• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations with more platforms than they need for regular service

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeijingDave

Sorry if this has been done before but...

Stirling (I appreciate some may be used for stabling) - 9 last time I counted.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
Sorry if this has been done before but...

Stirling (I appreciate some may be used for stabling) - 9 last time I counted.
Largs is always an odd one as platform 1 I believe hasn't been used in quite a few years but has been fully updated and maintained

A S Leib

Could Watford Junction manage with 2 or 3 platforms for the Overground services instead of 4, whilst Watford Met has 2 for the same (or higher during peak times) frequency?

snowball

Established Member
Blackpool North,
Was reduced from 8 to 6 as part of electrification (following previous reductions in past decades) but must still be more than needed.

Edit: a previous thread (now closed) here.

Clip

Established Member
Id say Blackpool North needs all 6 platforms - it has 4 departures an hour 5 with Avanti every couple of hours over a 2 track railway to preston -

thenorthern

Established Member
Seaside terminal stations seem to be somewhat known for this. Skegness springs to mind

paddy1

Nuneaton. Used to have five platforms but that was increased to seven when they binned the through Coventry to Nottingham service.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Mirfield and Marsden could both get away with two rather than three. In both cases, platform 3 is a later addition and the only step-free platform at the respective station. At Mirfield almost all westbound trains use P3 but at Marsden only a handful do so.

PGAT

Established Member
Norwood Junction. It has 3 southbound platforms, but only 2 northbound. It also has one with abandoned disused track, and another that shares the track with Platform 1.

NSE

Established Member
Depends how you look at it. So many stations have platforms on the fast lines that are never used. New Malden as a local example springs to mind. Including those will push your numbers up high for examples.

PGAT

Established Member
Depends how you look at it. So many stations have platforms on the fast lines that are never used. New Malden as a local example springs to mind. Including those will push your numbers up high for examples.
Another example is New Cross Gate

Doomotron

Margate - I have never seen P2 used, and the rails look rusty and plants are growing from it.

NSE

Established Member
Another example is New Cross Gate
Absolutely. I wouldn’t argue it’s unnecessary mind, but a lot of those platforms see only a handful of emergency stops per year.

Ken H

On Moderation
Does Ribblehead need 2? Do they ever have 2 trains in the station at the same time? Extend the singe track to south of the platforms. Get rid of a dodgy barrow crossing too.

TheBigD

Established Member
Seaside terminal stations seem to be somewhat known for this. Skegness springs to mind
Not sure what's still operational at Skeggy.
Platform 2 and 7 I'm pretty sure have been out of use for years. Not sure about 3/4/5/6 though.

DanNCL

Established Member
Newcastle doesn't have more platforms than it needs as such, but definitely has too many short bay platforms, and not enough platforms capable of taking an 80x unit.

BJames

Established Member
In terms of regular service I'd say Enfield Town. Platform 2 has been closed for ages following the accident, and service has been completely fine with 2 platforms, given it's only every 30 mins off peak and 15 mins peaks. It's useful for stabling over weekends if needed but otherwise it doesn't need 3. Until recently platform 3 was rarely used for passenger departures.

PGAT

Established Member
In terms of regular service I'd say Enfield Town. Platform 2 has been closed for ages following the accident, and service has been completely fine with 2 platforms, given it's only every 30 mins off peak and 15 mins peaks. It's useful for stabling over weekends if needed but otherwise it doesn't need 3. Until recently platform 3 was rarely used for passenger departures.
Same with Tattenham Corner

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Huddersfield doesn't need platform 5 for the foreseeable...

There's also the fast line platforms at Esher and Walton on Thames, although they're blocked off and disused so probably don't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.