stopper from stoke terminates at Stockport instead of Piccadilly, I assume to go straight into the overnight sidings

Parallel

Established Member
Bath Spa has one in the late afternoon M-F that terminates from Bristol Parkway and avoids Bristol Temple Meads. It also has one that terminates from Westbury on Saturday mornings.

Machynlleth has a few terminating services, (mainly in the evening) with most running through to Shrewsbury or Birmingham International.

Thebaz

I was going to chime in with Sanderstead being a curious inverse - one starter per day (Mon-Fri) and no terminators! But I've just looked at the latest timetable and it has gone (shock horror.) Used to be the first train of the day Mon-Fri and was also the only all-stop to VIC. It was definitely still running last year but I guess they took it out when the new TL timetable took effect. Shame, it was a nice oddity. Back in the 70's and 80's Sanderstead starters and terminators would have been a regular thing when the Selsdon-Elmers End line was still open. Sorry I've gone on a bit there.

driver_m

Established Member
Presumably Wrexham General is one. With the VT service terminating there but most if not all others go through I think.

Saperstein

Presumably Wrexham General is one. With the VT service terminating there but most if not all others go through I think.

Also there is an early morning TfW service x-Chester (2F80), and an early evening x-Lime Street (1B01) that terminates there.

Apart from that and the VT service you mentioned, you are correct all others are through services (bar ECS).

Saperstein.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.