• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia:- stations with fewest passing passenger carrying trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
there must be a large number where the answer is zero...........

Indeed, loads of stations where all passenger trains stop there, even non-terminus stations.

Presuming the question only includes those stations where at least some passenger trains skip the station, I think Helsby must be a contender. I think all services stop there in the winter, while in the summer there's a Saturday only Chester to Runcorn service in one direction only which misses out Helsby so that'll make an average of less than 0.5 services per week skipping Helsby.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Darlington. 1 per day Mon-Fri (05:40 Edinburgh-London King's Cross - 1E01) and 1 per day Sun (11:47 Aberdeen-London King's Cross - 1E19).

They don't go through the station, though.

TPE have a few that miss the stop but don't use the avoiding lines either. Not sure what the point of it is tbh.

York has one a day, Shipley has one a day, Frizinghall has two a day as does Bingley. MetroCentre used to have one a day but no longer.

DanTrain

:lol: Well that's end of thread then :lol: Bravo!

Why would a Metro skip such a key stop on a Sunday morning? I'd guess pathing but even then surprising that it's needed and that that's the one they skip

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y56825/2018/05/13/advanced

This is all-in-all a bizarre service. It’s the counterpart to the Sheffield to Carlisle in the morning, where someone decided it would be a great idea to bolt a Notts-Leeds onto a Leeds-Carlisle for no good reason once each way on a Sunday!

It appears to run via Westgate for route retention, it doesn’t usually call there, and indeed calls at Kirkgate as normal, so not a missed stop as much as a different route.

DanNCL

Established Member
Heworth - Just the daily VTEC service to Sunderland passes through without stopping

Seaham, Seaton Carew, Billingham, Stockton and Yarm - only the GC Sunderland services pass through without stopping

Bovverboy

Established Member
I was going to say Stockport, but having checked there's eight, which is more than I thought. Likewise Oxford Road but that had thirteen. Wilmslow fares slightly better with just five, and my station New Mills Central has two (one early morning TPE from Sheffield to the Airport with a late night return) but the local winner that I can see from a quick glance is Manchester Victoria, with just the 0444 York to Manchester Airport service passing through without calling.

There doesn't appear to be a 0444 York to Manchester Airport at the moment, I don't know how long this situation has prevailed. Most nights two TPEs pass through Victoria without stopping - 1P02 0038 Manchester Airport to York, and 1P04 0422 Manchester Airport to Newcastle. Some nights there can be more than this.

Parallel

Established Member
Sandplace, St Keyne and Causeland all have a stop missed on an afternoon train on the Looe branch, presumably to get the train to Liskeard a few minutes earlier.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Nothing in service scheduled to pass Denton or Reddish South without calling AFAIK, as well as just the infamous once-a-week service that does call.

Kite159

Veteran Member
One train a week skips Andover, the Sunday only 1L67 20:45 Waterloo - Salisbury which runs fast from Clapham to Salisbury.

Unless XC services get diverted via Laverstock due to engineering works between Basingstoke & Southampton

45rpm

A couple of weeks ago I was on the 09:30 Edinburgh Waverley to Aberdeen which went non-stop through Inverkeithing & Kirkcaldy. Does anything else omit these stations?

Liskeard has 2 passes on summer Saturdays only. This is the daily Newquay to London Paddington in each direction.

Clansman

Established Member
Falkirk Grahamston and Stirling both have all but one service stopping; the Inverness Sleeper (n/b only) for the former, and a peak time Glasgow to Aberdeen service for the latter.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Aberdeen to Inverness? Don't all services stop at every station?

pemma

Veteran Member
Nothing in service scheduled to pass Denton or Reddish South without calling AFAIK, as well as just the infamous once-a-week service that does call.

Normally it's just that train plus some ECS movements. However, on occasions when there's engineering works between Stockport and Manchester it's been known for services from Hazel Grove/Buxton to run to Bolton and beyond via Denton and Victoria.

cuccir

Established Member
4 TPE serivces skip Darlington in the current timetable (Mon-Fri), 3 (Sat) and 2 (Sun). Interestingly, they all run northbound except one every Sunday.

This is part of a slightly odd service pattern: the majority of Manchester Airport - Newcastle services, (re)introduced in a limited form last year, call northbound at Durham and Southbound at Darlington. I presume that the paths are tight in both directions but the decision is an odd one! When the service goes hourly next week they seem to be reverting to a more systematic approach of them all calling at Durham, with the few noted skipping Darlington for some reason (I presume for pathing reasons).

kieron

Established Member
Except that train that zooms by twice a day (once in each direction) right alongside... does that count? :D
Sorry, I'm probably a bit too used to looking at things from a "what do ticket sites thing" perspective, which can sometimes be a bit arbitrary.

That said, you can't send a passing train through the station, like you can with somewhere like Darlington, And I haven't been to the station, but I don't get the impression from pictures of it that that line would seem like a part of the station, with the height difference and the trees in between. Maybe it does, though.
And apologies I was unclear, I meant the few that get sent that way regularly (for driver knowledge, I assume?) instead of along the main line - three of them each Sunday according to RTT
Sorry, yes, that's different.
Presuming the question only includes those stations where at least some passenger trains skip the station, I think Helsby must be a contender. I think all services stop there in the winter, while in the summer there's a Saturday only Chester to Runcorn service in one direction only which misses out Helsby so that'll make an average of less than 0.5 services per week skipping Helsby.
Thanks. It's 16 trains in total this year, less whatever is lost to engineering works. I think they were supposed to start a more frequent service in December (which would call at Helsby), but I don't know if that's still the hope.

Thebaz

Fairly sure (without checking) Hurst Green has 1 passing train per day in the up direction.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Fairly sure (without checking) Hurst Green has 1 passing train per day in the up direction.

A quick look at RTT and it shows two passing trains, 05:16 Uckfield - London, 22:54 East Grinstead - Victoria

(Why did I think it was more with some of the diesels not calling there?)

A Challenge

Established Member
Wokingham, the last train on the North Downs southbound on Fridays only, so one train per week in one direction only

gazr

Up until yesterday, Queens Road Peckham had a whole 3 trains pass non-stop... now down to zero. The 3 trains in question where the evening South Bermondsey terminators/starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.