• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations with the same name in other countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
The Metro lines around Brisbane Austrailia has some stations with English names. eg:-
Ipswich
Ebbw Vale
Ascot
Kingston
Salisbury

The Massachusetts Bay Transport Authority Subway has a couple-
Beaconsfield
Braintree
Warren Street
Wellington

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

b0b

Established Member
Reston, its a station on the Washington DC WMATA Silver Line. Beat that obscurity. :)

Also there's a Elgin and Cheltenham station on the Chicago Metra

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
A couple of near ones from Sweden: Nykvarn translates as New Mill, unfortunately singular. Insjön means The Lake: definite, but singular. There is also Dingle.

XAM2175

Established Member
There's an Epping station in Australia as well as on LU
There are in fact two - one in Sydney and one in Melbourne.

It feels like a cheating a bit given how many names from "home" were re-used in Australia, but here's a pile of direct matches anyway:
Melbourne Suburban:
Hampton
Armadale
Seaford
Berwick
South Kensington
Newport
St Albans
Sunbury
Newmarket
Brunswick
Fairfield
Eltham
Preston
Richmond
Chatham
Blackburn
Upwey

Victoria outside Melbourne:
Huntly
Epsom
Melton
Winchelsea
Broadford
Sale
Stratford

Sydney Suburban:
Richmond
Kingswood
Fairfield
Guildford
Padstow
Ashfield
Lewisham
Stanmore
Newtown
Sydenham
St Peters
Carlton
Kings Cross

Sydney Intercity:
Aberdeen
High Street
Hexham
Newcastle (recently converted to light rail, though)
Scarborough
Blackheath

NSW Regional
Gloucester
Tamworth
Wellington

There are more on the Brisbane, Adelaide, and Perth suburban systems but I need a break now :E

birchesgreen

Established Member
There is a University MTR station in HK.

Plus one called Jordan (maybe named after the same one in Seer Green & Jordans - probably not :p)

There's an Ilford and a Wivenhoe in the wilds of northern Manitoba -- see pp. 31 and 32 (the 18th and 19th pages of the pdf) at https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/schedules/VIARail_Timetable_TEMP.pdf. There's a request stop called Dyce on the same line. Elsewhere on VIA Rail you find Chatham, Chelmsford, Esher, Grimsby, Kingston, Malton, Stratford, Sudbury and Windsor, all in Ontario; Truro, Nova Scotia; and Dunster and Hope, BC. (London, Aldershot and Halifax have already been mentioned).

Caltrain in California has two, Belmont and Atherton

Not exact matches because of the suffixes, but there are two Amtrak stations in Stockton, California.

sw1ller

Established Member
My one is only about 70miles difference but there’s a Hope in Derbyshire and one in Flintshire too. Or does that not count?

duncanp

Established Member
On the Metrolink system in St Louis, Missouri, USA there is Shrewsbury, Swansea and Brentwood.

The Long Island Rail Road in New York has a Kew Gardens station

The Metro North Railroad terminates at Grand Central station, which is also a stop on the West Midlands metro.

The Brown Line of the Chicago subway has Montrose, Belmont and Southport

The METRA system in Chicago has Elgin

Amtrak has several examples - Rugby (North Dakota), Richmond (Virginia), Flint(Michigan), Lancaster (Pennsylvania), Temple(Texas), Rochester (New York), St Albans (Vermont) and Kirkwood (Missouri)

A lot of thes names reflect the fact that settlers from England, Scotland and Wales emigrated to the United States.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
When I lived in Malvern, Worcestershire, I had to look up Malvern (suburban Melbourne) while on a trip there, and I used the station on a visit a few years ago.
Doesn't have the same feel as our Malvern Link/Great Malvern though, and is in an urban area devoid of scenery.
On the first trip I also went to South Africa and found a Malvern on the Johannesburg local map, but never looked it up - it's next to Kensington in one direction and the old Doornfontein gold mine in the other, so also quite unlike rural Worcestershire.

Johannesburg Airport (O R Tambo) is often referred to as "Kempton Park" by the locals, as that is where it was built.
Kempton Park town is just north/west of the airport.
I can't work out if there is a modern Kempton Park railway station*; the Gautrain station just outside the airport terminal is called (for now!) Rhodesfield.
It turns out Kempton Park is not named after the racecourse near Sunbury, but after the original farmer of the land who was from Kempten, Bavaria.

