• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Stations with cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordac

Established Member
Simple as per the title. Include the cat's name if you know!

I'll start with Huddersfield with Felix and Bolt, as everyone surely knows by now, and more local to me, Stourbridge Junction with lovely orange tabby George!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

steamybrian

Established Member
For many years Tonbridge station used to have a very friendly station cat who was often seen meeting passengers on platform 3. The cat passed away a few years ago. A plaque has been erected and displayed marking his life. I am unsure if another cat has replaced him.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Andover station had a cat called Jess, although I've got no idea if the cat is still around as I've not used the station in a while.

hermit

As discussed on the Island Line Upgrade thread, Brading is (was) frequented by a well-known cat, though he or she lives in a neighbouring house rather than the station.
We are all hoping that the cat is being kept safely away from the extensive engineering works going on to reinstall the passing loop, and will deign to return once the station returns to its normal tranquillity.

Parallel

Established Member
There was one at Digby & Sowton that seemed to be sleeping at/walking around the station on a regular basis. I’ve not been on that line for a while so am not sure if it’s still there.

mrd269697

Paul at South Parkway. I’ve worked there plenty of times. He can be grumpy but he’s about as old as the station is, so is to be expected.

Julia

Awwhhh! Worth a visit just for the cat!

We had a tabby all the time I was commuting (2003-2015) - one that swanned around like he owned the place (typical cat then) and had a bad habit of sleeping in inconvenient places in the ticket office, or walking on keyboards while the morning shift were busy. That feels too long ago to be Sprout, although they look similar - but don't all tabbies look the same?

D6130

Established Member
Todmorden station had a ginger and white cat called Dinky who used to live in the waiting room and had a bed next to the book-swap case on the window ledge. On warm sunny days he/she would stretch out on the platform - often dangerously close to the edge - but has now, sadly, passed away.

DustyBin

Established Member
Liverpool South Parkway

I’ve only been to the station once but sure enough the cat was there! It was loitering around the ticket barriers, it was quite surreal actually!

I’ve frequently seen a cat on platform 1 at Ladywell, usually stalking pigeons.... It may well come from one of the adjacent houses though so I’m not sure it counts.

According to the Gloucester Citizen, the cat at Gloucester Eastgate on closure at the end of 1975 was called Dinky. It moved to Central with the staff.

Kite159

Veteran Member
One small update is that the station cat at Andover (Jess) had to be put down due to cancer :(

Better link to the advert free BBC rather than the local newspaper site.

Tributes have been paid to a much-loved cat who lived at a railway station.

Jess, who was looked after by staff at Andover station in Hampshire after his owner abandoned him, passed away earlier this week.

Originally thought to be female, the black and white cat was named Jessica by staff when he first began visiting the area 13 years ago.

On a sign posted in the station, employees wrote the 19-year-old feline would be "sorely missed".

Jess was a black and white "tuxedo" cat
Described as "gentle" and "loving" by staff, Jess spent most of his time roaming the platforms, keeping passengers company whilst they waited for the next stage of their journey.

Tracey Jones, one of the workers who took care of Jess, said it would not be the same without him.

"I'm devastated that I've lost him. Everyone from the community is just as upset and we've had such a massive amount of messages and support from everyone - it's amazing how much of an impact he had on so many people," she said.

Ms Jones said Jess' owners moved from their house across from the station and left him behind
In a sign posted at the station, employees wrote:

"It is with a heavy heart that we must share the sad news that our beloved Jess (the station cat) at Andover has passed away.

"Jess is going to be sorely missed by all the staff, regular passengers, and the local community that Jess had such a big impact on.

"We believe Jess reached the ripe old age of 19 and was well loved and cared for by Tracey and Chris in the ticket office as well as all the other staff members who had the pleasure of working in the ticket office alongside Jess.

"Our thoughts are with everyone who is affected by the loss of Jess."

South Western Railway said the station would be discussing a way to commemorate

Sorry if that was the update Andy was going to post.

Last edited:

Western 52

Years ago I heard the story somewhere about the Inter-City Kitty. Based I think at Crewe, but often seen on trains? Anyone know more?

RetroCrowe

The only 'station cat' I've seen in person is the one at Hopton Heath station on the Heart of Wales line. I believe the cat belongs to the residents of the station house but I'd say it counts as a station cat given how the station feels so much like a private platform just for the people living in the station house, with the garden having a gate backing onto the platform and nobody else every really using it

Status
Not open for further replies.