• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations with only one platform on double track lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyW33

I don't think Loughborough ever had a third platform before the modern Ivanhoe service started, ie it was not 're-instated' - it previously only ever had platforms on the fasts. Open to correction though - I'm sure there has to be on MR expert in here who will know.

As a Loughborough resident I can confirm you're right, except that before the brand new Platform 3 opened today's slow lines were the goods lines, and didn't normally carry passenger traffic at all and the "fasts" were the passenger lines.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Strathclyder

Established Member
Does Corkerhill count?

Only one platform (the former southbound platform) is used for trains to/from Glasgow Central. The westbound platform (albeit overgrown) and it's tracks are still in place, although they're only used as a headshunt for empty stock workings needing to change ends when coming in/out of Corkerhill Depot.

Last edited:

railnerd

Hi.
Slightly tenuous, but Spalding has an up and down platform, but since they removed the foot crossing, most down train cross over to use the up platform. I think theres only one time when times conflict to use both platforms.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Hartlepool has a bay as well. Not used except on Sunday I think.

Last time I went to Hartlepool there were Q6s on the shed, so don't honestly remember much - but it was a "proper" station at that time, I'd have thought?

ie with at least two platforms.

I have no idea when it closed, but wasn't there a branch across Durham via Thornley too? Presumably it had bays for that?

Marton

Last time I went to Hartlepool there were Q6s on the shed, so don't honestly remember much - but it was a "proper" station at that time, I'd have thought?

I have no idea when it closed, but wasn't there a branch across Durham via Thornley too? Presumably it had bays for that?

The southbound platform has a running line through r it and is there but covered in gravel / chippings. All through trains use platform 2. Crossing over outside the station if southbound.

Quite why Hartlepool has a Sunday Only service from Darlington is one of those mysteries in life.

thenorthern

Established Member
Has anyone mentioned Chesterfield yet? Although it has 2 through platforms the Platform 3 is a strange on as it is on one side of the passing freight line and irregularly used.

unlevel42

As a Loughborough resident I can confirm you're right, except that before the brand new Platform 3 opened today's slow lines were the goods lines, and didn't normally carry passenger traffic at all and the "fasts" were the passenger lines.

Wednesday 29th December 2010.
Before the new platforms were built I caught an early Derby-London train which arrived on P2 after a Nottingham-Norwich train had arrived on platform 3. The London train departed first.

The connection was too close to appear in the timetable.

34D

Established Member
I don't think Loughborough ever had a third platform before the modern Ivanhoe service started, ie it was not 're-instated' - it previously only ever had platforms on the fasts. Open to correction though - I'm sure there has to be on MR expert in here who will know.

Is the ivanhoe line not the name given to the proposed leicester-coalville-burton service?

markindurham

Yes, there was a line through Coxhoe Bridge to Ferryhill. This was truncated in later years, when it served the quarry at Raisby & the colliery near Kelloe from the Ferryhill end. Some rails can still be seen near West Cornforth, despite the efforts of 'metal fairies'... In addition, the present 'Hartlepool' station was originally 'West Hartlepool'; there was a shuttle service to 'Hartlepool', which is on the Headland. Traces of this can still be seen.

kjhskj75

Would Limerick Junction qualify?

No, firstly there are additional bays around the back, and secondly the main "platform" is actually two on separate tracks. It's not like at Cambridge where a very long train could occupy both.

iain-j

Newcraighall - The twin tracks carry on towards Niddrie West junction in one direction and Millerhill in the other. The route the passenger trains take is towards Portobello Junction that goes through the single track part of the Niddrie Junction triangle.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Is the ivanhoe line not the name given to the proposed leicester-coalville-burton service?

I have no idea what that might be called.

But East Midlands Trains think the Ivanhoe line is the stopping service between Leicester and Nottingham.

Railsigns

Established Member
No, firstly there are additional bays around the back, and secondly the main "platform" is actually two on separate tracks.

The second part is no longer the case. The main platform is served by one continuous track on one side.

Timster83

Some of the stations south of Glasgow Central (Cathcart Circle stations) have double tracks with only one platform in the middle of the tracks.

Such as Pollokshields East, Queens Park, Crosshill, Mt. Florida, Cathcart, Muirend (and a few others).

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Some of the stations south of Glasgow Central (Cathcart Circle stations) have double tracks with only one platform in the middle of the tracks.

Such as Pollokshields East, Queens Park, Crosshill, Mt. Florida, Cathcart, Muirend (and a few others).

These type of lay outs can be found at many stations north of the Clyde and far all over the system, Abercynon to name just one.. These stations have 2 Platform faces. What the OP was suggesting was stations with Double track with only 1 Platform FACE.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Barbican mainline was like that I think until it closed in 2009.

Barbican has four platform faces, two on the Underground and two on the (now lifted) national rail tracks. It wasn't served in one direction (I forget which) because the platform was too short for 8-car trains.

tsr

Established Member
Earlswood has only 2 operational platforms, despite one of those being on an island shared with a disused platform which is only separated by a (pretty modest) metal fence. The disused platforms are on the Up & Down Fast, the one on the island being on the Up Fast. The Down Fast platform still looks quite a lot like a platform, but just... isn't. It's completely derelict. This being despite a local effort - actually featured on these forums a few months back - for reopening them.

Established Member
I have no idea what that might be called.

But East Midlands Trains think the Ivanhoe line is the stopping service between Leicester and Nottingham.

Loughborough - Leicester was Ivanhoe Line Phase 1, and station signs at Syston, Sileby and Barrow have the Ivanhoe logo reflecting this. Phase 2 would have included Leicester - Burton and onto Derby, hence Willington had the Ivanhoe logo and signage, although I'm not sure if it still does.

glbotu

Barbican has four platform faces, two on the Underground and two on the (now lifted) national rail tracks. It wasn't served in one direction (I forget which) because the platform was too short for 8-car trains.

It was Down trains. I thought it was because the platform was too narrow. Basically, if it had been open, it would have been packed to the rafters and it was better to send passengers one stop along the Metropolitan to Farringdon (or make them walk) as it would have been dangerous.

backontrack

Established Member
Georgemas Junction. Second platform and footbridge were removed recently to make way for new railhead serving Dounreay.

Status
Not open for further replies.