There are Paddington and King's Cross suburbs in Sydney, but only King's Cross has a station of its name.
And then every Russian empire station is a "Voksal", allegedly named after Vauxhall in London where the Russians supposedly discovered railways.

* actually there is, on Metrorail, and called Kemptonpark.

I don't think there's any connection here, given that the station in Dublin is named for Seán Heuston.
Euston in London is named after the small village of Euston in Suffolk.
The Earl of Euston (a subsidiary title of the Duke of Grafton) owned the land on which Stephenson's railway station was built.
He was also Viscount Ipswich and Baron Sudbury so maybe we got the best name. ;)

Last edited:

davetheguard

Established Member
Oxford is a translation of Coevorden, Netherlands.

As is Bosphorus, but there is unfortunately no station in Turkey of that name, even though the railway now goes under that important sea lane with Europe on one side & Asia on the other.

Spandau

Coming from the Wirral, I couldn’t help smiling at the Downtown West/Kerby c-Train stop in Calgary.
Another Wirral name on the Bergen tram line in Norway - Nesttun

Attachments

• 5632F123-3953-4F29-A959-0145F61AF14C.jpeg
    5632F123-3953-4F29-A959-0145F61AF14C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6

duncanp

Established Member
In the US. New Jersey transit has Hamilton, Woodbridge, Chatham, Stirling and Bridgewater.

Also in New Jersey, the Hudson-Bergen light rail has Newport, and the Newark light rail has Warren Street

The St Louis Metrolink also has Emerson Park , in addition to the ones I mentioned earlier.

In Pennsylvania, the SEPTA regional rail system has Stratford, Croydon, Warminster, Cheltenham and Bristol

In New York City, there is a Clifton station on the Staten Island Railway.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
There's a Hastings on the Stony Point line in Victoria, Australia and formerly there was one in New Zealand too, but that closed in 2001.

As for America, there's a Hastings in Nebraska served daily by Amtrak's California Zephyr, although that's named for a Colonel Hastings of the St. Joseph and Grand Island Railway rather than the English town, with a Hastings-on-Hudson in New York that is served by the Metro-North Railroad. There was also formerly a Hastings on the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority's commuter rail network, but that looks to have closed last December due to low ridership and accessibility issues.

duncanp

Established Member
The Long Island Railroad in New York has Woodside (Croydon Tramlink), St James (Tyne & Wear Metro) plus Brentwood and Kings Park

On the Metro North Railroad, there is Scarborough, Southport, Stratford, Ludlow and Greenwich

and for real obscurity, there is West End on the DART system in Dallas, Texas. (also on the Edinburgh tram system)

Class800

Established Member
Shanghai Xi Zhan - Shang = On, Hai = Sea, Xi = West, Zhan = station --> a 'reasonable' match for Westgate-on-Sea station???

wimbledonpete

There's a Sao Joao on the Lisbon suburban network which pretty much means St Johns. Not sure if they also have a sign up translating as "Not calling at St Johns" (One for the South Eastern oldies...)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Both London and Manchester Victoria are often shortened to "Vic." There's a Vic station on Catalonia's R3 route.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
There's been a thread somewhat akin to this one, about a year ago, in "General Discusssion" -- commencing 23 / 4 / 2020: TRIVIA -- Places in the UK with a namesake (or similar sounding place name) in mainland Europe. (I'm afraid I'm useless at doing links to "Forums" threads; and [see below] am not equipped to do foreign accents on letters.)

That thread was about places in general, not necessarily ones with a railway station; and only exact or fairly near-so, likenesses in sound or spelling -- no translations between dissimilar words in different languages. A goodly number of items submitted in the thread were rail-station-related, however. My own favourite, which I posted in that thread, is a rail-station-or-halt "threesome" -- all pronounced alike or nearly so -- to wit: Ash (Surrey); Asch (Ulm, Germany, light rail system); and As [little v-shaped accent over the s], at the westernmost extremity of the Czech Republic.

Status
Not open for further replies.